Joqueviel leaves Impact

Sad to hear this. We had heard before that he had personal problems in France that were affecting his play. He was one of our best players the last two years but looked terrible this year. That combined with him leaving seem to indicate they are serious problems. Hopefully he can resolve them, he was a good guy as well as a good player.

DEFENDER CÉDRIC JOQUEVIEL LEAVES THE IMPACT

PRESS RELEASE: June 7, 2010

http://www.montrealimpact.com/News/News.aspx?language=EN&ArticleID=1402

MONTREAL – The Montreal Impact announced Monday that defender Cédric Joqueviel is leaving the club due to family reasons. Joqueviel, who will not return in 2010, is heading back home to Montpellier, France this week.

"I would like to thank the Impact for the wonderful adventures I’ve been able to experience over the last four years," said Joqueviel. "I had the chance to play for a first-class organization and I have nothing but good memories of my time here. I had the opportunity to win the Canada Cup, the Nutrilite Canadian Championship and the league championship, not to mention the incredible moments experienced during a memorable run in the CONCACAF Champions League as well as matches against prestigious international clubs. I leave with no regrets and will not close the door on Montreal, but for the moment, I have other matters to attend to."

"It’s unfortunate that he has to leave us halfway through the season, but we respect his decision because we believe family comes first," said Impact technical director Nick De Santis. "He was clearly distracted over the last few weeks. The door will always be open to Cédric and if he’d like to return, we’ll discuss the possibilities."

Joqueviel, 27, played 38 regular season matches for the Impact, 36 as a starter, for a total of 3,150 minutes of play. After playing the 2007 season with the Trois-Rivières Attak, Joqueviel was called up to the Impact in 2008. During his rookie year, the Impact finished the season with the second-best defensive unit in the league. Joqueviel helped to fill the void left by central defender Gabriel Gervais. He then played an important role in Montreal’s run to the quarterfinals of the CONCACAF Champions League.

In 2009, Joqueviel played all 540 minutes in Montreal’s six playoff games. This season, he took part in four regular season matches (360 minutes) and two matches in the Canadian Championship.

Joqueviel is under contract with Montreal until the end of the 2011 season. The Impact maintains a hold on his rights in North America.

That explains his weird lack of form this season. I hope he does eventually return. He is fun for a center back, willing to make a run if given the space. Aboubou has been playing well and Pesoli is a good option but after that we are fwcuked if one of them gets injured. I wonder is there anyone capable in the Academy or will they have to sign someone for cover at CB?

That explains his weird lack of form this season. I hope he does eventually return. He is fun for a center back, willing to make a run if given the space. Aboubou has been playing well and Pesoli is a good option but after that we are fwcuked if one of them gets injured. I wonder is there anyone capable in the Academy or will they have to sign someone for cover at CB?

Leduc can play center back and I think Gatti also played there once or twice.

Leduc can play center back and I think Gatti also played there once or twice.

Apparently Billy too, but it's always good to have 4 who aren't playing out of position. I really, really like Gatti so far this year though, I thought he was our best player against Milan.

Apparently Billy too, but it's always good to have 4 who aren't playing out of position. I really, really like Gatti so far this year though, I thought he was our best player against Milan.

They have to find a position for Simon Gatti, and stick with it. I think he will be following the team to MLS.

I wouldn't mind Wes Charles as a replacement option.

Archived