Joe Cannon: could he still switch to Canada?

gkhs

Does anyone have a thorough enough understanding of the new FIFA regs to know if Joe Cannon (San Jose's keeper) could still switch to Canada?

He is eligible, as he has a Canadian father.

He has played for USMNT twice: a friendly in 2003 (vs. New Zealand), and a 2005 friendly (vs. Honduras).

He is 35 years old (not sure if that matters).

Anyone who can answer this question would save me having to actually read FIFA regulations.

I'm kind of a fan of his, I watch pretty much every MLS match (yes, obviously, I'm unemployed), and he is as good as any keeper in the league.

He is evidently not in the top 6 or 8 keepers in the USMNT pool, but I would rate him 1 or 2 on ours.

Surprising that he hasn't been called up yet if he is available and interested. I would have thought that Frank Yallop would have sounded him out about it at some point? Cannon would definitely be an upgrade on Sutton, Wagenaar, Stamatopoulos and Monsalve, in my opinion, and would probably usually edge out Lars Hirschfeld based on being a regular stater for his club.

Surprising that he hasn't been called up yet if he is available and interested. I would have thought that Frank Yallop would have sounded him out about it at some point?

The Yallop era seems to have been when US interest in Cannon peaked (possibly not coincidentally).

Surprising that he hasn't been called up yet if he is available and interested. I would have thought that Frank Yallop would have sounded him out about it at some point? Cannon would definitely be an upgrade on Sutton, Wagenaar, Stamatopoulos and Monsalve, in my opinion, and would probably usually edge out Lars Hirschfeld based on being a regular stater for his club.

Hirschfeld is starting in Norway

Hence why I inserted the "usually". Over the last few seasons he usually hasn't been able to hold down a starting place. It will be interesting to see if he manages to do it consistently with Valarenga for the duration of his contract.

I think Valerenga have put their eggs in the Hirschfeld basket. It's really up to him whether he stays there or not but as long as he's around for the next few seasons, he should be starting.

I believe Frei was clear that Switzerland was his only choice

We shouldn't give up on him anyways, yes he has some of the same blood of Alex Frei, but if he doesn't become a favourite in the Swiss National Team, Canada will have their doors open for him.

He probably is far off their radar right now, Frei said the right thing you never turn your back on your country, but doesn;t mean they won't turn their backs on him leaving Canada as his only real Viable choice and he would be are number one keeper for a long time.

If I'm Hart I'd definitely let Frei now we will always be open to him and will respect his descsion either way. It wouldn't hurt Canada to let Frei know we are willing to be his backup plan.

Look at Swiss goalie list:

Deigo Benaglio (Wolfsburg) 26 years old

Marco Wolfi (Young Boys) 27 years old

Johnny Leoni (Zurich) 25 years old

Eldin Jakupovic (Lokomotiv Moscow) 25 years old

Yann Sommer (Grasshopper) 22 years old

Stefan Frei (TFC) 24 years old

even though they aren't super deep at Goalie I still don't see him getting to be the number one guy ever.

Frei would not be able to meet the 5 year residency until March/April 2014 and he'd have to keep playing with either TFC or one of the other Canadian clubs throughout that period of time before becoming eligible.

Frei would not be able to meet the 5 year residency until March/April 2014 and he'd have to keep playing with either TFC or one of the other Canadian clubs throughout that period of time before becoming eligible.

Great, just in time for the 2014 World Cup. :)

Archived