Roberto Brown supended by the Impact

Alberto7

No surpise here. He deserves it.

http://tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=320010

MONTREAL -- The Montreal Impact have suspended forward Roberto Brown indefinitely after he punched an opposing player in the face during Wednesday's Nutrilite Championship game against Toronto FC.

Brown was ejected from the game in the 35th minute after hitting Toronto FC defender Nick Garcia in the face. Garcia was helped to the dressing room, with the team later saying he would be fine.

Toronto earned a 2-0 win in the game, which featured several confrontations between the teams that resulted in four yellow cards and Brown's eventual dismissal.

"Roberto is an intense athlete, an excellent person and an important player on our roster, but his gesture is unacceptable," Impact head coach Marc Dos Santos said in a statement. "Roberto let his teammates down during the game Wednesday."

Technical director Nick De Santis suggested Brown has had problems maintaining his composure in the past.

"From a club perspective, his gesture is not tolerated and it stands far from our sportsmanship values," De Santis said in a statement. "I hope he will understand the seriousness of his behaviour because it's not the first time he (has acted) this way."

The Impact will likely determine the length of Brown's suspension after receiving the discipline report from the Canadian Soccer Association.

The 32-year-old Brown scored seven goals in 25 games last season, and was named most valuable player of the final series against the Vancouver Whitecaps as the Impact won its third league title.

He is scoreless in two games this season.

I get the feeling that this is the beginning of the end for Roberto B. He took alot of time to consider if he would be back or not for this season, and even contemplated retirement. I hope he decides to stick it out. He was an important part of that 2008 CCL run, and is usually at his best in big game situations.

I'm going to speculate and say this, much like the Sandro Grande situation, is an opportunity for the Impact to dump some salary. I hope I'm wrong, cause I like what he brings to the club, and were already having problems scoring.

maybe some justice....seeing as though they treated Grande like crap last year....hopefully, they stand by their principles and take a hard stand vs a player that has done this sort of action many times in his stay in montreal....it is maybe the 5 or 6th time he has been red carded for a reaction of this sort....well done impact, because more than anything, his teammates needed him on the field during those tough moments of the game....wonder how long they will keep him out for?????

For those who missed it, the assault in question can be viewed here:

Brown's stance is too square and he's off balance when punching, but overall a decent go at flushing his career down the toilet.

For those who missed it, the assault in question can be viewed here:

Brown's stance is too square and he's off balance when punching, but overall a decent go at flushing his career down the toilet.

No kiding. I mean come on. A good 50% of your punching power comes from your trunk strength. You'll never get anywhere near your potential if you don't roll into it.

Garcia did make a meal of it and then some. As a centre half I'm sure he's delivered and received elbows way, way worse than the Lady Tap he got from Brown on more than one occasion over the length of his career and didn't miss a step in the process.

Not justifying Brown's actions, he's getting what he deserves so far as I'm concerned, just saying Garcia hammed things up for effect is all.

No kiding. I mean come on. A good 50% of your punching power comes from your trunk strength. You'll never get anywhere near your potential if you don't roll into it.

Garcia did make a meal of it and then some. As a centre half I'm sure he's delivered and received elbows way, way worse than the Lady Tap he got from Brown on more than one occasion over the length of his career and didn't miss a step in the process.

Not justifying Brown's actions, he's getting what he deserves so far as I'm concerned, just saying Garcia hammed things up for effect is all.

Well he didn't travel with the team this past wekend to Salt Lake due to "concussion-like symptoms", so I'm not sure how much of a meal he made of it.

Well he didn't travel with the team this past wekend to Salt Lake due to "concussion-like symptoms", so I'm not sure how much of a meal he made of it.

If he got concussion like symptoms from those punches, he is not fit to be playing sports. Yes Brown punched him so noone can really complain about the red but Garcia milked it too. I suspect him not making the trip had a lot to do with the fact he is the worst player on the team and won't be missed. It never hurts to make the refs look good in such a competition by showing they made the right decision and if it takes leaving your most useless player at home to do so then why not?

You guys are funny. Brown punches Garcia in the face, and you are complaining the he may have 'milked it'. Of course he milked it - he just got punched in the face. I mean c'mon, we follow a sport where players regularly act like their ankle has been shattered in about 15 places, then pop up and sprint the length of the field when they don't get a free kick. In this case a guy got blatantly punched Garcia in the face and you are surprised that he went down. Seriously?

^ And those clowns get called out all the time. Not going to give Garcia a break because there are other liars and Drama Queens infecting the sport.

If he got a surprise smack in the face and dropped to get over the shock fine, but the man could have had a cast set on both legs with the amount of time he spent down.

I think a lot of people who follow TFC are of the opinion Garcia had been suffering from concussion like symptoms long before Wednesday's kick-off. A long, long time before Wednesday's kick-off.

That was my initial reaction, too, as he stumbled a bit before going down, but upon further review it does look like Brown caught him squarely in the face with a solid jab. Plus his expression at 0:21 certainly looks like someone concussed.

I think a lot of people who follow TFC are of the opinion Garcia had been suffering from concussion like symptoms long before Wednesday's kick-off. A long, long time before Wednesday's kick-off.

Too funny :) You mean like every game he played in. I think RB did TFC a favour.

My understanding is that Preki thought Garcia looked stunned and that he had no idea where he was on the pitch, but actually that was just normal for him.

Word on the street is that TFC have placed Nick Garcia on Injured Reserve for the remainder of the season. Apparently after he was punched by Brown he fell akwardly and ruptured his vaginal wall.

Obviously that is a joke but I wonder if they could put him on Injured Reserve for the rest of the season. Not familiar with MLS rules in this regard but how would that affect the salary cap? A concussion is one of those injuries that is pretty hard to diagnose, ie. if the player says he is dizzy who can say otherwise. Might be a way for TFC to effectively cut Garcia from their roster while he makes more money (probably covered by insurance) than he would if he signed a Gerba style release.

^ And those clowns get called out all the time. Not going to give Garcia a break because there are other liars and Drama Queens infecting the sport.

If he got a surprise smack in the face and dropped to get over the shock fine, but the man could have had a cast set on both legs with the amount of time he spent down.

You may be right about Garcia having some head problems before hand it seems every ball he has had to head he only puts it 3-4 yards in front of him. Maybe he is timid on headers because of his concussion problems.

Garcia would have to be complicit in the matter. I'm not sure what his pride is like, but he might be deeply offended if the club asked him to feign injury - especially by two former teammates.

Yes but he would receive his full salary as opposed to a reduced amount that he would get with a buyout. Plus it would not necessarily have to be spoken about between him and the club. If it was convenient for both parties he might just say he is injured and they may not try to hard to ensure he really is or to heal him.

^ This seasons salary is guaranteed, any buyout would have to be for the full amount.

Either way, i can't see his drinking buddies Mo and Preki cutting him. I mentioned in another thread that Garcia strikes me as a future management type, i don't think either of them would want to jeopardize their relationship with a potential future boss or networking contact.

Buyouts tend to be less than the full amount regardless of the circumstances. Yes he could sit out his contract for the full amount but that also allows the club to restrict what he can do as far as future jobs are concerned as well as pissing off both TFC and MLS. Yes the club has less leverage with him than with a younger guy like Gerba who wants to get his career going again but nevertheless there are a number of reasons why having Garcia on injured reserve might be the best solution for both him and TFC. Nevertheless, pure speculation at this point but it is hard to see him getting any sort of serious injury from those baby punches. As I said earlier, if he can get injured from those punches he is not healthy enough to be playing soccer at all let alone professional soccer.

I guess if he was looking to continue his career he might agree to a reduced figure, but the way he's playing i can't see him being wanted anywhere. He'll probably hang them up after this season is over, atleast for his sake (and ours) i hope he hangs them up.

Archived