Vancouver MLS Logo - Cinema Public House - Tuesday June 8th @ 7:30pm

masster

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Despite the similie, I'm going springboard off this. The problem is that not enough people believe that points like unnammed trialist (who gets my vote for best screen nickname as well!) are of concern. After all, it's just some drawings. That's a slippery slope that leads all the way to "my kid's good with computers, let him design our logo". I brought this up over in the FC Edmonton thread. Design matters, it conveys meaning on several levels and good design ultimately isn't really a matter of opinion.

Vancouver's new crest isn't extremely bad, but it's not great either. Unammed trialist makes some very astute observations. I think what I'd like to add though is that they seem to have missed the spiritual mark in terms of their implementation. I can see how assigning a double meaning to "whitecaps" (i.e. mountains and waves) would give a more well-rounded representation of Vancouver... but they've simply shifted the focus to the mountains (and even then the moutains in the crest aren't exactly "white-capped" either.

I've been a fan of the 79 logo but the 2011 version is very well done. Yes they could try to be everything to everyone and make it cluttered and that would annoy people as well. The best logo in pro sports is the Steelers 3 inverted diamonds. Unique, simple and memorable. The Whitecaps obviously wanted to put Vancouver back in the name so that has to fit and it is very long so different sized fonts are required. Keeping the FC makes sense when you think about the number of objects (mountains = 3, reflections = 3, lines of text = 3). So they came up with a symmetrical, simply colored, stylish and somewhat unique version of gemetric shapes. As to the point about having the words shaded blue at the bottom because they are part of the reflection, no they aren't. The text is the foreground and the rest is the background / framing.

If you or anyone else thinks they can do better I'd love to see your versions. I'm not an art critic or the slightest bit artisticly inclined but I like simplicity (think Chinese brush stroke paintings) more than the modern or classic Euro styles. That is just my tastes and everyone will be different. I think that is the reason I like it. Just as the oriental brush stroke style paintings they look simple but the more you look the more you find. It is fun to let your mind find things rather than have it all given to you. Just my 2 cents worth.

You can please all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot please all the people all the time. The club has chosen their new logo and that's the end of it. It is more than passable, in fact the more I look at it the more I appreciate it's elegant simplicity and it's geographic and historical relevance. Thank goodness they kept the name and the blue and white colours, we should count our blessings!

Unnamed Trialist you have too much time on your hands. It is a crest a logo and it looks great. Your points might be correct for an art class but I think you analyze things too much. Have a beer and/or puff and it will grow on you.

:)

No shield, no ball and a nice clean symmetrical layout with the full city name. Yes keep the FC. It is what they are, a football club.

Sure, it might grow on me. I like the Blackhawks shirt, it is old fashioned and charming but impossible nowadays. I love a lot of old baseball logos. They are classic and sometimes a bit kitschy, but that is what they are, and you grow to love them. Could happen here. I did not like the old logo too much, but it had that 70s feel and I started watching the Caps in the 70s, my teens, so for me it was retro.

But that does not mean I have to jump on the unconscious bandwagon or renounce giving my opinion. It is just that and in fact I could have gone way further (eg: what exactly are the team colours according to this logo? Are we blue and white and fcking dynamite, or do we have to add a few tones to the chant to make it work? It matters. Like having to dump the great "Catch the Wave" slogan now that the mountains are apparently snow capped. And anyone dig the irony of Vancouver suffering terribly with no snow on the North Shore mountains when hosting the snow-starved Olympics? A rather cruel irony don't you think? Whitecaps on the water are weekly, yearround, whitecaps on the mountains are maybe, iffy, less in soccer season, and likely less and less forever. These are legitimate doubts and signs that the designer was really not doing his job well, he did not handle the meanings of the design correctly and they spin out of control).

I have no violent feelings about this but designing it is a job. Like having your car fixed, having someone lengthen a sleeve on your jacket; you may like how the car runs or how the clothes fit, you might be thrilled, but if a quality mechanic tells you the tune-up was not right or the cuff was sewn wrong you can tell him you don't care, you will live with it, or wonder why someone hired to do a job did not do it better. And a big factor there is the client, the better the client, the better the results, especially in a graphic design, in architecture.

Whitecaps are here a poor client and they hired someone who did not do a good job. Sorry, it is true. It leaves me totally flat, and there are good reasons for that.

Didn't someone on the southsiders board say an announcement on the kit and sponsor would be tomorrow? The news reports suggest an announcement is imminent.
Yes, there is a media call for Thursday 10:00am at which Paul Barber and Jeff Mallett will reveal the Whitecaps' Premier Founding Partner and unveil their new kit.

Yes, there is a media call for Thursday 10:00am at which Paul Barber and Jeff Mallett will reveal the Whitecaps' Premier Founding Partner and unveil their new kit.

The company I work for received the media call - the location is the 6th floor of the Bentall 5 building, where the Bell offices are.

I think most people see a logo and will have an opinion of between loving it and loathing it, but cannot always articulate why.

Unnamed Trialist quantifies some of these reasons why people might feel how they feel about logos. A well-written post.

I'm a bit indifferent about the logo, mostly because it's a bit too plain and non-distinct, but is already better than most MLS logos.

This logo variation was put up at Sportslogos.net and I think the small change makes a huge improvement, what do you think?

newlogostory.jpg

Our new logo down here in Portland is due to come out Saturday and I'm scared to death about what they might do to our logo, which I happen to like very much.

Looking forward to coming up into the league together in 2011 though, will be a great year.

Kits are out...

boring.

Yea nothing very interesting in the kit. I'd like to see the blue one and I think it might be the better of the two. Bell as the sponsor. Anyone heard how much they paid for the rights?

" In addition to Whitecaps FC’s MLS side, the new kit will be worn throughout the club, including Whitecaps FC’s W-League team, full-time Residency program, and the club's numerous Prospects teams. "

Very interesting that part. I guess MLS is okay with their branding and keeping the academy completely under the main umbrella now. There was some talk when they got the expansion franchise that they might rename some part different but it makes way more sense to do it all.

I really like the crest. The trailist has some good points, but like SthMelbRed says, it can't give us all a handjob.

For me, I would have loved to have seen Vancouver go with Whitecaps SC, thereby showing Toronto who has the biggest cajones in Canada, and sending everyone on one particular side of the soccer-football fence into a bloodthirsty rage.

Montreal, the ball is officially in your court.

Yeah, it should be SC, not FC.

Archived