Fantastic article from NY times on Ajax youth academy

Soccerpro

Points that caught my eye is that unlike here, the better an athelete, the more money a parent shells out isn't the European model. Money is there but its from Ajax and isn't view as corrupting.

Only play 1 match/week and train 3-5 times/week - "they play with their friends. Sometimes that's more important. They have the ball at their feet without anyone telling them what to do."

Notice to all involved with kids & clubs, Ajax prefers to "rather polish one or two jewels than win games at the youth levels...as he (American kid) gets older, the game count just keeps increasing. It's counterproductive to learning and the No. 1 worst thing we (US) do..they (American) tend to be fast and passionate but underskilled and lacking in savvy compared with players elsewhere."

If Canada wants to be world class and certainly leap ahead of the US, NCAA route isn't the way to go - "...He (top NCAA player) may not realize it at the time, but the game, in essence, is too easy for him...you'll find no one in the soccer world who says they would have enhanced their career by staying in school...The NCAA system is the fault line."

And the coaches out their who tend to emphasize players with physical skills, this description about a 5 yr old playing against 9 yr olds is apt: "You see, they will try to physically dominate him, but he will always seek a football solution. He always has a plan. He is not looking at the planes in the sky; he is looking at the ball."

I think it's a must reading for anyone involved with kids playing soccer in anyone age group. Instead of focusing on their building their little kingdoms that only a insular group cares about, do something good for the individual kid and your country instead.

Richard had that up on the BC Soccerweb. Really shows the importance of the continued growth of club soccer here and their academies/youth teams. I hear you on the coaching front here in Canada, but it's pay your way right now in the communities and unless the pro clubs start picking up the development it's really impossible to implement a 1or2 player per year model like they have. At the younger levels, we coaches have to encourage those with savvy on the field, not just the physically dominant, which is possible.

I get the feeling when I read about Ajax, Barcelona, Bayern or any of the great professional academies that I probably won't live long enough to see anything remotely resembling that model in North America. One of the reasons Canada has remained the dominant force overall in hockey is because our entire country acts as a giant academy and is just as ruthless as any of the professional soccer academies. I think the American College model could work better in the US (for men - it seems to do pretty well for women) if they had a proper season, of course weather would be an issue for many teams though. Their Basketball program lasts about 7 months and the players play in summer leagues when schools out. In North American football, you need a longer offseason simple to recover and build your body for the next season's pounding - but they still train. College baseball is largely a non-factor, if players want to be a pro - they play year round. It still comes down to professional teams doing the work but they can't do it all themselves. As Ed stated, top tier club soccer and youth academies have to be nurtured here to support the professional structure or we we'll continue to go nowhere fast. Soccer Academy Alliance Canada is a start. What happened with Canada Club Soccer? I can imagine in Alberta, if the ASA reverts to the people that have been running it into the ground the last 8 years, then organizations like those would be banned here similar to what they did with Super Y. The one year it was allowed, it showed great promise so naturally ASA banned it. Recreational organizations are one of the biggest stumbling blocks to the advancement of soccer in this country.

Another good academy article - this time MLS:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5219888/ce/us/future-us-soccer?cc=5901&ver=us

2 questions.

1. Is Toronto FC academy free for players? or is it pay for play?

2. Have TFC ever looked at starting academy teams at earlier ages than u16 and u18? ie during the key developmental period.

TFC Academy is paid for by the club, as are all MLS academies.

The drawings for the TFC training ground showed a dressing room for U14's, but other than that there has been no indication from the club about adding more youth squads.

stages.jpg

According to the above graphic from TFC's website, it would appear that a full-fledged academy team for younger than U16 is at least under consideration if not being actively planned. From what I can gather, it appears that every part of that diagram is currently in place, except for the "TFC Academy Youth Team". I'm also assuming that the "Centre of Excellence Program" is the same as the recently announced Club Academy Program.

TFC Academy is paid for by the club, as are all MLS academies.

The drawings for the TFC training ground showed a dressing room for U14's, but other than that there has been no indication from the club about adding more youth squads.

All MLS academies are not paid for by the club. DC united charges a flat fee of $1,000, and a few other clubs charge the players for travelling expenses. It's stated in the 2nd article I posted.

I get the feeling when I read about Ajax, Barcelona, Bayern or any of the great professional academies that I probably won't live long enough to see anything remotely resembling that model in North America.

Are you like in your 70s or something? Who knows what youth development will look like in 10 years time. Something like Ajax could be implemented over here in the next five years in all honesty.

One of the reasons Canada remains a dominant force in Hockey is nobody else plays it. I am not sure it's a model for anything.

How pretentious. I can name 10 other countries off the top of my head who play hockey.

One of the reasons Canada remains a dominant force in Hockey is nobody else plays it. I am not sure it's a model for anything.

Russia and the USA both play and with 10 times the population to draw from. We are still the team to beat most times. I don't think you are serious with your comment. There are more kids playing hockey in Russia than there are people in Ontario.

The point could've been made better but perspective is cerainly needed when it comes to hockey. The worldwide participation numbers are tiny and that will never change as long it's so prohibitive with respect to cost, climate, infrastructure etc. The fact is it's easier to win at a sport the vast majority of the world's population doesn't even have the opportunity to participate in. Being the best in hockey is like winning a marathon where 90% of the participants have no legs. We wouldn't be so good if the rest of world was able bodied. We might be more like England in soccer with a huge passion for the game, massive entitlement but very little in the trophy case.

I get the feeling when I read about Ajax, Barcelona, Bayern or any of the great professional academies that I probably won't live long enough to see anything remotely resembling that model in North America.

Personally I am not so sure I want to see something like that here. The whole article gives me the creeps, it feels so "life-less", no emotion, a really depressing setting...

The guy from Fulham said it well, the resemblance with the slave trade is striking and disturbing. That is to me the perfect example of football-business, no passion, no emotion, just money, money, money. If that is what it takes to be a top performer on the world stage, then I prefer to lurk in the 50's or 60's rankings. I'd rather have the boys enjoy themselves, and when they are old enough to make decisions, let them decide if they want to train in a setup like this one. OF course it is all at the discretion of the parents to decide to send their kids to places like these, but I would definitely not send mine there...

Russia and the USA both play and with 10 times the population to draw from. We are still the team to beat most times. I don't think you are serious with your comment. There are more kids playing hockey in Russia than there are people in Ontario.

I am totally serious.

Last time I read we had 3300 hockey rinks in this country for 30 million people. The US had something like 1500 for 300 million. Russia? 150.

That is how fast it drops off.

There are only 85 000 hockey players in Russia, not 9 million.

75% of all the rinks in the world are in Canada.

I think there were some countries competing in the Olympics that have less total rinks in their whole country than we have in some suburban rink complexes.

Nobody else plays the game.

Are you like in your 70s or something? Who knows what youth development will look like in 10 years time. Something like Ajax could be implemented over here in the next five years in all honesty.

I'm not in my 70's Macksam. Are you in your 20's? You have to use the past in some degree to predict the future. IMHO we have not significantly advanced in the last 10 years (key word -significantly). There is a flicker of hope but we're talking baby steps. Unfortunately for us, the rest of the world is not exactly standing still either - We have to speed up just to keep pace. I doubt very much that we'll ever have the exact same structure that other countries have, we're a different culture and we have different values. Hopefully the professional side of the sport will ultimately become financially successful enough to fully take on the task of player development. What they will need though is some kind of better organized top level national youth structure to complement their programs. We have a ways to go to get to that stage obviously. I think the reference to hockey is relevant, we have essentially a giant academy from one end of the country to the other basically hinging on the belief that it's possible to make the NHL and sign a multi-million dollar contract. No matter how tiny that chance is, that belief is just as strong here for hockey as it is for soccer in a large part of the rest of the world. However realism in Canada for soccer usually sets in for most youth players and their parents at a relatively early age. That will take a little longer than 10 years to fix I'm afraid.

I am totally serious.

Nobody else plays the game.

No, I and others have clearly pointed out that other countries play the game. I think you need to go back to the drawing board on that statement.

I'm not in my 70's Macksam. Are you in your 20's? You have to use the past in some degree to predict the future. IMHO we have not significantly advanced in the last 10 years (key word -significantly). There is a flicker of hope but we're talking baby steps. Unfortunately for us, the rest of the world is not exactly standing still either - We have to speed up just to keep pace. I doubt very much that we'll ever have the exact same structure that other countries have, we're a different culture and we have different values. Hopefully the professional side of the sport will ultimately become financially successful enough to fully take on the task of player development. What they will need though is some kind of better organized top level national youth structure to complement their programs. We have a ways to go to get to that stage obviously. I think the reference to hockey is relevant, we have essentially a giant academy from one end of the country to the other basically hinging on the belief that it's possible to make the NHL and sign a multi-million dollar contract. No matter how tiny that chance is, that belief is just as strong here for hockey as it is for soccer in a large part of the rest of the world. However realism in Canada for soccer usually sets in for most youth players and their parents at a relatively early age. That will take a little longer than 10 years to fix I'm afraid.

Yeah, all valid points. However, when the netherlands changed their fortune, it just started with one club. One of our club teams can certainly take youth development into their own hands for the future like Ajax did, paving the way for the other clubs to follow.

Are you sure about that? The only numbers i could find suggest otherwise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hockey#Number_of_registered_players_by_country

The thing about registration numbers for European Hockey is that player development is done similarly to Football. There are few house leagues and club youth teams are typically the only way to play at a high level. Most kids who don't make it are relegated to playing shinny with friends.

Seriously, you guys are going to argue about hockey registration numbers?

On-topic please and thanks.

The Ajax model is perfect. Currently trying to pick a u11 team and its a nightmare. Got to pick the most skilled, but over the last few years I've found the most skilled are smaller or lighter and can't handle the physical aspect and end up quitting! Because other teams pick the biggest/strongest. Everything is cocked-up in this regard to player selection.

Selection needs to be based simply by the numbers. Players on "a" team must be able to achieve a "minimum" skill-set through assessment tests.

Copying the Ajax model might not work as well here in our existing soccer culture. Alot of the creativity of the Dutch players is learned from playing pick-up soccer with their friends and trying tricks and dekes while stick-in-the-mud adults aren't around to ruin the fun. Ajax takes these kids and runs them through ball control drills over and over again like they're little machines. As one expert called it, it's rote learning, doing drills repetedly until it's drilled (pun intended) into their heads. The only reason these kids are able to think for themselves on the field is because they're playing the other 50 hours a week with their buddies.

If we were to implement that model here in Canada we'd end up with a bunch of bored little brats who want to quit so they can play X-Box with their buddies. That's why so many of the drills taught at CSA coaching courses are "game like", to keep the kids interested and entertained.

Copying the Ajax model might not work as well here in our existing soccer culture. Alot of the creativity of the Dutch players is learned from playing pick-up soccer with their friends and trying tricks and dekes while stick-in-the-mud adults aren't around to ruin the fun. Ajax takes these kids and runs them through ball control drills over and over again like they're little machines. As one expert called it, it's rote learning, doing drills repetedly until it's drilled (pun intended) into their heads. The only reason these kids are able to think for themselves on the field is because they're playing the other 50 hours a week with their buddies.

If we were to implement that model here in Canada we'd end up with a bunch of bored little brats who want to quit so they can play X-Box with their buddies. That's why so many of the drills taught at CSA coaching courses are "game like", to keep the kids interested and entertained.

Changing attitudes towards soccer is a series of small victories. There isn't a magic wand solution for Canada but one positive note is we have a lot more people now who are passionate about the game and more skilled coaches than we've ever had. There's a generation now, some of whom are in their early twenties, who grew up playing soccer as their main sport and will automatically be playing soccer with their kids, etc., etc. and we will see the emergence of a true soccer culture here alongside our traditional sports. It's just going to take longer than some of us (including me) would like.

It would impossible for the CSA to implement. However, clubs like Toronto and Vancouver could definately implement it.

I agree with this in a sense, but at the same time i've always found the coaching in this country (in the past at least, and at the lower levels today) extremely naive. If not for the shin-guards and socks someone walking by might have said "is this track practice?". The training is often neither fun, or helpful.

You guys are both on the money though. We definitely need a soccer culture to take the next step in terms of training and more informal play to get players to be more creative.

There are lot of things that could be done to bridge the gaps. Things that are, I use the term with pain, outside the box.

Here is one example, Futsal in high schools. On the whole that doesn't sound all that inspiring, but it depends on how you impliment it.

I would have no coaches, and instead a mentoring leadership program that serves selected players(decided by the players) from each team for a whole district. You get unsupervised peer driven learning, but are also creating a generation of leaders in the game with the seeds of becoming coaches down the road. You don't just have awards for the winners, you have awards for the self leadership/management of the teams too.

You add in a school wide incentive. The provincial winners get an MTV school djed dance or something like that. Now the whole school is watching....

Anyway. That is the crazy ass crap I think about.

Been meaning to apply for a while, because the article is both interesting and irritating. I found important differences with the FC Barcelona model for example.

I don't think the only reason they develop kids at Ajax is for money, that is a natural result of having quality training. I think they are really interested in the player and his development beyond a piece of merchandise. I am not so sure that the comments about them not caring if a kid drops school are that accurate. If the image given here of the Ajax academy is correct though, I think it is rather deplorable.

For two reasons: personal development has to be always ahead of sports development for kids who have little chance of ever making it. I have friends who were at Barça when young, and never played pro, but the important thing is the experience they had, the memory of good coaches and some concern for them as individuals, like what happens with any good teacher you had in elementary school. Listening to John Wooden quotes this week reminded me of that, and I think it is the only way to go. You have to develop good human beings, committed to their teammates, able to listen and learn, willing to be helpful, committed to the group. This article makes it sound like dog eat dog and very individualistic. Maybe that is why Ajax has become a caricature of itself, and not because of money in the Dutch league.

Also because it is impossible to commit yourself to kids only on the basis of thinking about them as future sales. No one can work with kids with that committment only on the basis of that sort of abstraction. They do it because they love it, they are totally passionate about it, proof is that a lot of them are not making a lot of money scouting, if nothing at all.

Maybe it is because Barça can indeed offer the hope of first team play to its academy kids, meaning the highest level of world football, that the cynicism has not set in. Barça has never been a selling team, we in fact tend to give players away cheap just to get rid of the salary load. Sure, having an academy you can trust is a big help, because players can step up constantly knowing how to play, what the concepts are, but also because it does save money, you reserve the money for big important transfers and for those few types of players you haven't produced in the previous half decade.

Barça also has La Masia, a residence in an old stone farmhouse in the shadow of Camp Nou. It is in fact too small and there are actually apartments inside the stadium, and others nearby where older kids share apartments. They spend a huge amount of effort on education, nobody drops out of high school if they can help it, a few have actually gone on studying at university, like Iniesta. All of this is to be able to offer parents of kids from any more than 50 km out of town, too far to drive every day, a place where their kids are going to be happy and get a full education, in regular school, in football, in life. This is a huge difference as it reflects an attitude about taking care of young people and not just thinkiing of them in football terms. Everyone who has gone through speaks of the friendship bonds first, an example is Guardiola's assistant Tito Vilanova, who never succeeded as a pro but who was called to join his team because of their ties from the Masia days.

A few things about this model at Ajax are exactly the same as at Barcelona. Ball at your feet as much as possible. Very close attention in training. Relatively little training sessions and only a game a week, except when there is a tournament. Winning is of course important, because it is a sign you are doing things right, and there are indeed big kids, physically strong 11 and 12 year olds, who are brought in, but they are not the only way to go, and they have to have skills. Know what to do with the ball before you get it, thinking on the pitch at all times, maximum attention. I don't know about Holland but now in Spain you cannot even change your own kids club without getting at least a formal permission, the rules are strict about raiding talent from other teams, so any change that is made is transparent and in dialogue with the parents and former coach.

The only possible way to come close to this in Canada is through our clubs, as they have the resources. The best possible thing that could happen is for MLS to strengthen the model, which would then trickle down to lower divisions when not already there (Impact and esp Whitecaps are doing a decent job).

Archived