Who will play the final NCC game for TFC?

B&W----> I understand what you are saying however the soccer snobs that dont follow the North American game would understand this obvious choice of youth. I would think they would be even more turned off if they realized the 1st team playing a meaningless game for a title that is already won. Football is the only sport this kind of thing happens to and I don't think casual North American fans will even understand it, or appreciate it.

I am OK with them playing some academy players in the game. 7 would be too much in my opinion even in a meaningless game unless half of them only get a small number of minutes.

With due respect, if your Impact had won any games in the tournament you would have perhaps earned the right to do the same thing, and you would have agreed to it.

This year and last year's versions of this tournament were what they were, and the probability of "meaningless games" being played was always a possibility. This game is meaningless for everyone as the tournament has already been decided with a game to spare.

And if seven is too many than what in your eyes would be a logical number? In a meaningless game what is the difference between one Academy player and seven???

^^ I think the teams owe it to the spectators to put a somewhat decent side out and yes I know the Impact did not do this last year. Thanks for telling me what I would think but actually I disagreed with what the Impact did last year and would disagree this year if they did something similar. It is not the same situation since the tournament has been decided so I think it is OK to play some academy players but don't go overboard. 3 players starting the game would be fine with a few others subbing in midway through the second half. I also think that makes more sense from a development standpoint. Give the 2 or 3 guys that aren't far from making the first team a chance to play with a real first team instead of letting 7 guys play on a team made up of bench players and reserves that isn't that big of a step up from who they are usually playing with.

I read that someone from TFC twittered that they had asked the CSA for permission to play academy players in the last match. I hope permission is not granted considering the agreement that was reached between all three clubs before this years edition of the tournament, and was published somewhere (perhaps on the csa website) that said all teams owuld field competitive first team lineups for all games.

That was to avoid a situation like at montreal last year, where a team melting down affected the outcome for the other two teams.

This year, however, the result of this game will have zero effect on the outcome, so i don't see any problem with it.

Nothing wrong with starting three or four, having the others make up the bench. Good experience for them, and there's nothing competitive left to play for.

Matheson's interesting. I heard he was goign to UConn on a full ride. Maybe TFC can play him a few times this year and convince him to stick around.

^^ I think the teams owe it to the spectators to put a somewhat decent side out and yes I know the Impact did not do this last year. Thanks for telling me what I would think but actually I disagreed with what the Impact did last year and would disagree this year if they did something similar. It is not the same situation since the tournament has been decided so I think it is OK to play some academy players but don't go overboard. 3 players starting the game would be fine with a few others subbing in midway through the second half. I also think that makes more sense from a development standpoint. Give the 2 or 3 guys that aren't far from making the first team a chance to play with a real first team instead of letting 7 guys play on a team made up of bench players and reserves that isn't that big of a step up from who they are usually playing with.

This. TFC have earned the right to play academy players. They shouldn't go overboard, but playing a few youngsters and giving them some high level experience does not de-value the tournament

Nothing wrong with starting three or four, having the others make up the bench. Good experience for them, and there's nothing competitive left to play for.

Matheson's interesting. I heard he was goign to UConn on a full ride. Maybe TFC can play him a few times this year and convince him to stick around.

Playing in this game will make him ineligible for NCAA under their current rules.

Archived