Fantastic article from NY times on Ajax youth academy

Soccerpro

This forum seems to be one of the very few places (if not the only one) in Canada where people throw out ideas on how to improve the game here. It's not a coach's forum per se but we need this kind of continuing dialgue across the country, I like a lot of what I read here.

kj52, it's going to be a slow progress to get the soccer culture here to where it is in alot of other places. That's not to say it can't happen, but it will take decades, not years. For now, just let the kids have fun, make sure they're working on their skills and let the chips fall as they may. When they hit their early teens and have made up their minds that they want to pursue a pro career in soccer, then spend the time moulding those that are serious and show potential.

It would impossible for the CSA to implement. However, clubs like Toronto and Vancouver could definately implement it.

It doesn't matter who implements it, the kids are the ones who will let you know if it's the right way or not. In Canada right now, alot of kids (and their parents) would not view Soccer as their #1 passion. They have alot of other options and for an 8-10 year old to have slog through a half day of machine-like training 3 times a week he better be in love with the sport because if he isn't he's going to want to play a host of other things instead (Hockey, Basketball, Baseball, piano lessons, Karate, Swimming...or just play video games or watch TV with friends).

I just want to say, my example of kids playing Futsal in high school with no coaches was not a means of replicating Ajax, but having our kids here do things outside the structure. It's a way or organizing, unorganized soccer if that makes any sense. Semi-organized?

Haven't got around to reading the article yet, but I think there are good things on the horizon for youth development.

I was at coaching at a youth tournament in Ottawa this weekend and the word around the host club Capital United was that a full-time soccer academy in Ottawa was in the works. This would be a European-esque residency program with soccer integrated with education, this would include daily training sessions as part of the school day.

Milltown FC is paving the way for professional club's association with youth clubs and the potential for a player to develop through the ranks.

Keeping it internal lowers the amount of games nessecary and changes the focus from winning matches and playing too many matches into more of a player development model with quality coaches. This follows the Ajax model of fewer games, more training sessions and more free-flowing expression during training sessions.

The dutch tried to emulate street soccer with small sided games back in the 70s with Rinus Michel, this can only happen once the competitive side of the game from a political standpoint is gone and the game becomes about the players improving, testing their limits and this is best done with internal competition rather than a focus of "my club is better than yours".

Archived