How will Whitecaps 2011 24 Man Squad Come Together?

Ok, so with all due respect to all their supporters on the board, from 2007 until recently, TFC has been an absolute horror show when it comes to scouting and signing players. We don't need to recount all this history, but I would like to know general thoughts on what the Caps will do differently and whether it will be successful?

For their part, the Lenarduzzi/Thordarsson scouting and signing hasn't exactly been great. It looks to me though that both these fine gentlemen will be making these same decisions come 2011. I've heard a lot of speculation amongst supporters as to how many Canadians will come home, and how many 2010 Caps will be left, etc.

For the record, here's my take:

-Points in April are as valuable as points in October, and with this in mind I think they should use Teitur's expertise to look at players who go out of contract come 31.12.2010. These leagues would include Russia, Sweden, Norway, amongst others. Mid-range players in these league are affordable and are used to the plastic pitches and crap weather we find in Vancouver. If a DP or two should be available in the summer window, great. But if not, we're not sitting around waiting for a saviour as we sink down the table.

-As much as I'd love to see new players come into the league, the club has a long tradition of signing Americans and I would expect with the current regulations this will continue and Soehn, Bobby, & Co will draw heavily on the expansion and college drafts. Not sure I like it, but I think we can expect it.

-I predict a lot more of the current cast of characters will be around than people may think. We currently have no salary cap and no significant roster restrictions. What else would we be doing this year if not trialing players for MLS? Those players that are getting consistent minutes are likely to stick around, IMO. Stewart, Nash, Bellisomo, Knight, Tsaka****iticantspellhisname, Akwari, are going to play some part next year in terms of making up the numbers.

I'd guess that the entire backline unit, except Taka Hirano will be along for MLS.

That is Chris WIlliams, Blake Wagner, Greg Janicki, Nelson Akwari, Wes Knight, Mouloud Akloul, and Tsiskaridze

That is 7 players.

Add the Midfielders likely to go: Nash, Bellisomo, Gage, Khalfan, Moose, A. Toure, Jonny Steele, That brings you to 14.

Add a few guys up front that are exisitng: D. Toure, Stewart, Bonsu, and Orgill that gets you to 18, add Nolly and another keeper and you are at 20.

That leaves 4 spots wide open, plus likely 4 of the guys above listed not "making the cut"

I can't see Nash making an MLS team but I guess I am in the minority on that one. He has no pace and is too late, too often, trying to defend.

Teitur and expertise should not be put in the same sentence. I would prefer to have a different coach come next year. He is very basic, just listen to him explain a game and you see that.

We'll sign a DP in function of having a Spurs man in the front office. He'll be English and won't have played for a Spurs rival in London.

MLS teams are normally made up of rather odd combinations of players.

I'd guess that the entire backline unit, except Taka Hirano will be along for MLS.

That is Chris WIlliams, Blake Wagner, Greg Janicki, Nelson Akwari, Wes Knight, Mouloud Akloul, and Tsiskaridze

That is 7 players.

Add the Midfielders likely to go: Nash, Bellisomo, Gage, Khalfan, Moose, A. Toure, Jonny Steele, That brings you to 14.

Add a few guys up front that are exisitng: D. Toure, Stewart, Bonsu, and Orgill that gets you to 18, add Nolly and another keeper and you are at 20.

That leaves 4 spots wide open, plus likely 4 of the guys above listed not "making the cut"

I'd be shocked if anywhere near that many guys made it. For the Impact I'm not expecting any more than maybe DiLorenzo, Testo, Pesoli, Placentino, DeRoux, Gatti and a big maybe to Jordan, Soares and Billy. 8 or 9 tops. I expect our staff to fill the rest with lots of youngish, serviceable MLS and D2 Euro players (and of course a DP).

How many did the Sounders take, like a half dozen?

Le Toux, Levesque, Nyassi, Scott, Eylander, and that Graham guy who's never actually played for them...am I forgetting anyone?

Le Toux was an important player for them, obviously, but he was a dominant player when in USL, do the Whitecaps have someone of that caliber?

Levesque and Nyassi are important depth players, Scott's a deep depth guy and Eylander was a backup keeper.

Vancouver is a different animal because of the academy, and the sheer number of young players they could bring along, but as far as veterans, I would bet on no more 4 or 5 (and one of those will be Nash).

You guys might keep 10 players, mostly younger guys with upside.

Keeping the 16-20 players listed above will land you in the basement guaranteed.

I don't disagree. Though the current roster was unbeaten in the Vs Cup and very sound defensively. With 8 new players in the expansion draft and/or a DP or two, some offensive punch could round out the squad into a competitive club. I guess it really depends who is available.

The Caps situation is going to be different from Seattle, not only because of the academy, but also because it appears the manager and staff will remain in place. I'm not sure how the USSF transfer window works, but with June 30 approaching, we may see an influx of trialist into the club over the summer. That could be interesting and change this debate significantly.

That is 7 players.

Not at all, a little over optmistic

I'd go Nolly and we'll ad a MLS/vetrean backup someone who can challenge Nolly

Defenders I'd take Akwari, Knight and Tsiskaridze maybe Williams or Akoul.

Midfielders Bellisomo, A, Toure, Steele and Moose.

Forwards you may be right and all four of those guys may make the cut.

that's like 11 guys from the MLS team, hopefully 2 DP's and then 11 spots to fill with the Superdraft, Exspansion Draft and Transfer window.

I wouldn't take more than 13 guys from the existing squad, especially commit to them early we are gonna have a very wide open training camp, we a notourious early starters and I assume Teitur if it's still him around to start early again and probably have a massive camp. Gonna be a lot of names out there. I don't think handcuffing ourselves with the te team we already ahve is the right thing to do, we need new Talent in Vancouver, the MLS is definitely a big step up in skill. We will be lining our squad up to the Sounders and on paper they take us 5-0 everytime in my books if healthy.

It depends on how many they can "hide" in the academy or other places. I don't rate the expansion draft very highly as that is mostly players who their own team doesn't want. They are mostly journeymen who can shine but usually don't. The NCAA draft I would place higher. No I don't think Nash will make it. So with all that said here are my picks to move up with the team (not all will be starters of course):

Jay Nolly

Nelson Akwari

Mouloud Akloul

Luca Bellisomo

Wes Knight

Zurab Tsiskaridze

Nizar Khalfan

Ansu Toure

Cornelius Stewart

Dever Orgill

Randy Edwini-Bonsu

Doudou Toure

^ One could also argue that you were winless in the V's Cup ;)

As a caps fan I'm on that side of the fence as well, if we want to compete with the Sounders, Caps need to take about 11 at the max from our team and use trades, Superdraft, Expansion draft and transers to get the rest in here.

We will most liklely need 2 DP's, I can see Tsiskaridze, Bellisomo, Akwari, Knight, Steele, A.Toure, Moose, Bonsu, Stewart, Orgill and Nolly making the cut (bolded will be there for sure IMO) and you could argue maybe a few others can out compete some of the expansion picks for a bench spot. I can't see Nash making the cut. He will be around though I would assume, coaching duties a la Dichio.

A. Toure is gonna be a major catalyst for the offense though I strongly believe in a more fluent MLS game where skill really can flourish more he is gonna eat up fullbacks for lunch.

I'm sorry but people are listing names for the sake of listing names. A year and a half ago, Orgill used to be at the top of the Whitecaps young striker depth chart. Since the beginning of the season he has been passed by 3 guys!! Edwini-Bonsu, Stewart and Doudou. He has attitude problems and knocked the red card out of a referee's hand at a PDL game last weekend. You think the 5th choice striker on an NASL team is going MLS?!?

Gage hasn't gotten a first team game in 12 months. He doesn't even dress anymore. He is so far down the depth chart that the team uses him as an outside back in training just to make up the numbers. I like the kid and wish him nothing but the best, but he is a lot closer to FC Edmonton than he is to MLS. (No disrespect to FC Edmonton. I was just thinking that as an Alberta guy, it would be a logical choice).

One brilliant game in 5 from the likes of Toure, Moose, Khalfan, don't cut it. There is a reason why guys like Wagner, Janicki and Akwari are not in MLS anymore. These guys have a chance, but they have to show a lot more than what they have so far.

As of right now, there are 3 players that should be around next year for sure: Nash, Nolly and Knight. That is it.

New kit, new stadium, new league...and you think they are going to keep 3/4 of the same team that has not looked impressive in division 2?

I'm sorry but people are listing names for the sake of listing names. A year and a half ago, Orgill used to be at the top of the Whitecaps young striker depth chart. Since the beginning of the season he has been passed by 3 guys!! Edwini-Bonsu, Stewart and Doudou. He has attitude problems and knocked the red card out of a referee's hand at a PDL game last weekend. You think the 5th choice striker on an NASL team is going MLS?!?

Gage hasn't gotten a first team game in 12 months. He doesn't even dress anymore. He is so far down the depth chart that the team uses him as an outside back in training just to make up the numbers. I like the kid and wish him nothing but the best, but he is a lot closer to FC Edmonton than he is to MLS. (No disrespect to FC Edmonton. I was just thinking that as an Alberta guy, it would be a logical choice).

One brilliant game in 5 from the likes of Toure, Moose, Khalfan, don't cut it. There is a reason why guys like Wagner, Janicki and Akwari are not in MLS anymore. These guys have a chance, but they have to show a lot more than what they have so far.

As of right now, there are 3 players that should be around next year for sure: Nash, Nolly and Knight. That is it.

New kit, new stadium, new league...and you think they are going to keep 3/4 of the same team that has not looked impressive in division 2?

^^ Finally some clarity

Yeah that's the lead balloon that brought this thread back down somewhere closer to reality.

I could certainly see 5 guys or so making the transition. Tough question about what to do with some of the younger guys, clearly they aren't ready for the big time yet and need somewhere to continue to develop. It's tough to bring them along at the back end of the roster, maybe the reserve league will make a comeback sometime soon.

I think if Van relies on their current roster and the expansion draft they will find season one very difficult. There is plenty of lead time going into 2011 - let's hope the networks are in place or at least being built so that when you combine your current side as well as expansion picks, there is a decent foundation and all you need is to reel in 3-4 MLS quality players (total), from here or abroad, at F/M/D and you should have a balanced side that can compete and then it will come down to coaching.

This sounds like a pool in the making, for both teams.

I wouldn't bet on more than 5 or 6 players coming through, and Nash. And yes, I write it that way on purpose.

I think I get your drift. I think he'll get his one year bite-at-the-cherry but it's hard to get around the reasons that Ed clearly described earlier.

I hear what you're saying, and I do think the starting 11 is probably made up of a DP, some drafts, and some trades -none of whom are on the squad now. But what I don't understand is why -if there are several foreign (non-MLS) signings to come, why these guys wouldn't be coming into to trial more frequently? My presumption is that guys like Doudou and Stewart are guys who they think have enough potential for MLS, or I see no reason to play them now.

I tend to agree that you only have maybe three or four of the current starters or top 14 who could play in MLS. Other thing is if you bring up a few of the kids hoping they take a step up too.

But you still have to see what they can do with what is left of the season, they still have a chance to step up and show their worth for MLS. As I see it, everyone still has their chance, but time is going to run out on the trial period and anyone not excellent for the USSF-Div II level won't go to MLS.

Nash goes for sure, however much he really ends up playing.

Aren't you guys worried about not having enough quality Canadian players on your MLS team? I believe there suppose to be like 11 domestic players on the team. I think Whitecaps should worry more on that than anything else.

Aren't you guys worried about not having enough quality Canadian players on your MLS team? I believe there suppose to be like 11 domestic players on the team. I think Whitecaps should worry more on that than anything else.

Definitely, i have thought about that, a little bit. As it stands we have maybe 5 MLS quality Canadians in Nash, Bellisomo, Gage, Bonsu and probably could take Pelc or Thomas as a backup goalie.; though Johnson, Jakovic, Ribiero, and Hainault might be available. Hemming and the other USL/NASL Canadians could be taken into consideration, plus could be more than enough guys in Europe who might ready to come home to finish there careers in players like Stalteri, Nakajima's, De Jong, and so on. I even have a feeling that Friend could be lured here just like JDG was to TFC.

Whitecaps should be fine they will be an attractive destination for players, I believe.

masster, I wasn't throwing out names just for the sake of putting them out there. Like I said not all will be starters and it will be interesting to see how many the Caps "loan out" or something else. Of the 11 I named 4 were very young strikers (Cornelius Stewart, Dever Orgill, Randy Edwini-Bonsu, Doudou Toure). They are all interesting projects and you can't really tell yet which ones if any will work out. It is worth it to bring them along because you if any of them work out it is huge and with strikers you never know.

The others I think they can play at the MLS level. They might not be consistent enough for my liking but you could say that about most MLS players. Some have faded from their previous good form or hit a plateau. Some may bounce back and take their game to the next level some won't.

Like the other poster said I think Nash will be there in a coaching capacity.

Anyway we'll see on opening day.

masster, I wasn't throwing out names just for the sake of putting them out there. Like I said not all will be starters and it will be interesting to see how many the Caps "loan out" or something else. Of the 11 I named 4 were very young strikers (Cornelius Stewart, Dever Orgill, Randy Edwini-Bonsu, Doudou Toure). They are all interesting projects and you can't really tell yet which ones if any will work out. It is worth it to bring them along because you if any of them work out it is huge and with strikers you never know.

The others I think they can play at the MLS level. They might not be consistent enough for my liking but you could say that about most MLS players. Some have faded from their previous good form or hit a plateau. Some may bounce back and take their game to the next level some won't.

Like the other poster said I think Nash will be there in a coaching capacity.

Anyway we'll see on opening day.

yeah, I tend to agree with you, I've been back and forth, but my instinct say Nash will be there in a coaching role, and that more of our players that are here will prove that they can be the reserves for the MLS club, I doubt more than 3 can be regular starters, but their is no question in my mind a handful of them could play the Ty Harden/Dan Gargan role. Bench players in the MLS are not consistent by any means, but then bench players don't really need to be.

One thing is for sure tho they will be in camp and it would be dumb not to invite as many guys as we can. It's gonna be a huge number for our camp and it's gonna be long and grueling. I personally can't wait for this USSF season to wrap up and get the Caps back to training camp, lol. I really hope as a expansion team we can get our camp started early like TT likes to do I know that their may be some MLS rule restricting when you start up.

Archived