New names for Vancouver MLS team

Gian-Luca

11. Vanchester City (very trendy right now)

10. Olympique du Steve Nash

9. Pottingham Forest

8. Yoga Juniors

7. Deportivo de la Chinese Food

6. Bayer Lenarduzzi

5. Toke City FC ("The Potters")

4. Inter Pam Anderson

3. Granolatasaray

2. Birkenstock Wanderers

1. Crystal Meth Palace

I haven't laughed that hard in a while. Rest assured none of these (I love #8) will replace Whitecaps. What a great list and joke.

Vancouver Whitecaps FC has a strong brand presence and recognition built over decades and not just in Vancouver. Why throw all that away by rebranding the business?

The suggestions are only made in jest but will the team be able to use the Whitecap moniker? I.e. is the franchise just changing leagues?

Too bad if there is a name change as "Whitecaps" is a good name with a strong brand.

I would give really long odds on the team not being called exactly what it is now... Vancouver Whitecaps FC.

Vancouver City, Inter Vancouver, blah blah blah...

They risk losing a lot of history and heritage renaming the club something different imho.

Although Yoga Juniors with a kit sponsor of Vancouver based Lulu Lemon Athletica would be class! :D

I would give really long odds on the team not being called exactly what it is now... Vancouver Whitecaps FC.

Vancouver City, Inter Vancouver, blah blah blah...

They risk losing a lot of history and heritage renaming the club something different imho.

Although Yoga Juniors with a kit sponsor of Vancouver based Lulu Lemon Athletica would be class! :D

Maybe, but I really think Vancouver City sounds great off the tongue and is very representative of what people call Vancouver in the city, most people attach city to the end of Van already. As much as I won't oppose staying as the Whitecaps and recognize that it has a lot of history and some people hold it up to the Cosmos in terms of historic relevance of Football in VanCity.

I do however see a chance to change the name and maybe try and play the new franchise card in terms of promoting and shaking up the marketing. Whitecaps no matter what they end up calling the MLS Vancouver team will never be lost, and would become an unofficial nickname among supporters circles. I don't really believe that changing from the Vancouver Whitecaps FC to Vancouver City is not a major change especially since I strongly believe if they changed they would still use whitecaps and could still incorporate it into the crest, allowing it to remain the nickname.

That being said, I believe Vancouver City is the only on that really works, Inter Vancouver, Real Vancouver, Vancouver FC, Vancouver United and so on just don't sound good at all, they sound butchered when spoken allowed, Vancouver City honestly sounds natural when spoken.

Archived