Cross Canada Checkup... World Cup Fever in Canada?

strobe_z

World Cup fever has seen growth in Canada (well i suppose I can only say in my locale for sure but if one looks at the numbers...) in a way that's akin to other North American tournaments such as playoffs or NCAA but the real test is to gauge if this turns into a real hunger for the game once this tourney finishes. I'm glad Vancouver is joining MLS in a World cup year and hope it's reflected in their future success (in attendance). With the friendlies fast approaching perhaps we'll see improvement in support for Canada If the ticketing process improves as I think it will and they can get into Canadian hands.

Now can the friendlies be enough a success to help grow numbers for traveling support for the Gold cup? I know I get ahead of myself but i never said I'm not a dreamer...

What's that? You have a thing that night? More to the point, you now say you don't have a thing and you aren't going to go and support your country's team because, and I quote, "It's Canada"?

GO KILL YOURSELF.

Heh, funny stuff.

The biggest problem is that most people are lazy sheep. In terms of World Cup bandwagoners, these people seem to be coming out of the woodwork with an interest in soccer because the media (and corporate advertisers) pump it hard, people talk about it, and so it becomes an ever-present event that even non-footie people can easily get into. You don't have to be a "soccer person" to get into the World Cup.

The problem is generating more interest in less glamorous tournaments that Canada participates in, such as the Gold Cup and especially our World Cup qualification campaign. But at present, do Canadian corporations care? Do Canadian media outlets care? Will some NHL game between two American clubs get more/better media coverage than our WCQs in 2012, even on the CBC Sports website? Will there be any hype, any excitement? Any water-cooler chit-chat? If not, then the sheep of Canadian society probably won't even realize that Canada will even be a part of a WCQ campaign. Most of us on the Voyaguers board don't need a TV advertisement to tell us when the WCQs roll around, but surely the average "bring-your-ancestral-homeland-car-flag-out-of-the-closet-once-every-four-years" Canadian does.

So... how can we generate interest? Ultimately it's the CSA's job, but having three Canadian MLS clubs by 2012 will surely help. Can the Voyageurs help with promoting interest as well? Hmmmm....

Another side benefit (aside from watching pain being inflicted) is being able to ask the hockey fans I'm watching with whether they still think everybody fakes being hurt.
or

So here I am in Brasil, after the last game ...which i watch in a small city in the Amazon.. ( Santa Ines Maranhao for the geographic types ...they through a street party.... i.e. closed down a main drag... sold cold beer .. had music from the back of cars..then a band playing Pagode.. on a erected stage... basically everyone in town turned up in Brasil colours, drank beer danced and generally had a FESTA.

Now since I think Brasil will defeat Holland ( sorry JohnTV ) and i will be back in Canada for the finals... do I get to wear a Brasil Jersey.. and hope they win..or is that plastic ? Do I bring back a car flag or any one of the hundreds of other items on sale on every street corner to support the Brasilian selecao ?

Hell am I allowed to drink Bramha when i get back to Canada ... even though they are official supporters of the Brasilian team.. just what am i to do .. watch the game without cheering for anyone ? Thats like kissing..

your sister well at least for most of us it is...

So what should I do ?

Everything above aside from wearing the Brazil kit. If you were Brazilian I'm all for fans having two teams ie Canada and Brazil but if you're just a tourist there wearing their kit would be plastic imho.

But at present, do Canadian corporations care?

Have you seen CIBC's commercials for the world cup? "The world competes, we cheer" really? it makes me want to puke. Along with this, the commercial shows a bunch of supposed CIBC employees cheering for nations you would never guess based on their name/ethnicity. I don't get it.

http://www.avclub.com/videocracy/17880/

OMFG! Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse! I don't know if it was the laughter or the noise but I am in tears right now. BAN THIS CRAP!!!!

That is one of the worst, most uncomfortable things I've ever watched in my life. I was on the fence with the vuvuzelas in the early stages of the tourney, but at this point, anyone seen carrying one, let alone blowing on it, should be beaten to unconsciousness.

Kudos to the CBC tonight for abandoning the nightly celebration of fans from the participating countires and instead taking a look at what it would take to put Canada in the 2014 World Cup. Peter Montopoli appealing to potential sponsors on our national news network shows some commitment from the CSA. But lots of questions raised about the CSA by Bob Lenarduzzi and others, and given the situation with the Alberta Soccer Assocation and the other provincial organizations, the more questions raised the better.

Archived