Ottawa kids soccer league stops blowout wins

It is a problem but I don't know if that is really the solution. Recent seeding round had one team in our group beaten 22-0, 17-1, etc. They only show a 5 goal differential in the posted score (e.g., 5-0, 6-1), but the team gets clobbered in front of friends and family. Our game was rained out against them so I didn't have the dilemma. I have forced my teams into play scenarios like Sigma desribed when faced with a blow-out win in past seasons. Any other advice??

I agree. It just as insulting to not play your best against the opposition, no matter how weak they are. Why penalize the stronger players who are trying to improve their skill base just as much as the weaker players. If the league directors are so concerned about blow outs then readjust the players so that each team will the same number of strong players.

What a stupid rule and it surely will not foster fair-play or the skill levels necessary in the development of these young players.

Here, they stop the game when there is a 6 goal differential (or you can continue just for fun if both teams agree, but cards still count). That seems to me like a better idea to prevent the stronger team from humiliating the weaker.

Here, they stop the game when there is a 6 goal differential (or you can continue just for fun if both teams agree, but cards still count). That seems to me like a better idea to prevent the stronger team from humiliating the weaker.

That is a great idea. Play the rest of the game but don't count it. You guys are way ahead of us on this one. As a coach I would even modify the process slightly to make sure my team gets a good workout. If they are up 6 and the game is called I'd play one man short and if we still run up the score play 2 short. Your players still play as hard as they can you just give your opponent a handicap. Sort of like chess when you take your knight or rook off the board to start a game (you Quebec folks also play some kick ass chess by the way). You still play full out to win but it is harder and you have to play smarter and harder.

Like Ed said in Calgary they have the "mercy rule" so you only win by 5 goals max but the shelacking some teams get because their coach places them in way over their heads is really bad. Not much mercy or benefit to either team in those situations.

Ed, pull players off the field until it levels out. I read something by a youth coach the other day saying beating teams 22-0 in tournament group play was necessary. It's not. The real win for coaching kids is teaching them the right way to come out of a group is beating every team and not flinching on class and humanity if the situation calls for it. If you can get that through to them you will positively affect a lot of lives. There is always a bigger picture when coaching kids, unfortunately that's lost on 99% of the people who do it.

Why not just put the stronger teams in a separate division?

These results often occur early in the season, in preliminary seeding round, Richard, where they are trying to determine team caliber. After the seeding round, you don't typically see such results.

Ed, pull players off the field until it levels out. I read something by a youth coach the other day saying beating teams 22-0 in tournament group play was necessary. It's not. The real win for coaching kids is teaching them the right way to come out of a group is beating every team and not flinching on class and humanity if the situation calls for it. If you can get that through to them you will positively affect a lot of lives. There is always a bigger picture when coaching kids, unfortunately that's lost on 99% of the people who do it.

I would not allow my teams to put up a score like that. I don't see any benefit at all.

These results often occur early in the season, in preliminary seeding round, Richard, where they are trying to determine team caliber. After the seeding round, you don't typically see such results.
Then I don't really see what the problem is, let the kids play. Most kids are smarter than grownups give them credit for, they understand what's going on especially if it is explained ahead of time. To stop counting goals once the score is say 5-0 sounds like a good sop for the kids or parents it might bother. In the real world this stuff happens.

The league president in the article mentions that teams should play players out of position once they get a 4 or 5 goal lead. We tried this once when we were playing a weak team and were up by 5 or 6 goals, so we put our forwards on defence and played our defence as strikers. The problem was that all of our defencemen wanted to score because they rarely ever had a chance to do so, so our team kept scoring.

There really is no solution that doesn't some what increase the embarrassment of the losing team. Everyone can tell when a team takes their foot off the gas pedal.

Does this have something to do with soccer being treated as an everyone gets to play regardless of ability/daycare/not very serious sport in Canada? I didn't grow up playing hockey so I'm wondering for those of you who did, would we see this sort of discussion in hockey? Were teams allowed to blow opponents out if possible or was that frowned upon or stopped in some way?

Feh, take your 25-nil losses on the chin it's part of life. When I was a kid and we got blown out the coach just told us to not give up and to keep playing. No matter how bad you're getting beat you keep pushing yourself. If you got beat by a ridiculous score, hell yes the other teams would make fun of you and you would get angry. Next time you played you made sure to play better. Next season you were determined to get on a better team so you wouldn't have to repeat that humiliation.

Some of us were too mentally weak to accept that and quit, the rest of us went on to be better players. Penalizing the victor for being "too good"?! This smacks of Canadian pussyism and won't improve the game one bit.

Does this have something to do with soccer being treated as an everyone gets to play regardless of ability/daycare/not very serious sport in Canada? I didn't grow up playing hockey so I'm wondering for those of you who did, would we see this sort of discussion in hockey? Were teams allowed to blow opponents out if possible or was that frowned upon or stopped in some way?

Feh, take your 25-nil losses on the chin it's part of life. When I was a kid and we got blown out the coach just told us to not give up and to keep playing. No matter how bad you're getting beat you keep pushing yourself. If you got beat by a ridiculous score, hell yes the other teams would make fun of you and you would get angry. Next time you played you made sure to play better. Next season you were determined to get on a better team so you wouldn't have to repeat that humiliation.

Some of us were too mentally weak to accept that and quit, the rest of us went on to be better players. Penalizing the victor for being "too good"?! This smacks of Canadian pussyism and won't improve the game one bit.

Amen to that.

I tried to coach community last year and all I got was 14 kids to play 7 a side when I really only needed 9 or 10 at best (the kids don't learn anything rotating every five minutes- but my community league still think there playing foot-hockey). My lot were throw together 5 days before the season. playing against teams who had all played together indoor throughout the winter, in a bizarre form of pre-qualifying which took two months. Safe to say we got stuffed, and ended up playing the rest of the season against the same teams as last year but crammed into two games a week over two months. The pre-qualifying was pointless but the league games were competitive. Why not just pick up the following season where you left off and make more time for the kids to learn the game during the week?

Stop resetting the leagues every year. The less able teams will settle into lower divisions with teams of a similar standard. The good teams can improve but playing competitive games all season. If a stonkinlgy good kids moves into the neighbourhood the team he plays in may improve and move up. Its called promotion and relegation Its how the rest of the world operates.

My brother once played a U-14 game in the UK when they were 'mullering' the oppostion 6-0 at half time.

The coach for the said oppostion was full of praise for his boys at the turn around "well done lads much better than last week keep it up" Turns out they had shipped 3 more by that point in the game before. This mercy rule is more for the parents who can't handle defeat, and thus don't know how to teach their kids how to face it and challenge it.

The first game I ever played in (I was in goal) we losty 6-0. The last Game 10years later? I picked up a Leeds and district county cup winners medal playing for the same side which sold Aaron Lennon to Leeds United. Theres a moral in there somewhere.

Archived