We Can't Have A Serious F-cking Competition witn Beer League Refs

On the whole, I thought the ref was fine. Yes, the dive by Marlon James was a bad call, but how many times do we see refs fall for dives in Europe. I was standing right behind the goal and Marlon fooled me too. This is not a problem that is unique to Canadian officials. The only other call that I thought he got really wrong was when Rocco pulled down Janicki and he called the foul on Janicki. 2 poor calls in an entire game is not that bad.

Compare this to some of the poor officiating that we have seen in previous edition's of the Voyageur's Cup (Montreal @ TFC final match 2008, Rocco's phantom offside goal in 2009), and I will tale Gamble's performance any day.

I agree. I had forgotten about how Placentino got a free kick essentially out of his own foul. I just don't think the ref was an issue until he fell (hard) for Samuel's dive. I agree with Grizz in that he shouldn't have, apparently, been so sure of his judgement in that situation to not consult his AR.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grizzly, the fact you bring up "bias" and "calls going against us" devalues the very true statement that reffing in the NCC is often problematic. Sure, we've been victims of bad calls, but thers no pattern of IMFC being deliberately target.

sh|t happens, and it seems that a lot of it is falling on us in the NCC.

Rocco was onside, sh|t happened.

The Vincy dived, sh|t happened.

The problem is not that we're being purposely being sh|t on, the problem is the fact sh|t happens, and no one wants to clean it up.

Saying it's deliberate makes people shut down their brains and laugh at us because they think it's a conspiracy. MDS has to stop whining about reffing "against us" and in the case of the Vincy getting 10's across the board, you should do the same.

All of us, as Canadians should want the sh|t cleaned up, because when it starts falling on their favourite team, they'll have reason to complain, and others will probably laugh at them for saying that too. That's why we should want an improvement.

And it's more than the occasional bad ref job that happens in every sport, its just a continual poor performance.

^^ There is absolutely a pattern of IMFC being on the end of bad calls whether deliberate or not. Even ignoring all the other dodgy reffing decisions and just considering the two most blatant ones, that is 2 games out of 10 Impact VC games where blatant inexcusable reffing errors caused us to lose games. It is possible it is just bad luck or incompetent reffing but if a 20% rate of games with major blown calls against one team were to continue throughout the competition this is well above what chance would dictate.

Yes reffing errors occur throughout the world of football. Additionally, if people are paying attention recently, it is also widely apparent that reffing corruption is occuring regularly throughout the world of football. I myself have seen games in Germany that several years later turned out to be fixed by the Croatian mafia with refs who were receiving direct bribes. At the time of the matches I thought the reffing was terrible but also thought that was because reffing in the German 3rd and 4th divisions was just bad. The reffing in these matches was no worse than that in the two VC matches in question.

Now I am not suggesting that I think that the CSA refs are taking straight bribes as the was the case in these matches. However, one also has to look at the reffing culture in this country and from my sources there is a lot of politics that goes on in who gets promoted as CSA refs and who gets to ref certain games. One also has to look at the situation of Canadian soccer. In these games, the majority of players whether NASL or MLS are playing at the highest level they can attain and for most of them there are not that many opportunities for career advancement. With the refs it is a completely different situation. Pleasing the federations both provincial and national can catapult them from low paying jobs to high paying, prestigious gigs as international refs for CONCACAF and FIFA. We only have to look at our friend Archundia's career to see how someone making blatant miscalls that help the favoured teams of his federation can parlay that into a major reffing career including WC appearances (where he actually shows that he can be a good ref).

Whether or not the poor reffing to date in the Voyageurs Cup is due to simple incompetence, bias or corruption, the CSA needs to clean things up. Incompetent reffing that gives the appearance of bias is going to hurt the reputation of this competition. It is unacceptable for the refs to be making continual errors that decide the results of games.

As for the calls against Montreal, perhaps if the Impact didn't constantly play like thugs they wouldn't receive so much punishment from the officials? Just a thought.

(This is coming from a fan of a Preki-led team. Martin Saric has nothing on Adam Braz.)

So fouls that aren't there should be called based on the reputation of the team "committing" them. I assume you use the bolded term loosely.

Seems every time we play the Timbers in Portland the games are hard fought but the officiating is very good. I'm thinking specifically of the second playoff game last year. 2 teams with an intense rivalry and in the playoffs makes for hard game to call but I thought he did great. Maybe we need to import some officials for the Voyageurs Cup games.

I remember that game (that I saw on tv) and I was very impressed by the quality of the ref. The fact that I remember it should show how good I thought he was in that game.

Since I have complained about some of the other refs in this competition, I have to say the the ref tonight was fine. He was Dave Gantar from Edmonton. Maybe we should start keeping tabs on which refs seem to be competent and unbiased. The more we keep our eye on them the more the CSA will have to as well.

Since I have complained about some of the other refs in this competition, I have to say the the ref tonight was fine. He was Dave Gantar from Edmonton. Maybe we should start keeping tabs on which refs seem to be competent and unbiased. The more we keep our eye on them the more the CSA will have to as well.

To be fair this was by far the easiest match to ref so far. No real controversy, not a dirty or high tempo match....

• 3 years later...

Petrescu's terrible performance yesterday inspired me to revive this thread. Don't know that any of his myriad of blown decisions changed the outcome of the game (unlike how he screwed FCE in the previous round) but what a terrible reffing performance nonetheless. Does the CSA (or MLS for that matter) not evaluate refs? Petrescu has been an absolute burden on the Canadian Championship from the beginning yet continues to be selected. He is the worst Canadian ref yet seems to be top of the list as far as the CSA is concerned. As the title of the thread says, he should be reffing in beer leagues not the Canadian Championship or MLS.

Isn't Petrescu considered one of the best refs in MLS (I know that isn't saying much)?

Didn't he do the MLS final.

As a TFC fan I never really liked him. Always seemed like he tried too hard to NOT look like he is biased towards the home team.

• 2 weeks later...

Well to be fair the officiating crew got it right last night. There is hope for us all :)

Not saying they were correct on everything but they didn't let the game get out of hand and yet let it flow, got the offsides correct, kept up with play and didn't make any horrendous blunder calls.

Well to be fair the officiating crew got it right last night. There is hope for us all :)

Not saying they were correct on everything but they didn't let the game get out of hand and yet let it flow, got the offsides correct, kept up with play and didn't make any horrendous blunder calls.

Agreed. Invisible refs = good refs. On the other hand, teams that just play and don't try to cheat/chip their way to a win make it easy on the refs. What a great game.

Why did two officials have CSA patches on, and the other two FIFA?

Never noticed that before.

The officials with CSA patches can't work international competitions (only CSA-sanctioned games). Those with FIFA badges can work international tournaments, WCQ, etc.

The officials with CSA patches can't work international competitions (only CSA-sanctioned games). Those with FIFA badges can work international tournaments, WCQ, etc.

Figured it had to with accreditation, but then I thought maybe they just wanted to get together and share.

Can someone tell me how many FIFA "sanctioned" Refs do we have currently? Those that can ref Intl matches, tournaments etc. I guess that would include linesmen too?

Are CSA refs ok for MLS work or only the FIFA sanctioned ones?

What I would like to see on the CSA part is get say 5-10 Young Refs and sign a contract with another federation in order for them to gain Experience. It could be Ligue 2 play or something similar but get them some experience.

Can someone tell me how many FIFA "sanctioned" Refs do we have currently? Those that can ref Intl matches, tournaments etc. I guess that would include linesmen too?

The CSA website has our national list. http://www.canadasoccer.com/national-list-s14692

FIFA Referees:

Silviu Petrescu

David Gantar

Paul Ward

Carol Anne Chénard

Michelle Pye

Sheena Dickson

FIFA Assistant Referees:

Joe Fletcher

Daniel Belleau

Philippe Briere

Darren Clark

Marie-Josée Charbonneau

Suzanne Morisset

Both National List and FIFA List referees can officiate MLS and NASL games, although not all of them do.

Archived