Venezuela vs. Canada - May 29, 2010 - Viewing Parties

banner_vencan_29may.jpg

Venezuela vs. Canada

Saturday, May 29

Time: 7:30PM EST / 4:30PM PST (30 minutes later than originally announced)

TV Coverage: Sportsnet Pacific only (Sportsnet Ontario will no longer be airing this match live)

The following is a list of gathering places for Voyageurs to view the game (details to be added to this post as they are received).

Victoria -

Vancouver - Malone's Bar and Grill (confirmed - Rochester vs. Vancouver match will also be shown)

Calgary -

Edmonton -

Saskatoon - Sports On Tap (confirmed)

Winnipeg - Grapes Pembina Trail (1910 Pembina, north of Bishop Grandin) (confirmed)

Waterloo - Failte Irish Pub (unconfirmed)

Toronto - Duke of Gloucester (confirmed)

Kingston -

Ottawa - Georgetown (unconfirmed... no guarantees that second half will be shown on their TVs)

Montreal - Cafe Frappe (confirmed)

Very disapointing 1 Voyageur/UM (me), one Canadian fan who just walked in,k 2 UM guys who are not Voyageurs, 7 Argentine fans. For all that we complain that noone wants to show a match for Canada we arrannge something and no one is there! **** I am fed up!

I'll call the Georgetown Pub for the Ottawa Vs. I need to know that there will be others there though as this game is going up against Game 1 of the Cup Final, so I may have to request one of the rooms. Also, the TFC-SJ game will follow at 10:30pm, so I'll probably stick around for that too. So, Ottawa Vees, let me know if you're in. I guarantee it'll be a good time.

Highlights of the game to include:

- Paul Stalteri's 81st cap.

- Pedro "The Canadian Xavi" Pacheco's 1st cap, goal and red card.

- A performance by Al-Shabani that recalls a young (ie 37 year old) Pat Onstad.

- An 87th minute winner by Adam Straith.

Vancouver viewing: The Whitecaps supporters are already gathering to watch their match versus Rochester which starts at the exact same time. It is the only road match of the year that is on television. I will contact that location and see if we can piggy back off them by having one or two TVs on the Canada match.

I'll let you know by Wednesday (tomorrow) where the next Winnipeg venue will be. Cheeta was suggesting Tavern United downtown, but I don't know how footie-friendly they are on a night with UFC and the Stanley Cup Finals. The challenge is also finding a place that will have Sportsnet Digital, Pacific, and Ontario. (SN will not show the match live in West & East.) I'm open to suggestions, but we should have a venue by Thursday.

Thanks to the Winnipeg V's who showed up at Buccacino's on Monday. Having 27 fans show up during cottage weekend is pretty good!

For Toronto, the Duke of Gloucester will be showing the match. It will be followed by the TFC at San Jose match.

We had about 40 people show up for the Argentina match yesterday, which was a pleasant surprise given that it was the long weekend and a ton of people were away to enjoy the great weather. I expect a much bigger crowd for Saturday given that most U-Sector regulars will be in town.

No need to worry about a UFC and/or NHL conflict at the Duke, as they never show UFC there, and the Duke has always been "soccer first" in regards to hockey conflicts.

Ottawa Vees: Anyone coming? I haven't phoned the Georgetown yet because with all the other stuff going on, I don't want them to set aside a TV for just 1 or 2 guys.

Let me know.

I wont be able to be there, wont even be able to watch the game. Travelling to Montreal for the weekend.

Have fun though!

Cheers!

Seb

We will give this another go at Frappe and hopefully some other Voyageurs will come this time (a couple have said they will as have a few UM members). Frappe will show the match this Saturday. They are also willing to give us the big screen with sound and send the NHL fans to the 2nd floor as long as some people show up. So let's get a few people out for this one especially since unlike the last game there probably won't be any fans of the other team boosting the numbers watching the game. Can someone update the first post on the thread and add the following link to Frappe's map/address: http://www.barstlaurentfrappe.com/contact.htm

Cheeta, I'm having some challenges with organizing this one. Many of the venues carry SN West, which doesn't carry the match.

And the other venues have the Stanley Cup ...

Yeah, knew this one was going to be murder. We really do need to find a V friendly home for our little get togethers.

Pal at work was at 4Play (across from the MTS Centre) and said it's quite the venue, if a bit overly commercial. Not sure if it's kid friendly but it's full menu, has every sports channel on the planet and about three dozen independently tunable flat panels to compliment the theatre. Maybe too late to set something up for the weekend but could look into it, for Saturday or maybe as a future Home Base.

Just for ****s & giggles I'm going to give them a call. Busy, busy, so probably not tonight but tomorrow for sure. See what their regular hours are, policy for minors, etc.

The game will hopefully be playing at Failte's in Waterloo. I am hopeful some of the KW Company (TFC RPB supporters group) will show up before the TFC-SJ game that follows the Canada game. I will update when I know more, but this is our home establishment and we generally have the say over what is being played on the screen. It also helps the bar owner is a TFC SSH

I just talked to Looney's Sports Bar (367 Ellice) and the lady I spoke to said they have three different TVs that are normally tuned to different channels and if the game is on they will show it. Unfortunately, she didn't seem too sure about what channels they have and said if it was on "normal TV" they would have it.

So, I'm not quite convinced but it seems like an excellent lead. The downsides would be: They don't have Sportsnet Ontario/Pacific after all; This is not exactly the best part of town (quite close to Toronto Street, I believe!); Is probably not very kid-friendly.

If she's not sure, they probably have SN West only. And on Ellice too. ;-)

Thanks for checking, Doug. A final suggestion would be the Boston Pizza on St. Anne's, which was our venue for the 2008 Voyageurs Cup. They will certainly have the channels, but kids wouldn't be allowed in the lounge but allowed in the restaurant area. Let me know what you guys think.

I have a feeling this one may be a "stay at home and watch" scenario.

Damn the Stanley Cup playoffs ... should have scheduled the game in the afternoon, not at 7. I tried Billabong, but their HD channel is stuck on SN West. No go.

If she's not sure, they probably have SN West only. And on Ellice too. ;-)

Thanks for checking, Doug. A final suggestion would be the Boston Pizza on St. Anne's, which was our venue for the 2008 Voyageurs Cup. They will certainly have the channels, but kids wouldn't be allowed in the lounge but allowed in the restaurant area. Let me know what you guys think.

I have a feeling this one may be a "stay at home and watch" scenario.

Damn the Stanley Cup playoffs ... should have scheduled the game in the afternoon, not at 7. I tried Billabong, but their HD channel is stuck on SN West. No go.

I dont know about you Manitobans, but in Ontario UFC rules at Boston Pizza. I have tried on many occassions to get a TV and have left every time as they are completely unaccomidating when UFC is on. Hopefully that is not the case for you.

Doesn't look too good for the Georgetown Al. They have Rugby on at 6:15pm, the hockey game on at 8pm and then UFC at 10pm. It would be tough for them to give up a TV for just the two of us. I may give this one a pass and just watch it at home.

I wandered by there after work. It is actually downtown, pretty much right behind Portage Place. They do have the right channels. The main downsides are that it is a bit of a dive and no kids allowed. There is a nice little area close to the bar with two TVs that can be set to different channels. I'm guessing this is where we would watch. BP would be much better if they could accommodate us (by promising to show the game).

Heh, we used to drink in that bar before they did the complete reno and it was a dive. They served peanuts in the shell and you just tossed the sheels on the ground as you ate. There piles of shells everywhere.

I can't make it to the game due to dance recital obligations unless I luck out and get hit by a bus. Stupid transit drivers driving prudently and not hitting me.

Ha! Found a place in Winnipeg so that we can all see Pedro and Massiah Wassey. Pulled a few favours, but here it is:

Winnipeg Venue: Grapes Pembina (1910 Pembina, north of Bishop Grandin)

Start time: 6 PM, try to be there at 5:30. Very family friendly!

Let me know if you can make it, sorry for the short notice.

We will give this another go at Frappe and hopefully some other Voyageurs will come this time (a couple have said they will as have a few UM members). Frappe will show the match this Saturday. They are also willing to give us the big screen with sound and send the NHL fans to the 2nd floor as long as some people show up. So let's get a few people out for this one especially since unlike the last game there probably won't be any fans of the other team boosting the numbers watching the game. Can someone update the first post on the thread and add the following link to Frappe's map/address: http://www.barstlaurentfrappe.com/contact.htm

Grizz,

I am in Montreal at the moment. I will DEFINITELY join you at Frappe, and hopefully might bring a friend or two. Will be wearing my Canada kit.

MB

Doesn't look too good for the Georgetown Al. They have Rugby on at 6:15pm, the hockey game on at 8pm and then UFC at 10pm. It would be tough for them to give up a TV for just the two of us. I may give this one a pass and just watch it at home.

I'll show but only if someone else does.

Archived