Whitecaps Residency win 1st Annual Coast Capital Cup

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/pdl/schedule/2010_05_02_v_Victoria_Highlanders.aspx

Pre-season, so you can't read too much into it. Abbotsford has a new coach who is trying to revitalize the squad and put his own stamp on things. Meaning: They've gone young! Many 18 year olds on the roster etc.

(Of note - a SUPER 20 League is in the works for the Pacific Northwest, and the American clubs are in support of it, by all accounts. For example, Portland, Washington Crossfire, and other PDL teams).

Sounds like they used a ridiculous amount of first teamers. I wonder if that's how they are approaching the regular season as well in a push to win the PDL this year?

An interesting strategy if that's what they're doing.

I think they just wanted to give some of the guys a run, especially considering guys like Steele are not in 90 minute shape yet.

Something is up with the residency squad but I have not been able to get an answer. They have only announced one signing this year (the African striker who played in Mexico last year). A lot of the players that played at Dallas Cup were just fill in players and not actually part of the program. I don't think they even have enough Residency kids around to fill out an entire PDL lineup. I wish we would get some clarity on this.

Archived