Toronto FC @ Los Angeles Galaxy. May 15

Toronto FC (3-4-0)

@

Los Angeles Galaxy (7-0-1)

05/14/10

Toronto FC's search for their first road win in 2010 takes the Reds to Carson, California, where Los Angeles Galaxy lie in wait. The home team is unbeaten in 2010, winning seven and drawing one while boasting the highest point total, the leading goal scorer (Edson Buddle) and best defensive record in MLS. Toronto is winless on the road but enter the match sitting third in the Eastern Conference, having gained all of their nine points at home.

The match kicks off at 10:30 p.m. live on Rogers Sportsnet.

What's up with Garcia? He looks confident and is playing as well as i've seen him play. Toronto looks like they might have a chance to get something out of this game at the end of the half.

Its half-time. I think Sangyang is really doing a good job filling in for De Guzman's defensive-mid role. He's still inconsistent, but I think this has been his best half I've seen him play against a superior offense (Buddle & Donovan)

Not too bad so far given the absence of JDG. Think people can relax about the question of whether they can get the job done away from home. The combination of Saric and Sanyang looks a lot stronger than it did against RSL. Garcia is staying at home all the time at left back and Usanov isn't getting forward much either so it's all about solid defence to try to set up 0-0 at a minimum and trying to catch the Galaxy with a quick counterrattack to sneak a win. Saunders looks like he has a weak goal in him. Too bad DeRosario picked up the knock. He was linking superbly with Barrett prior to that but towards the end of the first half much less was happening up front.

Hearing the background Rogers stuff on bet365.com right now. Dobson and Forrest clearly don't know their microphone is live.

Watching the post-game on GolTV. Does Preki really believe they out chanced LA tonight? I also don't see how the chance in time added on where Frei made the double save could have been offside, as Preki claims.

He seems like an odd dude to me.

2-2 would have been fair(ish), I guess. TFC's chances were excellent, and LA's many chances were clearly good ones on just a few occassions.

However, it's clear in this match TFC just don't have enough technically-sound players. Frei, JDG, De Ro, and maybe LaBrocca? The others worked their socks off though, and without JDG on the pitch, Sanyang certainly wasn't going to maintain possession.

Starting to look encouraging now as Frei mentioned on the Sportsnet telecast the team is starting to gel. Two good league performances in a row, mixed in with two decent Voyageurs Cup matches. The big concern now is that they still don't have enough offensive depth - although having said that, Ibrahim remains un-used on the bench and I think has literally only played 5 minutes this year. I'm not sure if they didn't put him on because they figured Nane would be able to leap for high balls better or Preki simply doesn't rate him at this time, but Nane clearly didn't know what to do out there - not really his fault as he's not a striker. Once De Ro & Barrett were subbed off though that was one of the least offensive line-ups I'd ever seen from an MLS team, and Gala taking the bal to the corner flag in the hopes of preserving a draw was a giant advertisement for the fact that TFC was all about achieving a 0-0 draw in that 2nd half. Usanov getting a red depletes an already depleted line-up for next Saturday - perhaps they might play Garcia at right back if Gargan is still out & put The Latvian back at LB. Good game for Attakora and Cann continues to exceed my expectations - they really read the game well tonight.

Hope Julian's injury doesn't keep him out for long....

To be fair to Joseph Nane he held the ball up quite well when linking with Gabe Gala (who is finally beginning to look like he belongs on the senior roster on merit rather than on passport) but he definitely appeared a bit lost when it came to applying pressure and taking passes away towards the end. I though the biggest disappointment was Peterson. Getting close to the point where the coming back from injury explanation doesn't apply any more.

good game, I would have pulled barrett earlier though, mentally he was good, ambitious and clever but technically, he was having a piss poor game, his touch and dribbling were poor but it's still nice to see he didn't check out at all despite it. Nane unfortunately was even weaker, he looked like he was just chasing the ball without thinking to hard or running to hard either, it was annoying because he was running around at the same pace as the guys who had already played 70 minutes. He did one pretty clever thing I thought though, one of the galaxy players would give a guy a shove in the back when a long ball went high, the ref's ignored one for advantage and didn't seem to get a full look at the other but I think they gathered what was up, so nane backs up into this guy, and crumples to ground and the ref who had been waiting to make exactly that call fell for it.

Considering LA Galaxy is undeafeated this season, and TFC had not won any points on the road, I'd say the result is definitely encouraging, the last 10-20 minutes notwithstanding.

Frei was brilliant at the end to save the result. There would have been a lot of broken spirits had LA scored in extra time.

By midway through the second half, I was absolutely positive that TFC would find a way to lose. They were being thoroughly out-played at that point, look very tired, and were creating absolutely nothing going forward.

But this team is starting to show some resiliency that we haven't seen before. Toronto FC in 2009 would have lost that game. Toronto FC in 2010 held it together to save a point.

I'm starting to be optimistic that this team could actually make the playoffs.

Peterson will need to do a lot more if he wishes to secure a spot on this club. At least two horrendous decisions on his part could have lead to LA goals. Was also badly out of position more than a couple of times, he didn't seem to be reading the play well at all.

I was watching both the TFC and Caps games on the little screen last night but kept the audio on the Caps game. Toronto got a point on the road, against the #1 team, while playing a lot of games in a short period of time. Over all a good result. TFC could have been up 2-0 in the first half but got totally owned in the second half. LA really put the pressure on but Frei came up big again (and again). Good game

Archived