Montreal Impact vs NSC Minnesota 05-08-2010 (R)

The Impact come away with three points and win the game 2-1. The Impact dominated the first half, but had nothing to show for it on the score board. The Second half was pretty much a free for all, where Pizzolitto missed a penalty kick, Minnesota scored first, and Placentino scored twice, including one in stoppage time.

Here are my player ratings for Montreal Impact;

Matt Jordan: Was forced to make one huge save in the first half, off the only Minnesota scoring chance. The Minnesota goal came off a defensive blunder where Cvilikas broke free, and calmly slipped the ball behind Jordan. Would have liked to see a more commanding presence from the Veteran, as he lacked communication at times with his defenders. 7

Braz: Picked up another Yellow in this game, as he was caught deep in Minnesota territory, and got lazy by tugging at an opposing players shirt. Discipline issues have been hampering Braz thus far, and it's hurt the team. His reputation is not helping his cause, and refs are keeping a close eye on him. Thought he had a good game on the offensive side of things. Put in several dangerous crosses from the right side, but the Impact strikers weren't able to finish. 7

Pizzolitto: The skipper did not have his best game. I think it's time to hand over the task of taking penalties to a forward. Pizzolitto is 50% this year, but this really would have hurt if they facing stronger opposition. His ball distribution was limited to going back to his keeper, or long balls out to his strikers, that rarely reached the target. Nevio has been an all star in this league, and is capable of much more. 5

Aaboubou: Not a bad game over all, but seemed to stumble on the Minnesota goal. Pushed forward on every Impact corner, even getting his head on a couple of them, but was unsuccessful in getting them on net. Hicham has shown to be a reliable player, but wouldn't be quite ready to say he has earned his position as a starter. Pisoli is close to coming back from Injury, and Joqueviel was available today even though he was nursing a leg injury. The maestro is likely to choose from the two for Wednesday's Darby. 6

DeRoux: Showed flashes of last year's brilliance on the second Impact goal, as he flew by a defender, and crossed to Placentino for the winner. Still is shaky in his defensive responsibilities, but is learning to play safe, and clear balls when danger is present, instead of trying to bring out the ball by himself. He remains an import part of this team's offense, experience will allow him to know when to take risks. 7

DiLorenzo: Still can't get over his choice of hair style, and at times, I think I'm watching ... dare I say it ... Pablo Vitti! The hair has luckily not affected his play, and was the offensive catalyst in the first half. The Impact had their mids switching sides, which had DiLorenzo roaming into the right side switching with Donatelli on occasion. The move resulted into some nice stretches of ball possession from the Impact. 7

Pastel Soares: Another good game from Pastel. Seems to go down often, increasing his chances of being injured. This signing looks better every game, but he's still lacking chemistry with his strikers (Byers & Brown today). He could be extremely dangerous when given time & space, as was the case today playing a weak Minnesota team. 8

Gatti: Excellent game playing his favored midfield role. Was all over the pitch today, and displayed great vision. Was most impressed by his ability to make himself available as the best passing option. I think he is going to force Dos Santos to find him a spot in the starting 11. 8

Donatelli: Has solidified himself as the starting right winger. Was robbed by the Minnesota keeper on a beautiful sequence which saw Donatelli attempt a half volley after the impact displayed decisive passing. Still has a tenancy to take the foot off the pedal during the game at times, but is also capable of orchestrating scoring chances. 7

Byers: Missed what looked like a sure goal, when he broke free, and went in alone, but unlike the Vancouver game, was not able to slot it home. Byers is often cheated by his poor first touch, and seems to panic when he gets golden opportunities. Was disappointed by his play in the air, as he and his striking partner Brown were unable to connect on well crossed balls. 6

Roberto B: Playing his first game after his suspension, and looked uninspired at times. He is most valuable when he plays back to the net, putting himself in a position to find a better option, or turn and take a strike himself. Nice to see that there was very little arguing with the Ref from Roberto. Lets hope this was a conditioning game for Roberto, who seems to play his best games against strong competition.6

Subs:

Placentino: Man of the match has he scored both Impact goals. This is three consecutive good games from Rocco, and he deserves to start.

Billy: Looked more comfortable in his natural right back role. Nothing flashy, but looked more involved. Might be an option to start against Toronto.

I thought the Impact were a bit fortunate to be awarded a penalty. It was probably a foul, but it appeared to occur outside the penalty area, and in my books it wasn't a red card.

I really like what I've seen from Filipe Pastel the last 3 games, which is a surprise because I thought we has terrible against TFC.

I thought the Impact were a bit fortunate to be awarded a penalty. It was probably a foul, but it appeared to occur outside the penalty area, and in my books it wasn't a red card.
If it was a foul then it was a red card because Friedland was the last man back.

Having watched the replay several times, I agree that the incident occurred just outside the box, but since the PK was missed this turns out to be a moot point. However, I would say that it was not a foul, so Montreal were fortunate to go up a man.

It kinda looked to me like he tried to do a trick and tripped over himself (the ball seemed to get stuck on his left calf pushing it with his right foot and then his momentum kept going and he fell over), I could be wrong, but thats how it looked to me. What an ending though...

Archived