Vancouver Whitecaps Vs. Montreal Impact 05-15-2010 (R)

Looking forward to this one. Game will be televised on SRC (french CBC) at 10:30 P.M. EST.

Game preview: http://www.montrealimpact.com/News/News.aspx?language=EN&ArticleID=1371&Focus=0

Interesting fact, The Montreal Impact are 23-9-5 in the 37 games the two teams have played in (45GF-26GA).

Here is my starting 11 For IMFC

Jordan

Braz

Pesoli

Pizzolitto

DeRoux

Donatelli

Testo

Pastel

DiLo

Rocco

Roberto B.

Looking forward to this one. Game will be televised on SRC (french CBC) at 10:30 P.M. EST.

Game preview: http://www.montrealimpact.com/News/News.aspx?language=EN&ArticleID=1371&Focus=0

Interesting fact, The Montreal Impact are 23-9-5 in the 37 games the two teams have played in (45GF-26GA).

Here is my starting 11 For IMFC

Jordan

Braz

Pesoli

Pizzolitto

DeRoux

Donatelli

Testo

Pastel

DiLo

Rocco

Roberto B.

I agree with your lineup and I find it amazing how quickly a guy with the pedigree of Billy has played himself out of our lineups. Hopefully he's still just adjusting to the NA game... at least in the meantime Braz and Donatelli are hardly weaker options at those positions.

Starting lineup 4-4-2:Jordan, deRoux, Aaboubou, Pizzolitto, Braz, Testo, Di Lorenzo, Donatelli, Soares, Placentino, Byers

Brown is on the bench. I'm starting to think his days with Montreal are nearing an end.

Wow Byers eh? Besides his goal in NCC, hasen't done much to conserve his role as a starter. I still believe in Roberto, he's a better option in the air, but I guess Byers is really going to get his opportunity this year.

There are professional players. This is not a professional referee.

The short stadium side of the field where the camera spends most of it's time has a higher number of women and girls than I've ever seen at a men's game.

0-0 with the Caps having more chances but Montreal looking dangerous on the counter (as usual). Good game despite no goals. Not a boring game. Jordan was MOTM for the Impact easily and Stewart for the Caps. He filled in great for Nash.

There are professional players. This is not a professional referee.

The short stadium side of the field where the camera spends most of it's time has a higher number of women and girls than I've ever seen at a men's game.

I bet the parking lot is full of mini vans.

Well, back from the game. I agree, it wasn't a dull one at all. Both keepers made key saves - Nolly a huge one in the first half off of Placentino.

Not that impressed with the Caps this year. Like the Sounders (who I also watch from a distance on account of my brother being a Seattle resident and season ticket holder) they tinkered carefully with last year's side and, for the most part, tinkered well, I thought.

But they don't look like that great of a D2 squad, let alone like a team gearing up for MLS. There's a lot of good pieces but they aren't fitting together - it almost seems like the midfield can't seem to gel with the strikers.

Haber looked a bit lost out there. Sure he had little to no service, but he also could have shown a lot more initiative, I thought, as Toure did through most of the game. Losing the early rounds of the Bunbury vs Haber debate, I'm afraid.

Hirano was (understandably) rusty, Sanchez has a great foot but seems out of game-shape, or at least out of touch.

Nice to see Phillippe Davies get some minutes, but he squandered a great couple of chances late by looking for perfect passes instead of hitting hard and low towards the net ( I can hear Howie Meeker's voice in the back of my head as I type this)

As I "V" I am disappointed Hemming isn't starting more games/ getting more minutes, even worse considering D2's (silly) 5 substitutions and the extra burden of the busy schedule at this time of the year. Might he be regretting the move after playing most of the season last year at the same level with Charleston, I wonder? I guess we have the next generation guys like Davies and REB and Agourram to cheer on from a Canadian point of view.

And must be slightly embarrassing for Chris Williams to be featured in the local paper and then ride the pine himself. Masster we spot on with his analysis pre-game re: Williams getting too much credit.

Were any Caps being rested for Wednesday? It didn't look like it to me, but I'm wondering what others thought.

Nice night for football. Fun to watch different groups coming together and forming their own sub-sections of the Southside - must be a hint of what's to come next year in MLS.

Entertaining Football match, with each side squandering goal opportunities. 0-0 draw was a fair result I taught, and IMFC can't be upset by coming away with a point in a span which sees them play 3 games in a week, having to fly out west and back. Roberto Brown, Patrick Leduc and Stefano Pesoli did not make the trip.

Here are my player evaluations;

Jordan: Was hesitant at times, but always made the right decision in the end. Still would like to see more leadership from the veteran, as his backline seem asleep at times. Made key saves in the second half to preserve the draw, and keep his team in the game. 8

Braz: Was pressured all night, and could not get forward on the right flank. He still remained available as a short passing option, but was unable to get his patented crosses into the box. Remained disciplined for most of the game, but still managed to chirp with the ref all game. Made a nice defensive play when he cleared a dangerous cross out for a corner. 7

Pizzolitto: Still one of the best man markers in the League (Ask Haber), but is extremely frustrating to watch him distribute the ball. Yesterday he seemed to be working with two options, either back to the keeper, or blasting it up field to no one in particular. He should be looking for Felipe Pastel, and make him take care of distribution. 6

Aaboubou: Hicham is a hard worker, but I don't think he's done enough to earn a spot as a starter. Pesoli and Joqueviel help compensate for Pizzolitto's short comings on the offensive side of the ball, where Aaboubou does just enough to survive. Nice player to have around, but eventually he will give up his place to either Pesoli or Joqueviel .6

DeRoux: Probably a good candidate for MVP thus far in the Season. I think he will be part of the MLS 2012 squad, but he must improve his defensive game before then. I taught he was at his best, when DiLo moved towards the right side, and left him the left side to roam. Took a few cracks from range that were unsuccessful. Also took a few knocks, but a good game overall. 8

Donatelli: Had an excellent first half, where he was involved in some nice build ups and ball possession. Was seen a little less in the second half. Seemed to have problems with his foot wear and slipped a few times. Tony has to be more consistent, and more involved in the last third. He has the talent to be in the top 5 in scoring in this league. 6

Testo: Had a descent game, but that's not good enough for a player like him. I still believe he hasn't fully recovered from his injury, as he's not battling like he was in previous years. Kept things simple. Liked the fact that he was one of the few mids, who attempted to switch wings on occasion. Has to be better. 6

Pastel: Was subbed off again, and unable to complete the game. The yellow he picked up on a useless foul didn't help his cause. Watched some video from Portugal, and is at his best when he is the general in the midfield, and plays the role of a real number "10". He has show flashes of his ability, but it hasn't become natural yet. 6

DiLo: Game in game out always one of the best players on the field. Watch the highlites, and count how many times DiLo is involved in a scoring opportunity, and you will understand how important he is to this club. Spent most of the last 15 mins on the right side of the pitch, which seemed to diversify the scoring opportunities. Another strong candidate for MLS 2012. 8

Rocco Placentino: Almost put the Impact ahead in the first half, when he demonstrated an excellent first touch, to go around a Vancouver defender in tight, and got off a shot that was deflected By Nolly into the upright. I still believe that he would be better used as a winger then a forward, but Dos Santos has no other better options at that position. 7

Byers: Had a Glorious scoring opportunity, where he did well to go around a defender in the box, but managed to flub his shot at net. Hasn't found the form he displayed last season, where he punished defenders with his speed and power. Has to gain in confidence, as he possess all the tools needed to be a good striker. 6

Subs:

Sebrango: Looks like Eddy is going to end his career as a sub. Didn't generate much in the minutes he played. 6

Agourram: Came in for Placentino, and demonstrated his potential. Will get better as he gains experience. 6

Gatti: Impressed once again, and Dos Santos must find a way to integrate him in his starting 11. 8

Billy: Should of burried the one timer, on a nice pass from DiLo, but botched the opportunity. Looks more comfortable playing at his natural right back position. 5

Only seen the Caps two Nutrilite games so not sure how representative it is... they look solid as ever just hampered by a little too much pretty meat and potatoes in the final third. Last night I think the Montreal back line had more creativity and guile than the Vancouver front line. They need a little latin Speedy Gonzalez to create some chaos and throw a backline off-balance. I guess everyone could use an Agüero or Messi, just get the feeling they could use it a little more than everyone else.

Were any Caps being rested for Wednesday? It didn't look like it to me, but I'm wondering what others thought.

There were no players to rest. Nash, James, Khalfan out injured. Steele away for personal reasons. The lineup pretty much picked itself.

Archived