What's your hope for Canadian player development in 5 years?

Soccerpro

We need system that provides an excellent playing/learning environment for as wide a group as possible for the youngest players. So I would like to see a real investment (time, energy, money) into the Canadian coaching education system with an emphasis on producing 50 UEFA A License caliber coaches in 5 years (preferable this would include each coach spending a season at an overseas professional Academy to learn the trade).

In the meantime, the CSA develops a program, similar to the Charter Standard Club program in the UK, whereby clubs attain "Charter Standard" status by meeting certain standards - like having an A License Club Head Coach (or TD) and having National B License coaches in charge at each age group. There would also be standards for playing/training facilities, child protection etc. The benefit to the club for attaining this status would be voting rights at the CSA level and participation in special Charter Standard (or whatever you would call it in Canada) tournaments or leagues. Clubs (and soccer schools if they wish) would be recognized as part of the player pathway for the National Teams and the professional clubs. The CSA could also develop standards for clubs only interested in recreational soccer. This would be mandatory for any group wanting to form an affiliated soccer club in Canada.

I agree that the addition of more professional/semi-professional clubs is essential to serve as a destination for talented players. However, putting our trust in three MLS clubs to develop our best young players from U8s to U19s is even worse than the 10 or so provincial all-star teams that are supposed to be the ultimate destination for talent now. In 5 years I hope the necessity for this provincial team system completely disappears and is replaced by several regional clubs fielding Academy teams under the instruction of properly trained A License coaches. I realize there are many examples of this happening in Canada right now, I would just like to see it instituted as the policy for the country.

NCAA players are typically four years older than youth academy players. There needs to be something similar to the NCAA/PDL in the intervening four years but at a fully pro level unlike the present day CSL. With upwards of 15 non-Canadian players and a several CMNT players on an MLS roster only the most exceptional Canadian players are going to be seeing first team action at 19 or 20 years old.

The whole youth development strategy by TFC is relatively young so we can't really say what will work yet. However, I do agree that a reserve side needs to be put in place for this very reason.

That point has been refuted 2 or 3 times on this board. While the big 2-3 clubs in most leagues do often provide a large portion of the domestically based players on most national teams, that is usually achieved by their economic dominance and buying players developed at other clubs. The larger clubs are generally - there are exceptions for periods of time Ajax for example, often developed as many as half of the players they contributed to Dutch national teams - not a whole lot better at developing players than the smaller clubs and success in player development is more about larger numbers at an acceptable level as opposed to fewer numbers at better level. Therefore, the next five years should be spent by 1 - focussing on a national vertically integrated strategy to improve skill development; 2) intensive development of coachs based on (1), including greater support and resources available to community level coachs 3) expanded practice & play time. (4) The construction of more indoor facilities for the winter months and more field turf (or equivalent) outdoor playing surfaces to support (3).

Did you not read the second part of that post?

• 1 year later...

One year on and there's a bit of progress. The good news is it looks like Ottawa will now become a reality for the NASL and Edmonton is fielding a whole whack of Canadians. Also, academy graduates at TFC are getting their opportunities. Our u17's looked great in CONCACAF qualifying. On the downside we still have to fundamentally change the way things are done in this country.

We need system that provides an excellent playing/learning environment for as wide a group as possible for the youngest players. So I would like to see a real investment (time, energy, money) into the Canadian coaching education system with an emphasis on producing 50 UEFA A License caliber coaches in 5 years (preferable this would include each coach spending a season at an overseas professional Academy to learn the trade).

In the meantime, the CSA develops a program, similar to the Charter Standard Club program in the UK, whereby clubs attain "Charter Standard" status by meeting certain standards - like having an A License Club Head Coach (or TD) and having National B License coaches in charge at each age group. There would also be standards for playing/training facilities, child protection etc. The benefit to the club for attaining this status would be voting rights at the CSA level and participation in special Charter Standard (or whatever you would call it in Canada) tournaments or leagues. Clubs (and soccer schools if they wish) would be recognized as part of the player pathway for the National Teams and the professional clubs. The CSA could also develop standards for clubs only interested in recreational soccer. This would be mandatory for any group wanting to form an affiliated soccer club in Canada.

I agree that the addition of more professional/semi-professional clubs is essential to serve as a destination for talented players. However, putting our trust in three MLS clubs to develop our best young players from U8s to U19s is even worse than the 10 or so provincial all-star teams that are supposed to be the ultimate destination for talent now. In 5 years I hope the necessity for this provincial team system completely disappears and is replaced by several regional clubs fielding Academy teams under the instruction of properly trained A License coaches. I realize there are many examples of this happening in Canada right now, I would just like to see it instituted as the policy for the country.

Very well put Marty. In talking with a former Canadian national team assistant and coach, he indicated that all national teams, specially young ones, need many more preparation games before going into cup or qualifications competitions. And that these games need to be with teams of high level not down the bottom. At present that does not happen. Size of the country or travel cost is a good excuse but one that does not develop players.

In talking with a former Canadian national team assistant and coach, he indicated that all national teams, specially young ones, need many more preparation games before going into cup or qualifications competitions. And that these games need to be with teams of high level not down the bottom. At present that does not happen. Size of the country or travel cost is a good excuse but one that does not develop players.

In Sweden, the youngest kids (5-6yrs) they play 5 aside and don't keep score. The next age group plays 7-aside and don't keep score. There is no league, only tournament weekends. Only when kids are 8-9 yrs, do they begin to keep score, but it is first at age 10/11 that a full-size field is incorporated. This methodology builds ball-skills and teamwork from a very early age.

I have memories of being 5yrs old and playing 11-aside rugby like soccer. Our goalie made beautiful sandcastles in the goalmouth while waiting for action.

Sweden can offer a lot of similarities to Canada. Both have vast distances from one end to the other and both have northern climates that lead to pro leagues that operate during the summer months. Most of Sweden's pro players are in Continental Europe and therefore play Aug-May seasons. In order to accomodate the "next generation" of national players (often those playing domestically), the national team has a so-called "B-team" winter tour. They take the next batch of the talent pool and tour as the national team in a warmer climate. Recent trips were to Central America, South Africa, & UAE.

The CSA might be smart to think of such a strategy for MLS and on-the-cusp NASL players this winter. Continue to have MNT friendlies in Europe, but grow the depth in all positions.

Finally, we should also look at why Australia has been successful. They were previously in a very weak federation (Oceania), yet still managed to build a strong domestic league and even once they switched to the Asian federation, qualified and did well at the World Cup. Cathal Kelly of the Toronto Star wrote a article to this effect back in 2007 (if I recall correctly).

That's my two cents and to quote B.Knight "Onward"!

My point above was to say that for Canada to be developing talent internationally and domestically we should have two-fold approach:

1) start players young by developing technical skills (I think Holger Osiek was onto this point when he was Tech.Director)

2) grow the depth chart at the National Team level

Everything inbetween (domestic leagues etc.) has been well summarized by other posters.

In Sweden, the youngest kids (5-6yrs) they play 5 aside and don't keep score. The next age group plays 7-aside and don't keep score. There is no league, only tournament weekends. Only when kids are 8-9 yrs, do they begin to keep score, but it is first at age 10/11 that a full-size field is incorporated. This methodology builds ball-skills and teamwork from a very early age.

I have memories of being 5yrs old and playing 11-aside rugby like soccer.

My daughter (9) plays 7 a side, full (junior) field, but my son (7) is still 4 a side half field. We don't do 11 a side until we get to 11-12 y.o. rep level anymore (thankfully). In Manitoba they've done away with tables as well, and I'm sure that's part of the Ontario Long Term Player Development model (I haven't looked into the rep rules, as my daughter isn't headed there). The tournaments are the focus here now, too.

I too remember doing 11 a side as a kid. I lasted two years.

• 5 months later...

18 months after my initial post - Time to list the progress being made in Canada:

TFC and VWFC are investing heavily into academies. Hopefully IMFC follow suit.

FC Edmonton is raising the bar for Canadian pro soccer opportunities.

The CSA is slowly being revamped.

The LTPD is being implemented across Canada. There is a new emphasis on coaching in this country.

Progress is slow, but Rome wasn't built in a day. And the CSA didn't just become awful overnight. Here's hoping for more progress in the next 18 months.

Archived