We Can't Have A Serious F-cking Competition witn Beer League Refs

The CSA website has our national list. http://www.canadasoccer.com/national-list-s14692

FIFA Referees:

Silviu Petrescu

David Gantar

Paul Ward

Carol Anne Chénard

Michelle Pye

Sheena Dickson

FIFA Assistant Referees:

Joe Fletcher

Daniel Belleau

Philippe Briere

Darren Clark

Marie-Josée Charbonneau

Suzanne Morisset

Both National List and FIFA List referees can officiate MLS and NASL games, although not all of them do.

Wow Sylviu will be retiring soon isn't 45yrs old the limit for FIFA refs? Not too many young refs we have.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow Sylviu will be retiring soon isn't 45yrs old the limit for FIFA refs? Not too many young refs we have.

For a minute there you had made my day as yes FIFA does have a 45 year old retirement age for refs, ie. we will be rid of Petrescu in October. However, not sure if that retirement age applies to MLS refs or not so maybe the news is not as good as I thought. After October he won't be able to ref international matches that would not involve the Canadian MNT or club teams anyway. Does anyone know if MLS has a ref retirement age?

For a minute there you had made my day as yes FIFA does have a 45 year old retirement age for refs, ie. we will be rid of Petrescu in October. However, not sure if that retirement age applies to MLS refs or not so maybe the news is not as good as I thought. After October he won't be able to ref international matches that would not involve the Canadian MNT or club teams anyway. Does anyone know if MLS has a ref retirement age?

LOL well I rmbr IFF changed the rules for Collina when he hit 45....With MLS it's a different story all togheter since they play by their own rules lots of the time. Didn't they just turn a few Refs "full-time" before they were just amateurs(not that they are better now). Anyhow I think that the CSA should invest some money into having some young Refs(maybe early to mid 20's) being sent to Europe into some D2 league to get more experience. Yes it's costly but if in say 5-7years(and yes a good ref needs at least 300games at a decent level) we want to have some quality refs and maybe a Canadian League then we better start now, instead of Bitchin at the Refs for the next decade.

Any Thoughts on this list? Good, Bad, Ugly?

National List Referees

David Barrie

Mathieu Bourdeau

Drew Fischer

Geoff Gamble

Chris Grabas

Francis Latulippe

Alain Ruch

Rubinco Smilev

Justin Tasev

Yusri Rudolf (ON) ~

Robert Schaap (QC) ~

Marie-Soleil Beaudoin (ON) ~

National List Assistant Referees

Lyes Arfa

Marco Arruda

Micheal Barwegen

Bedik Charchafian

Kevin Duliba

Gianni Facchini

Andrew Foster

Richard Gamache

John Gray

Dereck Illingworth

Jean-Francois Marchand

Peter Manastyrsky

Oscar Mitchell-Carvalho

Christian Palavicino

Steven Pollock

Marie-Eve Bergeron (QC) ~

Thx Lord Bob for getting the link

The guy who reffed the Voyageurs Cup final was Drew Fischer and it seems most people were happy with his performance. There were a couple of calls I would like to see again before commenting on his performance in the match but I have not gotten around to watching it again. However, he got a lot of praise for an MLS match a few days earlier in which he called a penalty but conferred with his assistant who was in a better position and then overruled his own decision (the assistant was correct on the play). I think he got praised in particular since so many MLS refs are card/penalty happy guys who like to play a key role in determining the game's outcome (ala Sylviu) that it was refreshing to see a ref humble enough to admit he made the wrong call and overturn it: http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/05/29/pro-praises-referee-drew-fischer-correctly-changing-penalty-call-sporting-kc

Archived