NCC Game Day 3 - Montréal Impact vs. Toronto FC [R]

Well perhaps someone who was at the game in Montreal can give us a good idea of what the game was like. I watched it on television and couldn't make head nor tail of what was going on because the camera work was so unbelievably bad. Half the time when a free kick or thrown in was being taken the camera wasn't on whoever was taking it. Meanwhile when the ball was in play half the time the camera was about 5 seconds behind the play, giving us a good view of who used to have the ball, while the other half of the time the camera seemed like it was in a different time zone being so far away from the action on the opposite side of the field.

If Rogers Sportsnet (assuming they are the ones responsible)wants ratings to increase for their soccer games that they produce, they'll need to do a million times better than that. And I hope that the additions to Saputo Stadium bring some better camera positions with it and a better vantage point for tv broadcasts.

Some random thoughts while trying to be as neutral as I can in this.

I thought it was a pretty even game that could have gone 1-0 either way and probably from the run of play a tie would have been a just result. On the other hand one has to admit that Toronto has often been able to get the one goal against us that they needed in many games and they did so again tonight. To some extent I think the team Preki has built is a bit less talented than previous TFC teams but more evenly balanced, almost like a USL team. They don't have as many standouts as they used to but also have a lot less real weak points and they play much more as a team. Add to this the fact that there are obviously a couple of players like JDG and DeRo who are better than anyone we have and right now you have a USL level team with a couple of star players playing against a USL level team without any star players. I still don't find the MLS-NASL/USL difference in level as big as it should be but I think the MLS is going in the right direction with the increased minimum player salary.

I think the chances were pretty even on both sides. I think winning the USL championship last year stopped us from fixing one of our main problems which is consistently scoring goals. We go on streaks but we don't have any striker who can turn the game around or can score on the one chance he gets. We saw against Minnesota when we had what seemed like 500 corners that we can not score on standards and tonight was no different. Rocco is fast and has amazing technique but needs to finish better. I would like to see him start more this year because with some goals and confidence maybe he could be the guy we need. Byers is similar but very hot and cold and doesn't put away enough of the easy goals. Brown often does nothing and is completely lazy and undisciplined but when a big game comes he not only all over the field helping out everywhere but also scores. Nevertheless, if Brown is going to contribute to this team we need him to play every game the way he can not every 4th game. Sebrango is probably in his last year as a player and is not playing to the level he used to play. He shows signs at time of his former ability but also doesn't seem to be consistent. Agouram has lots of talent but needs to be brought along slowly. What the Impact sorely lack is a dependable consistent scorer, we have talented streaky guys but not steady guys who put the ball in the net no matter what. Donatelli also should have scored to make it 1-0 for us and he really needs to improve his finishing as well. We seem to have a lot of decent players with good speed and technique but who can't score when they should and this has been a problem with this team as long as I can remember. Since the USL/NASL always seems to have some weak teams this problem is not as prominent as it should be so it isn't fixed.

With TFC, it seems that Barrett who in some ways is a similar player to Rocco and Byers, is finally gaining some confidence and starting to score. And as much as I am probably DeRo's biggest critic with the national team, I have to admit at the MLS/VCup level he is a superstar and we do not have a player to counter him on the Impact. To some extent it is a tragedy that he never is able to reach this form in international play but at the level he is playing for his club he is very strong. I also have to admit that I was surprised that Cann who I always found mediocre with Vancouver was signed by a Danish club and didn't expect much from him for TFC. However, it seems that the year in Europe has really helped his development and he seems a much stronger player than he was before he went there. We have seen this with a few other players as well such as Serioux and Simpson. I am not sure whether TFC will make the playoffs this year because with a few exceptions they seem to be pretty mediocre but on the other hand this team will at least probably give a much better fight than in previous seasons. Whether Preki's way is the correct one remains to be seen but they are at least playing like a team and possibly in future years with less salary cap restrictions (ie. fewer Mo mistakes on the payroll) he will be able to upgrade the talent.

Attendance was announced as 10737 but obviously that was tickets sold. The actual number of people in the stands was a bit better than I expected given the Habs game, probably about 7000. Very bad timing and otherwise would have been a sell out but on the other hand even a few years ago who would have thought that a soccer game between two Canadian teams would draw 7000 fans on the same night that the home team's hockey team was playing a 7th game in the second round of the playoffs?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We have to come to the conclusion that the TFC players are more skillfull than us... Individually and as a team. We will be able to compete come 2012.

Full marks for perspective, accuracy and class.

I thought it was a pretty even game that could have gone 1-0 either way and probably from the run of play a tie would have been a just result.

Sure could have been a tie, we've all seen it happen many times in games like that but I thought TFC was the better team and the win deserved. They were stronger in possession and Montreal, despite needing a win, oddly never committed to the attack. They had a few chances but never had the danger TFC did in their attack.

Toronto had difficulty converting their technical superiority to points because of players like Gala and Barrett who neutralized their opportunities on a regular basis. Not sure if that's unusual or standard. Gala was a positioning, effort and decision-making horror show and Barrett reminds me of that X-Men character Rogue who kills everything she touches. I'm sure he'd say he created the goal but if DeRosario doesn't make the run to put in his missed shot it's just another blown quality opportunity.

The ref was well below the level of play and why a guy like that gets assigned to a national championship is puzzling.

Don't understand why a supporters group smokebombs their own keeper and leaves him scrambling to try and scope the field through thick fog while the other team are moving through and around his penalty area. Bizarre.

Add to this the fact that there are obviously a couple of players like JDG and DeRo who are better than anyone we have...

They both played well but DeRoux was the best player on the pitch.

That's a pretty good neutral analysis of the game, Grizzly. The game was pretty even; I'd love to see ball possession percentages as it seemed that TFC had more of that and chances as well. Without some good grafting by Barrett, don't know if the goal would have been scored by DeRo.

I was also pleasantly surprised by the crowd. When I showed up, I expected to see the Ultras and the TFC supporters and a smattering of other fans. Credit to you lot for showing up in more or less the same numbers as previous matches at Saputo inspite of the hockey game.

They both played well but DeRoux was the best player on the pitch.

True. Of the "Dees", I'd have to rank them

1. De Roux

2. De Ro

3. Di Lorenzo

4. De Guz

... in terms of the impact they had on the match. #3 and #4 could go either way.

I also felt the match was pretty even, and could have ended entirely differently if Rocco or Donatelli had converted their early and relatively straightforward chances.

Was Gala really as bad as Vic says? I thought he had a decent match, and the fact he wasn't subbed out early suggests Preki might have agreed. I don't understand why he can't a decent run in MLS while TFC regularly trots out the likes of Gargan and Peterson.

even a few years ago who would have thought that a soccer game between two Canadian teams would draw 7000 fans on the same night that the home team's hockey team was playing a 7th game in the second round of the playoffs?

That's something that get me really excited!

We have to come to the conclusion that the TFC players are more skillfull than us... Individually and as a team. We will be able to compete come 2012.

Well, Brown would have been a better option upfront than Rocco. It was a 1-nil win. TFC held the edge in posessions, but really, it was an eveningly matched game, so Brown alone could have been the difference. It would be interesting to see what % of TFC's possession was in the defensive-end.

For the Impact to be competitive in MLS, they really don't have to make many changes, except to replace older players like Sebrengo (who will likely retire by 2012).

They could consider a DP type player to replace 1 or 2 of the older guys, but really, some high quality MLS players to replace the retiree's will make the Impact competitive.

Some random thoughts while trying to be as neutral as I can in this.

To some extent I think the team Preki has built is a bit less talented than previous TFC teams but more evenly balanced, almost like a USL team. .......

I think winning the USL championship last year stopped us from fixing one of our main problems which is consistently scoring goals. We go on streaks but we don't have any striker who can turn the game around or can score on the one chance he gets. We saw against Minnesota when we had what seemed like 500 corners that we can not score on standards and tonight was no different. ........................... What the Impact sorely lack is a dependable consistent scorer, we have talented streaky guys but not steady guys who put the ball in the net no matter what.

I was surprised that Cann who I always found mediocre with Vancouver was signed by a Danish club and didn't expect much from him for TFC.

Missed the first half of the game but I thought that it lacked in entertainment . Cann has been the most pleasant surprise for me this season. I didn't think much of him prior to this seaon but so far I noted that he strong positionally and gets to every ball. I always had questions about his skill level and pace and I haven't seen anything to change my mind in that regard. But overall, I am very impressed by what he has contributed defensively. Judging from what we have seen under Preki, this sounds like the kind of player that he likes and who may folourish under this kind of philosophy.

As far as goal scoring. Until Monteal gets to the next level it will difficult to improve in this area because goal scoring is quantifiable and a more visible element of the game. So the corresponding talent will more easily find takers at clubs and leagues where the budgets are higher.

Was Gala really as bad as Vic says? I thought he had a decent match, and the fact he wasn't subbed out early suggests Preki might have agreed. I don't understand why he can't a decent run in MLS while TFC regularly trots out the likes of Gargan and Peterson.

Word on Gala has been that he really doesn't apply himself in training. I'd imagine that has changed though, as Preki wouldn't be playing him if that's still the case.

As far as Peterson, he's apparantly a pretty decent winger by MLS standards, but he is just returning from al long while out with an ACL injury. He'll need time.

Gargan looks alright for a squad player, I assume he's on a cheap salary.

Missed the first half of the game but I thought that it lacked in entertainment . Cann has been the most pleasant surprise for me this season. I didn't think much of him prior to this seaon but so far I noted that he strong positionally and gets to every ball. I always had questions about his skill level and pace and I haven't seen anything to change my mind in that regard. But overall, I am very impressed by what he has contributed defensively. Judging from what we have seen under Preki, this sounds like the kind of player that he likes and who may folourish under this kind of philosophy.

As far as goal scoring. Until Monteal gets to the next level it will difficult to improve in this area because goal scoring is quantifiable and a more visible element of the game. So the corresponding talent will more easily find takers at clubs and leagues where the budgets are higher.

With NCC play, and international friendlies coming up for IMFC (Fiorentina and AC Milan) I would have signed Ali Gerba to an open contract, with the hope that he would stick around till 2012, or at least give him an option to leave if a better offer comes along. Sandro Grande was signed to same type of deal, unfortuneately it ended on a sour note in his case.

Well perhaps someone who was at the game in Montreal can give us a good idea of what the game was like. I watched it on television and couldn't make head nor tail of what was going on because the camera work was so unbelievably bad. Half the time when a free kick or thrown in was being taken the camera wasn't on whoever was taking it. Meanwhile when the ball was in play half the time the camera was about 5 seconds behind the play, giving us a good view of who used to have the ball, while the other half of the time the camera seemed like it was in a different time zone being so far away from the action on the opposite side of the field.

If Rogers Sportsnet (assuming they are the ones responsible)wants ratings to increase for their soccer games that they produce, they'll need to do a million times better than that. And I hope that the additions to Saputo Stadium bring some better camera positions with it and a better vantage point for tv broadcasts.

+1

Few thoughts;

4). LOL! Poor Vancouver. The ball is in their court now but poor, bastards. They might have been done in by Montreal a-gin.

I'm not blaming Montreal. Full credit to Toronto this time. They clearly look like the best team.

I agree with you, i thought overall Gala had a positive game. His offensive effort might not have translated into goals, but you can tell the opposition has to respect his speed and skill and if he keeps at it good things will come.

it had the best football of the 3 Nutrilite games so far.
Perhaps on a technical level (eg. fewer errors), but...

it lacked in entertainment
I'm surprised it took so long for someone to say that. I found it difficult to concentrate on most of the game (though I did have the hockey game on PIP).

Really, all three games this year have been dull.

Yeah this year's competition has been a bit of a yawner compared to the previous two. If this is the proverbial low point for this competition, then it's exciting to think what it'll be like with the four teams and with Vancouver in MLS.

Yeah this year's competition has been a bit of a yawner compared to the previous two. If this is the proverbial low point for this competition, then it's exciting to think what it'll be like with the four teams and with Vancouver in MLS.

Well that could be a problem. I really believe that what has made this competition so entertaining in the first two years was the fact that one team played in the the MLS (which is discribed as the first division) and the other two played in the USL. The pressure was on TFC and it showed in the games through the fact that they would be the team pressing and pushing the ball forward, while the others looked to soak up the pressure, tackle hard, win balls and hit on the counter. The USL clubs were looking to gain respect for their leagues and their level of play. And, you could clearly see this on the faces and the emotions of the players for the Impact and Whitecaps. In club soccer, this often creates very entertaining games with numerous scoring chances and tension filled and nail biting moments where pride is at stake. Similar to Cup matches overseas.

But this year, under Preki, TFC play a style similar to the typical USL sides. Plus, when Van and Mon join MLS, the pressure will be off because a league's (and players) reputation will no longer be on the line (You beat us in the Voyageurs Cup?.. big deal !.. we beat you two weeks ago in MLS). Sadly, I'm a little worried for the Voyageurs cup. Hopefully Edmonton and a few other Canadian cities get in.

Well that could be a problem. I really believe that what has made this competition so entertaining in the first two years was the fact that one team played in the the MLS (which is discribed as the first division) and the other two played in the USL. The pressure was on TFC and it showed in the games through the fact that they would be the team pressing and pushing the ball forward, while the others looked to soak up the pressure, tackle hard, win balls and hit on the counter. The USL clubs were looking to gain respect for their leagues and their level of play. And, you could clearly see this on the faces and the emotions of the players for the Impact and Whitecaps. In club soccer, this often creates very entertaining games with numerous scoring chances and tension filled and nail biting moments where pride is at stake. Similar to Cup matches overseas.

But this year, under Preki, TFC play a style similar to the typical USL sides. Plus, when Van and Mon join MLS, the pressure will be off because a league's (and players) reputation will no longer be on the line (You beat us in the Voyageurs Cup?.. big deal !.. we beat you two weeks ago in MLS). Sadly, I'm a little worried for the Voyageurs cup. Hopefully Edmonton and a few other Canadian cities get in.

Have to agree with this. Part of the charm of the tournament is that you get to see teams that you don't see any other time during the year (I'm saying this as a TFC fan). Once they are all in the MLS, the games lose their uniqueness.

Have to agree with this. Part of the charm of the tournament is that you get to see teams that you don't see any other time during the year (I'm saying this as a TFC fan). Once they are all in the MLS, the games lose their uniqueness.

What's stopping us from having an open cup format like any other football nation? Seems to work fine in the US, for both MLS and NASL teams (schedule wise). Heck I'd open it up to senior amateur sides.

What's stopping us from having an open cup format like any other football nation? Seems to work fine in the US, for both MLS and NASL teams (schedule wise). Heck I'd open it up to senior amateur sides.

1) We dont have any infrastructure beyond the current top three clubs.

2) The other clubs are not really professional (in operating terms and in appearnce)

3) As a results of point #1 and #2, this would drag down the brand value (that has been built up) of these existing three club.

Who wants to see TFC play a suburban team? nobody. And its goes the same in the other two cities. Those team dont have a following and dont have support, so whats the point?

What an awful match to watch. I wanted to poke my eyes out, but maybe that is a little harsh. Only a little though...

I was at the game on Wednesday and I have to agree. The first half was dreadful. It got better in the second half. I think the addition of Barret made a big difference. As far as Montreal is concerned, only deRoux and Di Lorenzo showed any spark. Placentino *****ed and complained about every single thing he was involved in. What does he expect? The Toronto players to let him go by untouched? It was nice to see Sebrango get on the field late in the game. I always admired him during his heyday. Sadly, time has caught up with him.

1) We dont have any infrastructure beyond the current top three clubs.

2) The other clubs are not really professional (in operating terms and in appearnce)

3) As a results of point #1 and #2, this would drag down the brand value (that has been built up) of these existing three club.

Who wants to see TFC play a suburban team? nobody. And its goes the same in the other two cities. Those team dont have a following and dont have support, so whats the point?

Well, I don't believe that every club participating in the US open cup as the proper infrastructure, or are professional(in operating terms and in appearnce). Don't see whats wrong with a club like Thunder Bay Chill surprising TFC, or IMFC. Games are played on the field, and not on paper. While attendance might suffer at home For TFC, IMFC, and VWC, It surely couldn't hurt for the smaller clubs. It's the same as any other Football nation, It might not seem to be Important for a first or second division club, but it would be paramound for the lower level clubs.

Well, I don't believe that every club participating in the US open cup as the proper infrastructure, or are professional(in operating terms and in appearnce). Don't see whats wrong with a club like Thunder Bay Chill surprising TFC, or IMFC. Games are played on the field, and not on paper. While attendance might suffer at home For TFC, IMFC, and VWC, It surely couldn't hurt for the smaller clubs. It's the same as any other Football nation, It might not seem to be Important for a first or second division club, but it would be paramound for the lower level clubs.

Running before you're walking there. I'm content to watch the addition of Edmonton. If attendance does a little better in all cities representing with some tv audience growth THEN think about adding minnows. Problem is we have leagues with our academies in them. Doesn't makee sense for them to compete in this.

Archived