TFC vs. Kansas City

jpg75

De Ro and most of the other starters were gassed in the 2nd half. Although the Ref evened things up mid-way through the second, TFC's 10 men had done a lot of running in the heat & sun for about 50 minutes and I think that killed most of the TFC players and certainly the game.

As for De Guzman, about 2 minutes after Barret was subbed off he pulled up and asked to be subbed off to, clutching his hamstring, only to be reminded by Labrocca that they'd already made their 3 subs by that point. I don't know if he completed a single pass after that and was often just walking around. He received some treatment during the game, but as soon as whistle blew he went immediately into the dressing room for treatment while all the other players stayed on the field. At least he's got 3 weeks to re-heal it. I was more frustrated with O'Brian White as he should have been running his socks off as the last sub yet instead of being high energy he seemed to be trotting out there and I can't remember him even touching the ball once. I caught sight of Preki screaming at him to run a bit more, so I suspect I wasn't the only one frustrated. Most of all though I was frustrated by that officiating. Blatent pk missed and completely inconsistent on what constituted a foul or was card-worthy.

When I posted the first comment I didn't know JDG was still struggling with his injury. A few minutes after, replay showed that his left leg was in pain. As for DeRo, he's an exceptional player when it comes to shot on the net or make good passes. The problem is when he has the ball and tries to drible, usually he'll run straight through the defender and lose the ball or like he did yesterday, running alone and left the ball behind (that's why I say often that I prefer to see him play as a striker, because it's a position where he must shot instead of dribbling). Don't get me wrong Gian-Luca, I consider DeRo TFC best player but he should play smarter and quicker when he has the ball on his feet.

I'm interested to know what people thought of Bunbury.

I liked some of his runs. He seemed to have pretty good speed and strength for someone his age, but I'll admit I missed stretches of the match.

He didn't have much of an impact on the game, but is only 20. One thing, he is a big strapping lad. Seems as tall, but "thicker", than his dad.

He didn't have much of an impact on the game, but is only 20. One thing, he is a big strapping lad. Seems as tall, but "thicker", than his dad.

Yes, he's a solid looking kid.

Regarding DeRo and DeGuzman: regardless of the latter's injury situation, both these guys struggle when they feel they have to "make it happen" every time they have the ball, force a low percentage play which then results in a possession loss. I saw a lot of this during the WCQ campaign under Yallop and noted my opinion at the time. Having said that, I think DeRo has improved as a playmaker: that pass to Peterson was perfectly timed, whereas the old DeRo may have dithered a bit on the ball allowing the covering defender to read they play and be better positioned. With DeGuzman, sometimes when things don't seem to be going right you've got to just keep moving the ball laterally or what have you, first time, even when your guys are calling "Time!" to you. Just keep the ball rolling with the simple pass to the easiest option wearing your colour of shirt and screw the opinions of some observers who say that because you're the DP you have to be extra special all the time. He had a really nice run and opportunity in the second half, by the way, so on another day he would have had a hat trick.

Is it just me or is OBW is plain lazy?!?

Honestly? He'd be a perfect fit with the Reggeaboyz... he plays as slow as a stoned rec league bench warmer... He was a substitute for gawd sakes, he shoulda been full of energy.

I thought PReki's criticism of Gala was unfair, but OBW certainly deserved the brunt of the criticism.

I think he has the skill, we've seen it with the beautiful chip in goal for last season... but I think whats lacking is his heart and desire.

If the fan's at BMO Field can't pump you up for a match like this, then honestly, I see his career going no-where in other MLS clubs. I say, "promote" Lindsay and sit OBW on the bench for a few games to send a message.

Good idea, Kyam. If i remember right, however, the league does not allow signing/playing until age 18, and although Lindsay may be ready he is underage.

Think what you have in mind there is the FIFA regulations about international transfers that stopped Amadou Sanyang from joining the senior roster until he turned 18. He played for TFC Academy for a few months because of that. Freddy Adu played in MLS when he was 14 and TFC obtained Abdus/Fuad Ibrahim in a trade from FC Dallas when he was 16 so there is definitely no league rule on that.

Totally random and quasi off-topic but with the lingering complaints about OBW and Barrett, I wonder how much a guy like former Ireland, Palace and Birmingham striker Clinton Morrison would cost ya. Out of a club now and only 30. 137 goals in 457 club appearances and 8 for (grandmother's) country. He was most recently failing to agree to terms with Coventry City in March. Just noticed his (lack of) club status and thought of TFC. He always played physical and with pace when I followed him with Ireland.

Good idea, Kyam. If i remember right, however, the league does not allow signing/playing until age 18, and although Lindsay may be ready he is underage.

I don't think that would be a problem, wasn't Ibrahim only 17 when he made his start?

My only concern is moving up a young player too fast in his development. I'm not sure how strong his competition is in the CSL, but if he has more to learn at the Academy level, then its best we keep him there.

But from what I saw against the Whitecap's, I felt he was stronger than some of our existing senior team offensive players. I wouldn't consider MLS a "big jump" by any means, so I don't think the pressure would be too much for him.

Archived