Alberta Soccer Fiasco

oc64

Anyone have any legitimate ideas for sorting out the soccer mess in Alberta? I personally think allowing Mario Charpentier and Collin Innes to have power is a disaster for soccer in Alberta and soccer in Canada (they are firmly in bed with the old boys club of CSA)

The board voted in at the SGM in April is likely facing a prolonged legal battle if they hope to maintain power.

Any ideas or thoughts?

Also, do any of you support the CSA ruling ignoring the results of the April SGM? If so, why? Maybe there is something here I am missing

Interesting comments by Maestracci considering he was one of the orchestrators of this whole thing, by encouraging Mario C. and co. to sack President Chris Billings. What a great bunch, kick a guy out, then tell him to appear in front of the miscreants who illegally suspended him and if !!! he loses he can appeal to one of the originators of the whole affair. Wow - is this North Korea?!!! Hope Il Dong Maestracci is having a good time at our expense in South Africa.

Interesting comments by Maestracci considering he was one of the orchestrators of this whole thing, by encouraging Mario C. and co. to sack President Chris Billings. What a great bunch, kick a guy out, then tell him to appear in front of the miscreants who illegally suspended him and if !!! he loses he can appeal to one of the originators of the whole affair. Wow - is this North Korea?!!! Hope Il Dong Maestracci is having a good time at our expense in South Africa.
CSA will impose a trusteeship for three years on Alberta, and run the association with a designated trustee, one of the old boys of soccer that the Don owes a favor too.

It will happen after World Cup.

CSA will impose a trusteeship for three years on Alberta, and run the association with a designated trustee, one of the old boys of soccer that the Don owes a favor too.

It will happen after World Cup.

Is that a guess or is it based on some information you have?

Two ways to crack these organizations who do wrong things. One is to gather evidence with the help of a mole and the sue them in Court. The other is to set up an undercover sting operation to expose them and then sue them in Court.

Interesting comments by Maestracci considering he was one of the orchestrators of this whole thing, by encouraging Mario C. and co. to sack President Chris Billings.

I've never heard this part. Is there any proof of this?

I've never heard this part. Is there any proof of this?

No DNA or smoking gun, just circumstantial evidence that goes back at least 3 years linking Traficante and Charpentier with Maestracci and Montagliani. Some things just smell so bad that they make themselves perfectly clear.

I think part of the proof is in the communications from CSA to ASA. CSA keeps stating that they support Mario yet Mario has not been required to officially file an appeal or even request their support. Chris is required to jump through all sorts of hoops. Mario can do it however he wants.

Is that a guess or is it based on some information you have?

Just cast some chicken bones... and read some tea leaves, its the only way CSA can save face, it cant let the reformers win, so it wants a stalemate then they come in and take control, till the reformers are so pissed about things they go away.

Dom will talk to Jack Warner and Warner will tell him how to do it.. as its done in the Caribbean Football Federation.... past practice past history repeating itself.

The only way to stop it, is if the other provinces step in at the CSA level and say no, I doubt they will.

They have been way to silent on this ... BC, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec where are the statements coming from the provincial bodies ?

Why are the reformers in Alberta not writing to the other provinces and asking for statements of support ?

Just cast some chicken bones... and read some tea leaves, its the only way CSA can save face, it cant let the reformers win, so it wants a stalemate then they come in and take control, till the reformers are so pissed about things they go away.

Dom will talk to Jack Warner and Warner will tell him how to do it.. as its done in the Caribbean Football Federation.... past practice past history repeating itself.

The only way to stop it, is if the other provinces step in at the CSA level and say no, I doubt they will.

They have been way to silent on this ... BC, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec where are the statements coming from the provincial bodies ?

Why are the reformers in Alberta not writing to the other provinces and asking for statements of support ?

An interesting statement was given from Mario Charpentier to the Zone Members in his Edmonton Minor Soccer Association after the May 19th CSA AGM. He explained why it was necessary for the Alberta delegation to vote against governance reform, "only 2 countries out of 200 use that kind of method, we have a good system, we don't need change". That's not an exact quote but it's close. The original statement has been removed from EMSA websites, obviously they realized that it made them look ridiculous. Reform Provincial Associations are in contact with each other, they are likely playing their cards carefully at this stage. Ontario and Saskatchewan are well aware of the Alberta situation but there is a limit to what they can do at the moment.

Someone should ask him how many countries use the "Fund your programs by charging 6-year-olds $7/year" method. I think he'd find the number to be less than 2...
Someone has to pay for the 1000 dollar a night hotels in Joberg..who better then seven year olds.

South Africa is actually one of the cheapest places on the planet.

L.T. - I think you're in a precarious position to be commenting on kids paying $7 a year, but no need to hijack the thread so I'll let it go.

Thanks for the updates.

South Africa is actually one of the cheapest places on the planet.

King Deluxe suite at $1270.00 Canadian per nite.... F1 hotel at 75.00 Canadian per nite.. guess which one the CSA is not staying in ?

I have stayed in F1 hotels..perfectly fine bed, small shower and toilet but they normally go for half the price.

Someone has to pay for the 1000 dollar a night hotels in Joberg..who better then seven year olds.

It's my understanding that FIFA pays the whole shot for events like this. And they can easily afford it.

However, we're hijacking this thread - it's about the Alberta situation! In my opinion, poorly handled by the CSA. They've clearly taken sides - at least certain members of the Executive - and chosen to ignore their own (CSA) rules.

It's my understanding that FIFA pays the whole shot for events like this. And they can easily afford it.

However, we're hijacking this thread - it's about the Alberta situation! In my opinion, poorly handled by the CSA. They've clearly taken sides - at least certain members of the Executive - and chosen to ignore their own (CSA) rules.

Bill has it exactly right. They're doing the same thing that the ousted ASA Board did. It's an outrageous situation - it's chaos when an organization won't follow it's own bylaws and rules.

Will he sit on the sidelines hoping to ride under the radar in terms of this issue of governance, it would seem to me the Ontario Soccer Association Past President is in a perfect place to find a way out of this mess for the CSA executive and indeed for Soccer in Alberta, why does he not speak up and offer to review the issues in a formal way on behalf of the CSA and then offer up a plan for Alberta to return to good governance, based on open elections by the members of a new executive..who ever they may be.

Seems to me you can get 100% of Alberta Association members out to meeting to elect a new executive, with Clive Wilkonson monitoring the vote and election procedures to follow the Alberta constitution ...its seems like a way out for the CSA who if they go for trustee-ship will surely be in court to defend how they have the right to take over the Alberta Soccer association, or indeed how they could justify expulsion and the formation of a new association with a new corporate identity.

I like the idea. I'm not sure how many votes Mario and his group control vs. votes control by Chris and his group, but at least no one could argue the election was unfair. (unless I'm missing something)

I like the idea. I'm not sure how many votes Mario and his group control vs. votes control by Chris and his group, but at least no one could argue the election was unfair. (unless I'm missing something)

There's no doubt it would be an extremely close vote, quite likely with the edge to the the Districts who voted to oust the former board. If there's any chance of losing, Mario and co. would never agree to it. He would object to Clive for the simple reason that he would be fair and unbiased.

A little background information. The OSA was originally implicated in the Alberta situation because of certain expenses incurred during the National Club Championships hosted by Alberta last October. Included in the various e-mails floating around earlier this year was one to all Alberta members that arguably cast the OSA in a bad light. Clive Wilkinson - then OSA President - responded to the Alberta members who received this e-mail to clarify and rectify this o/s issue. He was then accused by the Alberta Board at that time of interfering in ASA's internal affairs. As a result, I don't think one of the two groups battling it out in Alberta would consider Clive to be fair and unbiased.

However, the process that Trillium has outlined - a new election supervised by the CSA - is exactly what some members of the CSA have suggested is the way out of this mess. Based on his public pronouncements, it doesn't appear that the CSA President shares those views. From what I have read, he seems to believe:

1) That the suspension of Chris Billings is valid - despite the fact that it violates CSA's own rules

2) That the Alberta SGM (that removed nine directors) was invalid - despite the fact that no-one had formally complained or appealed to the CSA

Further, he appears to believe that Chris Billings should appear before a committee - struck by his opponents - to answer the charges against him. (I can understand why Chris refuses to do this!)

Unless the CSA President changes his position - or the CSA Executive or Board over-rule him, I don't see any quick resolution.

A little background information. The OSA was originally implicated in the Alberta situation because of certain expenses incurred during the National Club Championships hosted by Alberta last October. Included in the various e-mails floating around earlier this year was one to all Alberta members that arguably cast the OSA in a bad light. Clive Wilkinson - then OSA President - responded to the Alberta members who received this e-mail to clarify and rectify this o/s issue. He was then accused by the Alberta Board at that time of interfering in ASA's internal affairs. As a result, I don't think one of the two groups battling it out in Alberta would consider Clive to be fair and unbiased.

I had forgotten about that. I'm not sure what Clive said exactly or what was said back but that sounds like an accurate recap.

If not Clive and OSA, then who would be suitable. I'm sure Mario's group would love Mike Traficante to be the unbiased CSA representative but that isn't going to fly either.

I had forgotten about that. I'm not sure what Clive said exactly or what was said back but that sounds like an accurate recap.

If not Clive and OSA, then who would be suitable. I'm sure Mario's group would love Mike Traficante to be the unbiased CSA representative but that isn't going to fly either.

Clive sent a very nice letter to ASA informing the members that OSA never meant to have ASA pay the small bill for propane and that OSA would be sending a cheque to the supplier to cover it. He also indicated that he hoped that this would not cause any ill feelings in Alberta. Several members responded immediately to all the members of ASA and the Board (this was before the SGM that removed them) that ASA should thank Clive for the gesture but not accept the cheque. Of course this was one of the serious "allegations" that the evil Board used to "suspend" Chris. Maestracci and his gang were well aware of all these shenanigans thanks to Mike Traficante so absolutely no value can be placed on anything that emanates from his office. The unethical behaviour of these people is beyond belief. Unfortunately none of these guys would allow an impartial individual to step in - they have too much to lose now.

Archived