AC Milan vs. IMFC

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We were saying the same. This city loves their Kovalevs and their Ronaldinhos.

The one player who acknowledged the UM02 hidden away up on the 4th deck? Ronaldinho. Walked to the corner, clapped along to our chant "Impact FC", walked away.

Good show, a cashgrab where I feel like it wasn't a total waste, I like soccer in the big O, despite it's temporary location in Milan, Italy tonight.

Oh and one more thing. That looked like a 1st team for Milan that incuded Pato, Ronaldinho, Jankulovski..etc. So can we now put to rest that oft repeated notion that says: "Oh visiting Euro side... must mean that they will play their reserves"? Just because one team ( Man U) reportedly did this 4-5 years ago, doesn't make it trend.

The one player who acknowledged the UM02 hidden away up on the 4th deck? Ronaldinho. Walked to the corner, clapped along to our chant "Impact FC", walked away.

Good show, a cashgrab where I feel like it wasn't a total waste, I like soccer in the big O, despite it's temporary location in Milan, Italy tonight.

If some of that cash can go towards a striker it would be worth it..

Oh and one more thing. That looked like a 1st team for Milan that incuded Pato, Ronaldinho, Jankulovski..etc. So can we now put to rest that oft repeated notion that says: "Oh visiting Euro side... must mean that they will play their reserves"? Just because one team ( Man U) reportedly did this 4-5 years ago, doesn't make it trend.
Here's tonight's complete lineup. Like you said not that bad.

29 - Roberto Colombo (G)

77 - Luca Antonini (D)

19 - Giuseppe Favalli (D)

26 - Claudio Terzi (D)

88 - Cristian Brocchi (M)

80 - Ronaldinho Ronaldinho (F) goal.gif

<- 13 - Alessandro Nesta (D)

-> 24 - Marcus Plinio Diniz (D) (45')

<- 28 - Manuele Blasi (M) [YC]

-> 27 - Gennaro Delvecchio (M) (45')

<- 9 - Filippo Inzaghi (F) goal.gif

-> 30 - Alessandro Mancini (M) (45')

<- 10 - Clarence Seedorf (M) goal.gif

-> 18 - Marek Jankulovski (D) (63')

<- 7 - Pato Pato (F) goal.gif

-> 49 - Davide Di Gennaro (M) (72')

what a great game!!! seedorf and ronaldinho are top class. they were walking around our defence like nothing. unreal how they made it look so easy. they were not even pushing to their max, and scored 4. impact did well vs a top world class team. great crowd!!!!! montreal is at the top of sports scenes in north america. this city could definately host a player like ronaldinho in the future. MLS2012 here we come and watch out for our new signing(seedorf or ronaldinho). hahaha(i wish)

I think you make an effort FK to try and bust myths that are true! :) From friendlies I have seen this was more the exception than the rule and probably has something to do both with the contract for the match and the playing/winning culture of AC Milan. They played pretty much an A lineup other than those players missing for the World Cup. Not only that but they loaned out some players from other Serie A teams to replace the missing ones instead of playing their second string guys in their place (there were players from Lazio, Palermo, Bologna, Catania). They seemed to play with much more effort and desire to win than the other teams I have seen play the Impact in friendlies. They were not playing as hard as they would a Serie A game but they did seem to be playing fairly hard nonetheless and were not taking mercy on the Impact. Even at 4-1 they were still trying to score more goals. It was strange to see the Impact subbing in the whole squad while Milan left 5 of their starters play 90 minutes and only subbed Ronaldinho off right at the end so the crowd could applaud him separately. I have to say this is also the first team I have seen play us where you could really see a large gap in talent between them and the Impact. Obviously teams like Bordeaux and Fiorentina would have had better results against the Impact if they were playing with the same intensity as a league match but there wasn't the same gap in talent as with AC Milan. (River Plate on the other hand, broke and rapidly becoming a lower table team seemed to just genuinely suck last year).

As far as the crowd goes, I was surprised with the amount of pro-Impact support. It seemed at least 50/50 for the Impact which is a good sign for the future. The field looked terrible and it was easy to see the lines between the strips of turf as well as brown blotches where the grass had died. One wonders whether natural grass in this condition is really better than Field Turf. At least they are not wasting the turf though as they will sod the Impact's new practice field with it. They better get it out of Olympic stadium pretty quick though before more of the grass dies.

I missed that! Class.

I agree, I think if the Impact MLS sell out Saputo at 20 000 for many years I could see them eventually becoming the main tenant at the Big O, rip the roof off, plant real grass, and make the lower bowl back into an oval shape.... could be interesting. I also thought last night, too bad Canada isn't joint bidding with the US for WC 2022 because we could totally host a group.

I missed that! Class.

I agree, I think if the Impact MLS sell out Saputo at 20 000 for many years I could see them eventually becoming the main tenant at the Big O, rip the roof off, plant real grass, and make the lower bowl back into an oval shape.... could be interesting. I also thought last night, too bad Canada isn't joint bidding with the US for WC 2022 because we could totally host a group.

Man the US seriously doesn't need us to host a WC. Countries that joint bid usually because they can't afford to host it by themselves, right?

Was at the game last night, and found the crowd to be respectful towards the Impact. Lots of people wearing Impact gear, and the David Testo Goal got a large roar where I was sitting. Good Performance by UM02, who went the full 90, and could be heard even though they were in the nose bleeds. Excellent night for footy fans in Montreal.

As far as the crowd goes, I was surprised with the amount of pro-Impact support. It seemed at least 50/50 for the Impact which is a good sign for the future.

Most of the fans rooted for both teams by showing great respect for AC and supporting IMFC. I did see a few ignorant people boo the impact, boo calls the ref made in the favor of the impact and act as if the champions league title was on the line for AC Milan but hey, they paid their ticket their allowed to do what they want.

Was at the game last night, and found the crowd to be respectful towards the Impact. Lots of people wearing Impact gear, and the David Testo Goal got a large roar where I was sitting. Good Performance by UM02, who went the full 90, and could be heard even though they were in the nose bleeds. Excellent night for footy fans in Montreal.

he is prepping the UM02 for a return one day down the road except he wont be wearing red/black instead he will be wearing blue/black. in other words, my wishful thinking interprets that not only as a thank you but also a see you later! lol

Very intense speculation on my part but how many years does Ronaldinho have left on his contract at AC Milan?

do you really wanna know???? lol --- in 2008, he signed a 3year contract with AC Milan! so he will be available for us in time for 2012 ;)

Yeah but they owe us favors from WWII. :P

A lot of folks across the pond owe us favours from WWII but I don't see how you can put the USA in that category.

A lot of folks across the pond owe us favours from WWII but I don't see how you can put the USA in that category.

I was being sarcastic. I could have randomly chosen any past event or conflict seeing as in fact they don't actually owe us any favours. *resists the urge to expound endlessly on the ways in which my flimsy sarcasm did and didn't work in this particular instance* *grows as a person*

I think you make an effort FK to try and bust myths that are true! :) From friendlies I have seen this was more the exception than the rule and probably has something to do both with the contract for the match and the playing/winning culture of AC Milan. They played pretty much an A lineup other than those players missing for the World Cup. Not only that but they loaned out some players from other Serie A teams to replace the missing ones instead of playing their second string guys in their place (there were players from Lazio, Palermo, Bologna, Catania). They seemed to play with much more effort and desire to win than the other teams I have seen play the Impact in friendlies. They were not playing as hard as they would a Serie A game but they did seem to be playing fairly hard nonetheless and were not taking mercy on the Impact. Even at 4-1 they were still trying to score more goals. It was strange to see the Impact subbing in the whole squad while Milan left 5 of their starters play 90 minutes and only subbed Ronaldinho off right at the end so the crowd could applaud him separately. I have to say this is also the first team I have seen play us where you could really see a large gap in talent between them and the Impact. Obviously teams like Bordeaux and Fiorentina would have had better results against the Impact if they were playing with the same intensity as a league match but there wasn't the same gap in talent as with AC Milan. (River Plate on the other hand, broke and rapidly becoming a lower table team seemed to just genuinely suck last year).

As far as the crowd goes, I was surprised with the amount of pro-Impact support. It seemed at least 50/50 for the Impact which is a good sign for the future. The field looked terrible and it was easy to see the lines between the strips of turf as well as brown blotches where the grass had died. One wonders whether natural grass in this condition is really better than Field Turf. At least they are not wasting the turf though as they will sod the Impact's new practice field with it. They better get it out of Olympic stadium pretty quick though before more of the grass dies.

In games of this nature that I have witnessed or followed, I did not see anything suggesting that the visiting team didn't make an effort to show case their talent. That includes Aston Villa, Benfica, West Ham, Real Madrid. I didn't attend the RM game in person ( no way am I paying $100 for my SS seat nor $190 for the closest upgrade) and admittedly I dont know much about the squad for River Plate and Independiente. Asides from the odd exception like Freddy Ljundberg, who was injured, most of the players that I was expecting to see were there and played some minutes. RM and their stars did not take a day off, They came to play though I am not as sure about they others. If they are going to take good money , Better showcase what you have. You cant rip off a packed house of customers.

Ultimately that's what it looks like it all come down to; $$$$. show good support and make $$$ for them, and they'll give you their best.

Archived