The Province - No Canada: What will it take for us to get back to a World Cup?

The Province (Vancouver's daily blue-collar newspaper) has a three-page article, including the entire back cover (the lead of the sports section), on Canada failing to qualify for its sixth-consecutive World Cup and what it will take to qualify in the future. It's written by Marc Weber, the Province's Whitecaps beat reporter.

It's online under two different names:

No Canada: What will it take for us to get back to a World Cup?

Team Canada is nowhere to be found as the world celebrates the beautiful game. CSA has fallen, and can't get up

...and...

Canada lacks plan to qualify for World Cup

Changes made in player development now could take up to a decade to see at international level

We need someone with a ****load of money to come in, dictate everything, and turn things around - ie what happened in Australia. However, seeing as how we live in the most politcally correct country in the world where everyone just complains, and a soccer mom is just as equal to someone who actually knows the game and what they're talking about, nothing will change. I can only imagine how much better shape we'd be in if Colin Linford and Fred Nykamp got a chance to take charge and implement changes instead of having our idiot provincial representitives continue to suck the life out of the sport at the board level for their own regional interests.

I thought it was a pretty good article. Nice to see it make the back cover. Sure it's stuff that most of us already know but always good to see someone willing to say it. I like the "accidents do happen" conclusion as well. Good on the province and Weber for running this one.

Archived