Montreal 2012: Conference press tomorrow

Blackdude

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup the name stays, hopefully the logo leaves but who knows.

Saputo paid the full 40 millions he refused to pay last time

Quebec gov't shelled out 23 millions to help expand the stadium, build a training center (synthetic turf) and accomodations for the players, which will be available not only to the Impact but to other Montreal teams as well.

He probably doesn't speak French but made an effort, acknowledging the importance of French especially when in Quebec - good for Garber.

I always appreciate that... in the case of people like Bob Gainey, etc... it's a sign of respect even if cringe-worthy.

Yup the name stays, hopefully the logo leaves but who knows.

Saputo paid the full 40 millions he refused to pay last time

Quebec gov't shelled out 23 millions to help expand the stadium, build a training center (synthetic turf) and accomodations for the players, which will be available not only to the Impact but to other Montreal teams as well.

I REALLy hope the logo goes. Hard to imagine it won't. It's not really terrible but just way too cartoony and swooshy to be taken seriously at top flight.

let's get in line for those tickets!!!!!i wonder if having season tickets now gets you any shortcuts? let's hope it does, because these babies are going to go really fast!!!!!!

go impact go!!!!!!!!!!!! there should be some new groups coming in to help the ultras!!!!i think the whole section behind the net should be only ultras and organised singing groups.....

that guy is a joke!!!!!he is talking about montreal sports teams as failures. is he kidding me! the last time the habs made the finals? how about the last time the leafs finished last? oh ya, every year it is a battle for that seller dweller spot with long island.hahahhaahahha....remember, the impact will make the playoffs way before tfc and will have more success doing it as well. i remember when in toronto they were saying that the run in CCL was so fluky and that when they would get in, everyone would see what they will do....they got in last year, oooooops i forgot they lost vs puerto rico and didn't get in...hahahahahhaa....torontonians are just jealous that every now and then we montrealers have something to cheer about. hell, the whitecaps will definately have more success than TFC. yes i agree, that the fans in Toronto are very good, but just wait and see what montreal has in store for the MLS. We get over 10k in this league with good ultras, toronto had 300 people at lynx games and 4 ultras.... this will be a fierce rivalry and i can't wait to see my first real derby.....because the nutrilite has good games but not yet what the MLS games between us will look and feel like!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If its true that Saputo paid $40 million, then it must be that he didn't have the money the last time. I am sure that some from the west coast would not admit it, but all the scuttlebut leading up to the last round of expansion pointed to Montreal being the front runner, if not a slam duck to get in. TFC even lobbied for the Impact. Then, Saputo ( at teh lat minute) short changed the league by submitting an offer well below the stated expansion fee and rolling the required stadium upgrade cost right into the cost of expansion. The offer wasn't even in US dollars. Vancouver gets in for a reported $35 Mill and Montreal has to wait another year and it ends up payng the original $40 Mill.

Either Saputo didn't have the money at the time or he really misplayed his cards.

that guy is a joke!!!!!he is talking about montreal sports teams as failures. is he kidding me! the last time the habs made the finals? how about the last time the leafs finished last? oh ya, every year it is a battle for that seller dweller spot with long island.hahahhaahahha....

Sorry, gotta point out 1 false statement. I'm NOT a Leaf fan, but you gotta learn to talk with your brain, not your emotions. Leafs were basement dwellers once, and thats THIS season. Every other year since the Lockout, they made at least a half-hearted attempt to get into the playoffs, usually just missing it.

I'm not a Leaf fan... but heres my observation. Hab fans have a short memory... After 93, the Hab's spent 8 playoff-less seasons. The Leafs haven't sunk nearly as far as the 1993-2002 Habs. Its been 5 years for hte leafs.

Since 93, the Leafs have made the Eastern Conference Finals FOUR TIMES. Habs? ZERO! They've never made it past the 2nd round for over 17 years. Maybe this year will be their first!

In fact, every other Canadian team have made the 3rd round since 93, EXCEPT the Habs. Between 1993 and today, every Canadian team have made AT LEAST 1 Conference Final appearance (or beyond). Vancouver in 94, Edmonton (2006), Calgary (2005), Ottawa (2006), Leafs (93, 94, 99, 2002).

This means, Leafs have been closer to winning the cup than the Hab's have since 93 on 4 occasions.

I never understood how you can hate another canadian city that much. I dislike TFC, but I do not hate Toronto. I think life is so much better when you are able to see the good in everything, but that's probably a weird concept for these people.

If its true that Saputo paid $40 million, then it must be that he didn't have the money the last time. I am sure that some from the west coast would not admit it, but all the scuttlebut leading up to the last round of expansion pointed to Montreal being the front runner, if not a slam duck to get in. TFC even lobbied for the Impact. Then, Saputo ( at teh lat minute) short changed the league by submitting an offer well below the stated expansion fee and rolling the required stadium upgrade cost right into the cost of expansion. The offer wasn't even in US dollars. Vancouver gets in for a reported $35 Mill and Montreal has to wait another year and it ends up payng the original $40 Mill.

Either Saputo didn't have the money at the time or he really misplayed his cards.

I am pretty sure he had the money. He gambled on making a low offer and lost. I also suspect that whatever is said publicly, he probably got a deal similar to that given to Vancouver and Portland. There was a lot of drawn out negotiations even up to the last minute and Montreal is too attractive a market for MLS to be really hardline on the expansion fee. The offer last year was way below what MLS wanted so they turned it down but I think once he got into the ballpark on acceptable numbers they were pretty willing to negotiate.

Sorry, gotta point out 1 false statement. I'm NOT a Leaf fan, but you gotta learn to talk with your brain, not your emotions. Leafs were basement dwellers once, and thats THIS season. Every other year since the Lockout, they made at least a half-hearted attempt to get into the playoffs, usually just missing it.

I'm not a Leaf fan... but heres my observation. Hab fans have a short memory... After 93, the Hab's spent 8 playoff-less seasons. The Leafs haven't sunk nearly as far as the 1993-2002 Habs. Its been 5 years for hte leafs.

Since 93, the Leafs have made the Eastern Conference Finals FOUR TIMES. Habs? ZERO! They've never made it past the 2nd round for over 17 years. Maybe this year will be their first!

In fact, every other Canadian team have made the 3rd round since 93, EXCEPT the Habs. Between 1993 and today, every Canadian team have made AT LEAST 1 Conference Final appearance (or beyond). Vancouver in 94, Edmonton (2006), Calgary (2005), Ottawa (2006), Leafs (93, 94, 99, 2002).

This means, Leafs have been closer to winning the cup than the Hab's have since 93 on 4 occasions.

Not a Leafs fan :D :D :D

yes i agree, that the fans in Toronto are very good, but just wait and see what montreal has in store for the MLS. We get over 10k in this league with good ultras, toronto had 300 people at lynx games and 4 ultras.... this will be a fierce rivalry and i can't wait to see my first real derby.....because the nutrilite has good games but not yet what the MLS games between us will look and feel like!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL, how presumptious. It is well known that Toronto has developed a reputation for being a Major League town. This is why the Lynks, Argo's and Marlies are NOT successful in the box office.

But this is the same reason why Toronto CAN sustain an NBA, and MLB franchise and Montreal can't! Heck, you put a top-division Cricket team in Toronto, and I betcha it would sell out! The only way Pointy Footie would EVER sell out regularly in TOronto is if/when the NFL comes to town (after LA & Mexico City of course).

So this goes back to comparing the USL Lynks/Impact to the MLS TFC/Impact. The point is you can'T compare. Just because Montreal can support 2nd Division better than Toronto, doesn'T mean Montreal can support 1st division better than Toronto. To be fair, I am 100% sure the Impact will continue to sell out like they always have. But can they TOP Toronto's market in both television ratings & ticket sales? Probably not. Its a smaller market, less people to draw from.

In fact, if we look at sports as a whole, not just soccer, you'll find that Toronto has a much stronger history of supporting 1st division sports than Montreal (MLB, NBA, NFL Bills @ Toronto). Montreal on the other hand, have a strong history of supporting 2nd tier sports better than Toronto (ie: Allouettes, Impact, Royals)

Take baseball as an analogy.

1) The Montreal Royals (Jackie Robinson's professional debute) was a successful minor league baseball franchise. During its era, tHey were the BIGGEST baseball team in CAnada. Minor league success obviously didn'T translate into The Expo's doing better selling tickets than the JAy's

2) Expo's left town, yet Jay's can be sustain a franchise. 10 000 fans is pathetic, but still better than the 5000 Expo at Olympic Stadium. Toronto never had a minor league baseball team, if they did, it probably would have failed within 2 years.

Not a Leafs fan :D :D :D

Um, everything I stated was fact. I didn't even attempt to twist the facts in my favor. Habs spent 8 years on the outside looking in. Hab's fans tend to have selective memory.

Montreal fans have to realize, just because the evidence points to a certain direction, doesn't translate into me being a Leaf fan. It is fact that the Leafs, as well as every other Canadian team, have performed better than the Habs since 1993.

For me, Hab fans and Leaf fans are a like. Just because I tell a leaf fan that the Leafs have NOT won a Stanley Cup since 1967, I'm accused of being a Sen's or Hab's fan. Um... No. I'll only consider flipping a car over if the Oilers win the Stanley Cup. Not 1st round victories...

Archived