CMNT Head Coach Approval Rating - June 2010

rdroze

I think canada needs a real coach , not someone who does not have any experience coaching big teams , or any club or countries outside canada. This is a joke ...

I guess it is ok if maradona trains argentina because he has amazing players and he was considered by many the best soccer player in the history of the sport , hell I even think it is ok for any soccer star (dunga, maradona , passarella , etc) to be a coach since they have train with the best and they know what is like to play for a world class team but it is not like canada has a deep pool of players to make up for the lack of experience of our coach.

The only good thing he is done so far is being a semifinalist in a weak gold cup , where canada still lost against guadeloupe...

I think canada needs a strong coach , someone that can teach our players to pass the ball and plauy some possesion . If anything canada needs someone like pekerman that not only has many trophies and experienced but someone that brings a strong team of coaches to developed our youth system.

and I dont have anythign against hart but honestly he was never a wold class player or a world class coach. Not having played against the best , train with the best or coach the best , it is hard to ask him to make canada a stronger side ...

I think canada needs a real coach , not someone who does not have any experience coaching big teams , or any club or countries outside canada. This is a joke ...

I guess it is ok if maradona trains argentina because he has amazing players and he was considered by many the best soccer player in the history of the sport , hell I even think it is ok for any soccer star (dunga, maradona , passarella , etc) to be a coach since they have train with the best and they know what is like to play for a world class team but it is not like canada has a deep pool of players to make up for the lack of experience of our coach.

The only good thing he is done so far is being a semifinalist in a weak gold cup , where canada still lost against guadeloupe...

I think canada needs a strong coach , someone that can teach our players to pass the ball and plauy some possesion . If anything canada needs someone like pekerman that not only has many trophies and experienced but someone that brings a strong team of coaches to developed our youth system.

and I dont have anythign against hart but honestly he was never a wold class player or a world class coach. Not having played against the best , train with the best or coach the best , it is hard to ask him to make canada a stronger side ...

Still he gave around 5 young players their first national team cap, found Pacheco (and capped), ended the goal drought... All of that since December. I say it's not that bad.

Still he gave around 5 young players their first national team cap, found Pacheco (and capped), ended the goal drought... All of that since December. I say it's not that bad.

yea but are we going to approve a coach just because he pleases the fans and calls young players??? ... I mean its not a secret the players hart called up we already mentioned in this board long ago... I could be the coach , open up the board , and then call up the players fans are asking for ..

Im tryng to see why hart gets the position of national coach. This is his resume

As player

mostly ametuer level clubs

as a coach

never coach a profesional club

coach youth level but never won anything

The only thing he did was be a semifinalist in a very weak gold cup . Where the only tough opponent canada beat was costa rica , years back we also beat a stronger side in colombia ...

I dont know what the budget for our national coach is but we could ve at least got someone with a better resume , maybe someone that worked outside canada and knows what is like to play at the top level... How can we ask hart to bring us to the top level if he has never played or coach a world class team ... I mean at least bring someone that had success with a young side ( sulantay - chile , and i m sure there are many more)

I wouldnt have a big problem if it was someone like rad , de guzman or even at some levels de rosario , because they have played and train at a high level and they know what it takes to get there ( a bit too much compliment for dero sorry)....

Honestly we have a weak team , a bad association , and now an aprentice as a coach.. This recipe only adds up for disaster..

I hope i m wrong since i really want canada to do well , but math doesnt add up here , its like we have everything against us to start with

I voted approve because so far I like his selections and we seem to be making some progress under him. On the other hand, Rick has a point in saying that he is woefully underqualified for this position. That doesn't necessarily mean he is a bad coach but it does mean the CSA needs to be particularly vigilant in determining whether he is the guy to lead us to the next WCQ and we need to do our best to ensure that they are. We really need to stop hiring underqualified, inexperienced, cheap coaches for this position if we want to qualify for the World Cup. It is a recipe for disaster even if every now and then you may stumble on the odd guy who is actually a good coach despite a lack of qualifications. I think the jury is out on whether Hart is the exception and capable of bringing us success in WCQ.

Since taking over from Mitchell his record with the team is 4 wins 5 losses and 2 ties. If you remove the Argentina result which was a lost cause anyway it is 4-4-2 or .500 record. He started his tenure with a string of 4 victories and 1 draw before 5 straight defeats including an embarrasing 3-0 loss to Macedonia. Right now it is a mediocre record but tempered by using some young players and experimental lineups. I am fine for him to continue experimenting for a year or so but as we get nearer to WCQ the results need to show a steady rise and the playing level needs to show signs of improvement. If that doesn't occur the CSA really needs to hire a more experienced and successful coach with enough time before WCQ to adequately prepare the team. Nevertheless I will support Hart as long as I feel he is moving the program forward and able to bring us to the next level.

Still kinda a fun exercise.

I voted approve but I would say somewhat approve would be a better description of my views on Hart's performance at this point.

Even if you look at all of our managers of late, and really take their individual situations into context when you try to rate them, I still think he's done okay in comparison. But I also think I'll be taking a more critical view of his performances from here forward. Sounds funny with the World Cup having not even kicked off yet but it's time to start showing he can teach his team to win. Whether that team is youth orientated, seasoned vets, or more likely a blend of both, they need to show they've got a plan and that plan can deliver.

It is hard to say what to give Hart because winning these games hasn't been his goal he has just been trying to find and get new young players into the CMNT set up and experimenting. However, he deserves some of the blame for a five game goalless streak. I will approve for now,

Also, this should be a poll created every June and December

Straith, Sidra and Pacheco in the fold, they look to be important parts of 2014 qualifying.

Dislikes

Using the lone striker, our strikers have proven time and time again they are useless in this formation. I think Friend and Jackson/Hume or even De Rosario would prove to be a better option.

I wonder if rating the manager, on a scale of 0-10, would be better next time around?

I chose to do just straight approve/disapprove, since it's easier to get a fix on the general mood with just one number instead of trying to combine lots of numbers. I agree there are better ways to get a more accurate picture of the subtleties around the public opinion on this topic, but well, I'm lazy and have too much other stuff to think about.

Anyway, it's also a pretty common polling question used to assess opinion of political leaders. I find it interesting to see how public opinion evolves over time (especially something like this graph).

So far I approve of Hart, mostly because he has expanded the player pool and the players seem to want to play for him! Tactically he as been ok, although I'm not thrilled with a lone isolated striker most games! He has to be given more time but as we approachWCQ he must show some results! Getting a couple of our fence sitters into the fold would also help his cause!

My disapproval is mainly because I'm not convinced he will qualify us for 2014. That's his job and can't support him fully unless I believe he's going to bring us this result. Having said this, he's done a good job in many areas, though it's sometimes hard to tell what is him and what is the association getting better.

I've appreciated his reasonably frank discussion of players (no shows in particular); I'm not sure he's tactically astute enough to grind out a tough result, but in the long run his nice guy, keep the ball on the ground and have fun attitude may be really good for our program. I'm no Peter Loubardias, but Hart definitely has had a good influence on our play, especially given that he can get the B-side to play a more possession oriented game.

The problem I have with his resume is not that it makes him a bad coach, but rather it makes me suspicious as to how much he will push the association to get what he wants. To me a good coach would come to Canada and make it clear that we will play every FIFA date and we will actively pursue every player eligible for Canada. That is, in our backwards program the manager really has to be a strong leader that everyone respects. I also think he's been a bit too quiet on Jono and Daniel Fernandes. I don't blame him, I just think a higher profile manager would be more vocal in the media to bring these guys back and het Hoilett on side. Probably not a fair criticism, but it's how I felt when voting.

Just because the coach doesn't have the greatest resume doesn't mean he is bad. Look at what the players say about him. Especially look at what the younger players say about him because they weren't part of the previous mess during WCQ. They think very highly of him. Example is Will Johnson's comment "he's a fantastic soccer brain" and other comments.

http://www.youtube.com/user/thevoyageurs#p/c/24770B96374848CB/11/uXtGPH25Wa4

He has done what is needed at this point. Get lots of looks at lots of players. Start the wheels in motion for 2014. That will be the true test. Hex or bust then (of course I hope we make it but first step is to make the final group every time). Over the next 2 years the focus shifts to getting results and a solid 22 player lineup. I'm more than willing to be patient at this point. Goals are always hard to come by so he will need to address that one.

I approve of his performance so far. Of course, i'm including his results as interim manager into this as well...going forward, he needs to get this team playing well and getting results so that we're building up towards qualifying. If he does not do that and the team stalls in their progress then i am all for cutting him and replacing him with a taskmaster before the start of qualifying. I could care less if Hart's a nice guy and the players like him. If he can get results he's our man, if not he's out. Simple as that.

I think that, in the future, "approve", "somewhat approve", "neither approve nor disapprove", "somewhat disapprove", and "disapprove" will allow us to get down some grey areas while still making an overall approval rating pretty clear.

Just because someone has a worldly resume doesn't guarantee the desired results. I'm sure Mexico felt that way about Sven, China about Bora, and Jamaica about Rene Simoes - the same guy the CSA wanted at one point, and found that his conditions were too expensive. Even Holger Osieck, despite his global experience, cannot raise our play beyond World Cup Qualifying.

While I had hoped that the CSA would have tried to get 'THE' experienced coach, most of those suggested are simply too expensive, or simply wouldn't want to coach Canada. Hart is doing what is expected of him, in preparing the future WC squad and scouting for depth. Until he screws up somewhat, he's our guy.

Imagine having paid Simoes his $1-million, hired his 3 assistants at a premium, and still missing the Hex ...

Which three of you disapprove?? What the hell has he been doing wrong??

I'm one of the other six because we need to play with 2 strikers, a lone striker doesn't work with Canada. Another thing is, Hart should teach his defense to not make so many mistakes, I know there was Hastings and Hainault in the last 2 friendlies so for now we can excuse Hart, but defense must be flawless when the WCQ begins.

Also, many peoples are being excited with the 1 - 1 result against Venezuela. It's great, but let's not forget the other recent results, Canada has not won a game since Gold Cup (1 - 0 against El Salvador, July 7, 2009) and I must say I was very disappointed for others frienlies, (0 - 3 loss against Macedonia).

Seriously though. I aprove, but the armchairm manager in me would like to see us play a 4-4-2.

Really hard to give a full evaluation as we really haven't seen Hart with a full squad for awhile. Although it's nice to see these young players, it's tough to evaluate. At the end of the day what's going to matter is results.

I like how Hart is giving newbies a look, evaluating them in training and deciding whether they warrant significant minutes during match time. For the fall home series, I would like to seem him go with the guys he sees as his best available A-listers. I think these guys have to "make a statement" in showing that they are worthy of their places and not just be granted their spots based on reputation. A few guys need to be pushed, especially in midfield IMO, but frankly every spot needs to have competition. Glad to hear about Pacheco's play and maybe Hart will bring him in for September: nothing like having someone breathing down your neck for your job to get some motivation and bring the best out of you.

Its way too early to pass judgment on Hart. I answered "approve" because there was no better option. The ultimate judgment will be whether or not he qualifies us for the World cup.

He's giving players a look and that's a good thing but what else should he be doing 2-3 years before WCQ?

Approve of Hart. I like that he's chosen a system and formation and stuck with it. We're beginning to slowly see the emergence of a "Canadian style", and will obviously stumble whenever we slot new players into this system with only a couple days in camp to prepare them. I'm not a fan of the lone striker in general but it's yielded good results in two Gold Cups so I'm prepared to be patient while he figures out who the next Ali Gerba is and gets our midfield on the same page. Agree with others that Straith, Sidra and Pacheco all look like good finds. Now if Hart announces the retirement of Stalteri and Hastings, and starts building a new back line now I'll be quite happy with him.

Archived