Impact-Fiorentina Rivalry

With only 8000 people showing up for this historical friendly; the atmosphere in the stadium was terrible especially considering that it attracted a market that is suppose to be in love with soccer, i must admit that i am really nervous about joining the mls 2012. i know that it is only a friendly on a long week but it is against a serie A team but still. Also, this says a lot of the soccer snobs in montreal; im sure that there were many out of the 8000 that have never been to SS before and they brought absolutely nothing to the table in terms of atmosphere or maybe the italians felt shy that a serie A team didnt look very good versus an impact side that is in a very weak league. Please discuss because i am concerned.

**I didnt mean to call the thread Impact-Fiorentina Rivalry but simple just Impact-Fiorentina**

With only 8000 people showing up for this historical friendly; the atmosphere in the stadium was terrible especially considering that it attracted a market that is suppose to be in love with soccer, i must admit that i am really nervous about joining the mls 2012. i know that it is only a friendly on a long week but it is against a serie A team but still. Also, this says a lot of the soccer snobs in montreal; im sure that there were many out of the 8000 that have never been to SS before and they brought absolutely nothing to the table in terms of atmosphere or maybe the italians felt shy that a serie A team didnt look very good versus an impact side that is in a very weak league. Please discuss because i am concerned.

**I didnt mean to call the thread Impact-Fiorentina Rivalry but simple just Impact-Fiorentina**

Well there were positives and negatives about this game. I was expecting a much bigger crowd with a much larger Italian/Fiorentina contingent. On the plus side while there were scattered Fiorentina jerseys throughout the crowd the fans seemed to be 90% Impact and 10% very weak Fiorentina support. I was expecting Impact fans to be a minority in this game. I think one of the big problems is they were playing a mid-table Serie A team without big name players that doesn't inspire much support or hatred outside of its home city while the following week they are playing one of the most loved/hated teams in Italy which even without it World Cup stars can still field players like Ronaldhino. Probably many of the Italians and other European soccer fans who would have come just to see a Serie A team if we were only playing one decided to wait a week and see the big name team. I was in the Impact office shortly after tickets went on sale and the phones were going crazy with people calling for tickets for AC Milan and noone was asking for Fiorentina tickets.

The tickets for this game were more than twice regular price and there were no giveaways or discount tickets. Nor were they part of a season ticket package so there was no base of fans. Additionally, many Impact fans aren't that enthusiastic about friendlies. Given that, I am not sure that it is such a bad sign that 8000 people showed up of whom about 7000 seemed to be Impact fans.

i hope your right grizz! ur assesment makes sense, i feel re assured. there were lots of italians who dont normally go to the games, that said, they showed zero support for the impact, i sat in section 119 and they were upset when the impact scored.

People who were going to "pick and choose" were always going to the Milan game 10 days later. This game got badly overshadowed.

Tickets were more expensive, it was a long weekend and hot as hell outside, and 8k people still showed up without discounts or giveaways. I think it's about what was to be expected. If you see some of the images, you also see the seat distribution is more "natural" (ie everyone in the middle, no one in the corners), which is indicative of something, but I don't know just what quite yet...

I agree that I was surprised not to see more people yesterday, however, I don't worry about yesterday's attendance vis-à-vis MLS. I think Grizzly's comments about the Milan match are spot on. Secondly, the huge support clubs like Juve, Milan, Barcelona, Real Madrid, etc. have in North America often makes us over-estimate the appeal of other clubs. In Italy, you will find Juve fans all over the country, especially in places like Sicily, Calabria ... and all over the world there are lots of Barcelona fans with ties to Catalonia, and lots with noen whatsoever. For Fiorentina, there's a large Italian community in Montréal, but not a huge Tuscan one (if I wrong about this fact I apologize, but I don't believe it was one of the biggest centres of immigration to Montréal). Despite the glory days of Battistuta, Fiorentina is a club people now, but not with a worldwide following.

The bigger trend I have noticed is among certain fans with season tickets - often the 14-15 games included are as many, or more than the number of matches they actually want to see. So, whereas a Champions' League game (such as in the Fall of 2008) is to most hardcore fans more appealing than a regular USL/NASL match, it is seen as superfluous by others. More exposure, history such as the Santos Laguna match, etc... will hopefully help correct this to the point where fans are looking, in addition to their promised league matches, and playoffs (which we are accustomed to from other North American sports) to attend National team matches, their Clubs in the voyageurs' cup, in Concacaf play. I think it's very healthy for supporters to understand that unlike in other North American sports, in soccer your club will be prusuing several trophies, and is part of an international web of competitions.

Where my paragraph above leaves friendlies is another question ... since they aren't as important as "a regualr USL/NASL" match despite the prestige they may be seen to bring.

On the one hand, I'd see Impact play Milan at the Stade Olympique than Juventus play Milan there - I want people to see the Impact as a serious club, which at its own scale, belongs to the world of football. All the better if Montréalers get accustomed to seeing our club playing high-profile matches (whether the match deserves that media profile or not). On the other hand the ultimate goal is not 50 000 fans v Milan, it's to convince 13 000 to pay to watch us play Rochester, to convince 20 000 to pay to watch us play Real Salt Lake, week-in, week-out.

Gentlemen, if you are from Tuscany, you don't emmigrate. You stay in Tuscany. You are not going to find Fiore followers in the same numbers as other clubs, partly for that reason, partly because you don't have significant industry there (a lot of supporters from N. Italian teams are originally immigrants to work in industry from the south, who have taken their newfound team sentiments to the new world with them.).

In any case, it is a bad time to do a friendly I think, world footie fans are just off the leagues and cups and Champions, WC is starting in 3 weeks.

Gentlemen, if you are from Tuscany, you don't emmigrate. You stay in Tuscany. You are not going to find Fiore followers in the same numbers as other clubs, partly for that reason, partly because you don't have significant industry there (a lot of supporters from N. Italian teams are originally immigrants to work in industry from the south, who have taken their newfound team sentiments to the new world with them.).

In any case, it is a bad time to do a friendly I think, world footie fans are just off the leagues and cups and Champions, WC is starting in 3 weeks.

Beides that, Italian Families were too busy polishing off some Sunday lunch :-) Seriuosly 8000 fans is respectable, considering there were no freebies. Expect the Euro snobs to be out full force against AC Milan. AC Milan as a huge supporters club here in Montreal, not to mention those coming in from out of town.

Toronto also hosted an international game yesterday, and drew 13000 fans.

Juventus played the Metro Stars in Jersey and drew 19000.

If i understand my italian History correctly (but please correct me as necessary) the North has alwaya maintained its wealth, the South Less so. Ergo the poor migrate, the Rich stay home.

Save for the young (3rd 4th generations supporting the competative italian club sides) would not most migrants Barrack for historicaly geographic teams I suppose i'm saying I wonder How many would turn up to a Napoli Game?

Florencia is a relatively small city, a modest club with some success, and is essentially middle class. It does not have a wide fan base in the world. Still, I would go just to see some players, for pure football. BTW, how was Kerrison?

Largest fanbase in Italy is la Juve, helped by the fact that Torino is not a serious rival. Largest in the world, AC Milan. Third biggest fan base is Roma. Even the two clubs in Genoa have a larger international following than la Fiore. You would have a much bigger Italian contingent at a Samp or Genova match.

It's a mistaike to think that because Napoli is the largest city in the south it would have a following of southern Italians, not Calabrians, not Sicicilians, not if you're from Bari in Apulia.

I think a lot of 2nd tier clubs do friendlies now because they have their players under contract and logically their month holiday will be June and into July, with the World Cup. So make them play now, in May, rather than have to compete with the big rivals touring in late July-early August.

Beides that, Italian Families were too busy polishing off some Sunday lunch :-) Seriuosly 8000 fans is respectable, considering there were no freebies. Expect the Euro snobs to be out full force against AC Milan. AC Milan as a huge supporters club here in Montreal, not to mention those coming in from out of town.

Toronto also hosted an international game yesterday, and drew 13000 fans.

Toronto hosted the Benfica/Panathinaikos match... As small as Fiorentina is for a Serie A side, the greek and portuguese leagues are much smaller than Serie A and they managed to sell 13 000 tickets... I believe the Benfica-TFC match a couple years ago sold out BMO Field... it was almost all Benfica supporters... not surprised considering the large Portuguese population that live downtown.

I remember the FC Porto-Liverpool match a few years ago drew 45 000 people... surprisingly, Porto supporters were fairly evenly split wiht Liverpool supporters IMO...

Juventus-Fiorentina only drew about 21 000 fans at Rogers center. Shoulda played at BMO Field! I'm a little surprised considering that Juventus has a pretty big supporters group in Toronto

http://www.juventusclubdoctoronto.com/

I suspect Juventus poor season played a role in the poor fan support. Close friend of mine went to the game and heard boo's when Juventus players came out...

Hes a Juventus supporter, but honestly, if he thought the Impact-Fiorentina match would sell out, or else he would have made the trip just to see a Serie A side for a reasonable price.

That's the main reason I did'nt go, I had to take care of my son cause my girlfriend had something to do sunday. I tought it would be fun to go with him but bringing a 2 1/2 in a stand under that sun and in that temperature would be a bit irresponsible.

Sorry I guess I'm a bit irresponsible with my 2 1/2 yr old...in any case my son had a blast with his cousins, didn't watch the whole game, but had lots a fun clapping and screaming GOAL with me on every goal LOL!!!

Like another poster, that poor tube of sunscreen was used and abused that afternoon ;)

That's the main reason I did'nt go, I had to take care of my son cause my girlfriend had something to do sunday. I tought it would be fun to go with him but bringing a 2 1/2 in a stand under that sun and in that temperature would be a bit irresponsible.

hell... you dont have a sun hat ... seriously loved taking my kids to sports events when they were small, and bigger then adults.. its one of the joys of being a parent...

a little spf 50 a sun hat... and bobs your uncle.

hell... you dont have a sun hat ... seriously loved taking my kids to sports events when they were small, and bigger then adults.. its one of the joys of being a parent...

Looking forward to taking my kids to an Impact (okay reseves) game in Edmonton next month! Bet no-one figued that would be happening 18 months ago?

Looking forward to taking my kids to an Impact (okay reseves) game in Edmonton next month! Bet no-one figued that would be happening 18 months ago?

Enjoy! In truth, the way the Impact have been organizing themsleves there isn't really a true B side as all players are more or less getting regular time.

My son actually told me it was too hot to play outside in the morning and slept like a two months old all afternoon that day. He'll see a game in september, you can be sure of that and in section 114 with the UM02.

Archived