Laurent Blanc named new France coach

jpg75

Will take over after the World Cup...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/788937/ce/uk/?cc=5901&ver=us

Laurent Blanc will become France head coach following the World Cup finals after the country's national federation finalised negotiations with his club Bordeaux.

It was announced at the weekend that Blanc had resigned from his position with the Ligue 1 club in order to replace the unpopular Raymond Domenech as coach of Les Bleus.

Bordeaux were unhappy with the conduct of the French Football Federation (FFF) but have now reached agreement regarding compensation and Blanc is free to take up his post with the national side.

A joint statement from Bordeaux and the FFF read: "The French Football Federation, its president, Jean-Pierre Escalettes and Bordeaux FC, its president and shareholder, have reached an agreement for the recruitment of Laurent Blanc as the coach of the France football team.''

Blanc was appointed Bordeaux boss in June 2007 and in the 2008-09 season managed to win both Ligue 1 and the Coupe de la Ligue. This season Bordeaux reached the Champions League quarter-finals but only finished sixth in the league.

Les Girondins were keen to retain Blanc as coach but he was intent on leading his country. Blanc won 97 caps for France and was a member of the side that won the 1998 World Cup, although he missed the final due to suspension.

He was also in contention to take the France job following the departure of Jacques Santini in 2004, along with Glenn Hoddle and Jean Tigana, but lost out to Domenech.

The current incumbent has proved unpopular, despite reaching the World Cup final in 2006, and has become something of a figure of ridicule, especially after responding to elimination from Euro 2008 by proposing to his partner.

Now Youri Djorkaeff, a member of the 1998 side, has claimed that Domenech is an embarrassment to the national team.

"When I see that big brands have advertising campaigns offering to reimburse consumers if Les Bleus win the World Cup, I'm shocked,'' the former Monaco, Inter Milan and Bolton man told Le Parisien.

"It gives us an image of losers. But now, we have a coach who wants to make everyone laugh. Suddenly, it has become a fashion - even the sponsors are there. It is a disaster in communication."

Reading the headline, I thought France might actually have a chance at success in this World Cup until I read the first sentence: Laurent Blanc will become France head coach following the World Cup finals

Be interesting to see who will be the worst coach at the WC, Domenech or Maradonna.

Reading the headline, I thought France might actually have a chance at success in this World Cup until I read the first sentence: Laurent Blanc will become France head coach following the World Cup finals

Be interesting to see who will be the worst coach at the WC, Domenech or Maradonna.

Maradona will be world champion. Quote it ;).

Archived