Serioux, done with the nats?

Soju

Serioux's been a player like Gerba who consistently performs better for the national team than with his club. He was not included in the squad for the upcoming Argentina/Venezuela friendlies. He seems to be struggling with Houston now, and was hot/cold with TFC last season. While it may be too early to say, does anyone think Serioux's days are numbered with the nats? Have we come far enough in defensive depth to do without him, or is his resurgence simply a matter of club form?

***MLS HOUSTON @ RSL SPOILER BELOW***

As an aside, his recent outing for Houston against Real Salt Lake was a rough one. While he made some good tackles, his weak man marking led to two of RSL's goals, while a failure to clear resulted in the third.

highlights here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCNA4x6HvIQ

Yeah Adrian was caught out twice really badly, the replay on the one header goal off the free kick (or what it a corner?) doesn't lie: he completely lost his mark. I think we're starting to have the rosey TFC glasses removed and are beginning to see the down-sides of all the players that have been cleared out (not all of us, some were already fully aware).

I voted no, I think the only problem is that, although he's got a lot of good CB skills, he's a defensive midfielder, which is a position were pretty strong in, and the position he's moved into is pretty strong for us too. But with all the examples of decent players aging well continueing to get call ups, I can't help but think if de guz and hutch couldn't make a game, he would be a great call up.

A bit of an over reaction to be asking this question based on one poor game I think.

Question and the game aren't really related, I'd just happened to see those highlights as I was starting this thread.

Anyone heard anything regarding Hart's decision not to call Serioux for these friendlies? I'm wondering if Houston simply asked to keep him since they were already giving up Onstad and Hainault. The alternative would be Hart favours Hastings for cover at center back which imo doesn't bode well for Serioux's CMNT future.

I think people are reading too much into Serioux's omission. It's just the simple fact that we have already taken two guys from Houston, I doubt with their injury problems that they would've been too keen to send a third, especially when they don't have to. Hainault had recently lost his starting spot, so he was expendable, and I think letting Onstad go was a professional courtesy to let him play in Argentina. Serioux has started the last two games for the Dynamo for the injured Eddie Robinson and even though he played poorly against RSL, reports indicate that he was a beast against Chivas. This would've been around the time that Hart would be asking Kinnear to let Serioux go. It's not that big of a stretch to believe that Houston asked to keep Serioux around rather than Hart not rating him all of a sudden for some reason.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived