Vancouver Sun: Caps defender is money in the bank

Caps defender is money in the bank. Williams proving his worth, whatever it is

By Bruce Constantineau, Vancouver Sun May 14, 2010

Don't believe everything you read in Wikipedia.

The online source says Vancouver Whitecaps defender Chris Williams pulls in a cool $850,000 a year playing for the tier-two USSF D-2 squad.

That's twice the 2009 guaranteed salary of Toronto FC star Dwayne De Rosario and nearly the same pay packet hauled in by L.A. Galaxy and U.S. international superstar Landon Donovan.

"It's not true," Williams said Thursday, when asked about the absurd salary misinformation. "My mother-in-law called my wife last week and said: 'Does Chris know about this?' "

Williams may not make superstar money in Vancouver but the Canadian international defender gets lots of playing time on a team with a great defensive record so far this season.

Goal scoring has been a well-documented Whitecaps problem -just four goals in five regular-season games - but the team has the league's best defensive record, giving up just two goals in those five matches.

Williams is pleased with the low goals-against record this year but feels the back line can still improve.

"We're basically a new team and the back line has worked hard to adapt to each other and solidify ourselves," he said. "We don't have too many goals against so far but we still need to tighten it up these next couple of games."

Williams, who has made three appearances for the Canadian national team, is a fixture on the right side of the Whitecaps back four -along with former Charleston Battery teammate Nelson Akwari, Greg Janicki and Zurab Tsiskaridze.

Whitecaps head coach Teitur Thordarson said Williams caught his eye whenever the Caps played against Charleston the past two seasons.

"I really like his way of coming forward -- that was very noticeable when we played against them," he said. "We haven't seen too much of that yet because he has needed some time to adjust to our way of defending. That's normal."

Thordarson said when Williams is on his game, he's very effective at coming forward and creating two-on-one opportunities on the flank and getting into crossing areas.

Williams said Thordarson has urged him to use his abilities, especially his athleticism and pace.

"He basically gives us freedom to do what we want out wide and it has been good with Wes Knight and Nizar Khalfan [playing right midfield] because I can overlap," he said. "I'm almost 29 but my legs are still going so that's a good thing."

Toronto-born-and-raised Williams still keeps in touch with national team manager Morgan Quarry and hopes to earn more international caps before his career ends.

Like most new Whitecaps this season, Williams was attracted by the prospect of playing with Vancouver's new Major League Soccer team next year but said he will play his best this year and see where that takes him.

"If a team in Europe comes along, so be it," he said. "If MLS comes along, then so be it. I'd love to play MLS in Canada because I'm a Canadian and it's a growing sport that will continue to get bigger and I want to be part of that movement."

Expect Williams in the lineup Saturday when the Whitecaps host the Montreal Impact at Swangard Stadium, the two sides' second meeting in 10 days following their 1-1 draw last week in a Nutrilite Canadian Championship game.

Montreal lost 1-0 to Toronto FC this week and was knocked out of contention to win the 2010 Nutrilite title. But the Whitecaps have struggled against the Impact in the past year, dropping five straight games to the Montreal side last season before the draw last week.

SIDE KICKS: Caps captain Martin Nash will miss his second straight game with a back injury while midfielder Jonny Steele will miss the match for personal reasons, leaving the door open for Ricardo Sanchez to get more playing time ... Defender Takashi Hirano, who has missed two months with a left knee injury, will likely make his 2010 regular-season debut against Montreal ... Whitecaps president Bob Lenarduzzi will join CBC's broadcast team covering the 2010 World Cup next month.

bconstantineau@vancouversun.com

© Copyright © The Vancouver Sun

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Caps+defender+money+bank/3026693/story.html#ixzz0nyGMNZg6

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Caps+defender+money+bank/3026693/story.html

I don't want to pat myself on the back too much, but I called it. Williams did not start the match against Montreal with Wes Knight at right back in his place. Teitur says in this interview that he was not happy with his performances:

Archived