The Whitecaps' new logo unveiled: your thoughts?

cfof

newwhitecapslogowhite.jpg

After a whole half-hour, it's beginning to grow on me.

First off, THEY KEPT THE NAME! Thank Christ for that. I knew it wasn't exactly likely that they would become Real Pacific FC (or my personal favourite, Toke City FC – "The Potters"), but there was always that risk. So there was a little sigh of relief there.

Probably like you, one of my first thoughts upon seeing it was, "yes, well, it's kind of... plain" (taking great care to avoid the dreaded "B"-word). And while that is a valid criticism in my mind, it's also one of only two that I can think of, the other being the fact there was no place for an "86" somewhere (though I understand they might see that as "living in the past" or some such). Oh yes, and a trifling third: looks like it's "Vancouver Whitecaps FC" instead of just "Whitecaps FC", which I would have preferred.

But these are outweighed by its many good points:

1. No colour changes.

2. The shape is striking and, as far as I know, unique.

3. The "mountains" bring to mind the design of the new BC Place roof.

4. (Biggest for me) The "Whitecaps" along a solid blue bar in the centre tributes the word's place on the current and historical jerseys, which all accounts say will be replaced by a sponsor's logo.

5. The "V" and "W" shapes along the bottom.

6. And finally, the fact it will look great on a white home shirt... I hope they remember for the kit launch on Thursday that WHITE is the colour. And yes indeed, football is the game.

Now you have a go. What do you think?

As a graphic designer I'm glad another pro club in Canada has decided to actually budget for a proper design job. Minimal enough to look good small; self-contained, sober and professional. No dumb soccer balls, swoosh marks or ESPN/Star Trek fonts. Bravo. I can only hope the Impact follow suit prior to 2012.

copy/paste from the other thread FTW :)

Guest HamiltonSteelers

^ I wish Toronto FC had taken notes.

I was talking to the gentleman who wrote the "Toke City FC" list and we agreed that it's too bad there's nothing iconic about Toronto other than the CN Tower, which I'm also grateful was not included in the TFC crest.

Agreed with the no animal/swooshing ball on fire bs.

The logo is serious and potentially timeless. It looks like a major league logo.

I'm a huge fan of the VW icons. Clever and clean.

I like the mountains above VANCOUVER, and the reflections of said mountains that make up the bottom of the graphic. Now, I may just be getting picky, or my monitor isn't set right, but that appears to me to be a much darker blue than what is being used now. Either way, I really like the logo, as it is symbolic of Vancouver without ramming it down your throat. It also is very reflective of the moniker, Whitecaps. Well done 'Caps, and let's be sure that the jersey follows suit.

I have to make it unanimous, I too like it a lot. Its very rare to have unanimity in regards to likes and dislikes of logo. So they must be on to something.

Another thing to like about it is that its fairly easy to artistically recreate on your own (eg.: Banners, flags.....etc ). Unlike, say, a logo that looks like the Canadian Coat of arms which is way over the top in terms of being elaborate and detailed. I brought up this example because it ( or a derivate of he coat of arms) was brought up here in a past discussion on logos for the National teams ( i think). Personally, I hated the idea of going with something that detalied or elaborate..... for soccer uniforms or logos that is.

I have to make it unanimous, I too like it a lot. Its very rare to have unanimity in regards to likes and dislikes of logo. So they must be on to something.

Another thing to like about it is that its fairly easy to artistically recreate on your own (eg.: Banners, flags.....etc ). Unlike, say, a logo that looks like the Canadian Coat of arms which is way over the top in terms of being elaborate and detailed. I brought up this example because it ( or a derivate of he coat of arms) was brought up here in a past discussion on logos for the National teams ( i think). Personally, I hated the idea of going with something that detalied or elaborate..... for soccer uniforms or logos that is.

Now with one canadian MLS team having gone with the sheild and the other using a lozenge-shape, it seems that by default the Impact is left to the circular badge design (if they redesign which I hope they do) which I favored anyways in the first place.

I love it personally, I think it expresses VanCity more than the old logo, yes it has maybe drawn away from the pcean more than maybe it should, but the diversity of Vancouver landscape needed to be captured. I really think this compromise has worked very well, it keeps some tradition while also keeping up with the modernization of the game.

People will complain just to complain, and will be able to bring up a hundreds little defects they can make up in their head, but the good thing is it's one of the better logos in the MLS and really that all that matters.

Archived