Henry to New York Determines How Far We've Come

powerof11

Wow, look how far the league has come! Only the 30th or so aging, fading, former superstar to sign on the dotted line...

Agreed. As much as I feel Henry will still have something to offer MLS, this is turning into the NASL Part 2.

LOL @ Philly!!

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/188171-pires-rejects-phillys-offer-because-city-isnt-pretty?xid=cnnbin&hpt=Sbin

Former French international Robert Pires has turned down an offer to join MLS team the Philadelphia Union. According to reports in France, the former Arsenal star rejected the Union's overtures because the quality of the city does not live up to his expectations. Pires explained that he would prefer to retire than move his family to a city that wasn't "beautiful."

LOL @ Philly!!

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/188171-pires-rejects-phillys-offer-because-city-isnt-pretty?xid=cnnbin&hpt=Sbin

Pires explained that he would prefer to retire than move his family to a city that wasn't "beautiful."

Ouch! The thing to admire about soccer and its culture is how its athletes and coaches always speak their mind. Just listen to coaches in their post game press conferences and then contrast that to, say, NHL coaches. Soccer coaches will often single out a player whereas it seems that hockey coaches always follow the political correctness route that seemingly comes from media training courses. Players are no different. I cant help but think of some comments from John Carver after a Voyageurs cup game versus the whitecaps where he said that he wondered how Jeff Cunningham scored so many goals in this league.

^wow that's a blast from the past, nice link!

Lots of good little tidbits in there:

- Brian Budd interviewed by Peter Gzowski after winning the Superstars competition

- Team Canada thumbing their way to WC 1986

- Some kid named ********** who wasn't good enough for our youth program

We've fallen a long way since the 80's...

Though alot of things are still the same, i imagine a Vancouver crowd today would still cheer for the American club team playing against a Toronto team in the final...

Though alot of things are still the same, i imagine a Vancouver crowd today would still cheer for the American club team playing against a Toronto team in the final...

So?

What's Henry's last name anyway?

He's brazilian, like Alex(I know he's "Japanese").

Wow that CBC vid "Canada cracks the World Cup" has a depressing scene, that parade to send off the '86 team that no one came for. I wonder if it was another case of the CSA failing to tell anyone about it.

Henry's full name is Henry Ballhandler esq.

Curious to see how that plays out. Henry has said he wants to play in America/New York. A deal w West Ham certainly would be a couple years so by the time that contract is up he's finished. If he goes to WH, the idea over playing in NY is likely over.

Curious to see how that plays out. Henry has said he wants to play in America/New York. A deal w West Ham certainly would be a couple years so by the time that contract is up he's finished. If he goes to WH, the idea over playing in NY is likely over.

Not over, just completely pointless from New Yorks perspective, I'm sure he'd still take a ****ton of money for a couple years once he feels like his 'real' career is done. Hopefully new york can get him now (even though it's bad for us it would be good for the league) cause he's probably got time to find his feet again especially if he goes to a less talented league but in two years he might not be worth the big bucks even here (he'll still probably get them though).

and soju, Henry Ballhandler esq., hilarious.

• 2 weeks later...

^^^^Re "Ouch! The thing to admire about soccer and its culture is how its athletes and coaches always speak their mind. "

Yeah this may have benefits but it also brings with it a gossipy and petty side to the sport that you don't get in hockey!

I think this move is huge forthe league. More newbs will see a level above MLS in MLS. NY will be very competive and proabably sell out road games. I just hope thet sell out they're own stadium. Also I hope they tell Thierry before he drags his ass over here that he's gonna play in NJ...

Doesn't have to live in NJ though, which is what matters.

But yeah, this is so NOT an indicator as to how far MLS has progressed. Henry has always dreamed about living and/or playing in NYC. He would've considered this move no matter how crap or how good the league was.

Archived