Inside the MLS: Will Johnson

powerof11

Love this guy one of my favourite CMNT players, him and Simpson have thoroughly impressed me to no ends.

I've always thought that TFC should trade Cronin for Johnson. I think it works for both clubs. Cronin is good, but he's naturally central guy while Johnson has thus been accustomed to playing the wide spots. The Domestic status of each for both the clubs would be appealing as well. Cronin is solid and will probably end up on the USMNT radar in the near future. while Johnson has already solidified him self with the CMNT as it would seem at least with Hart in charge. I don't was always a proposal that I think could have some legs to it if it was ever seriously discussed between the clubs.

Love this guy one of my favourite CMNT players, him and Simpson have thoroughly impressed me to no ends.

I've always thought that TFC should trade Cronin for Johnson. I think it works for both clubs. Cronin is good, but he's naturally central guy while Johnson has thus been accustomed to playing the wide spots. The Domestic status of each for both the clubs would be appealing as well. Cronin is solid and will probably end up on the USMNT radar in the near future. while Johnson has already solidified him self with the CMNT as it would seem at least with Hart in charge. I don't was always a proposal that I think could have some legs to it if it was ever seriously discussed between the clubs.

That would be the steal of the decade if someone at RSL approved it. You really aren't suggesting that you could pry Johnson away for Cronin??? Pleeze.

That would be the steal of the decade if someone at RSL approved it. You really aren't suggesting that you could pry Johnson away for Cronin??? Pleeze.

Why not? It's not as farfetched as you may think.

Steal of the decade not really at all. Cronin is no slouch and RSL would be able to put him to good use. As for Johnson I don't think RSL wants to move him, but they could without any dire consequences. Johnson is a great player, but is replacable by RSL. Just as Cronin can fill a big role for us, but I believe we could replace him without too much trouble.

Players like Saborio and Espindola can cover for the loss of Johnson, as Cronin could be a potential successor to Beckerman as Holding Midfielder in Salt Lake. I'm not saying Cronin would go for Johnson straight up either, more so that those would be the signicant pieces moving either way. Allocation money, Draft picks, DP spots and so on could be attached as well.

I like a lot of things about Johnson: good positioning and tactical awareness, good technical skills, an eye and a willingness for the quick first time pass, and work rate. Based on what I saw of him during last year's run he appeared well suited for RSL's style of play, where a lot of times he seemed to shift from the left of midfield back into the holding role whenever Beckerman moved into a more forward position. Playing that flank role on the right with the NT he had some solid efforts but I was hoping he'd be more of a 1 v 1 threat that Simpson was on the left during the GC. Regardless, I am pleased he has emerged more prominently in our player pool, being one more viable option competing for a starting spot, either on the right in a more advanced role or as one of the three more central mids in the formation we currently play. I'm looking forward to watching him play this weekend.

Even considering the lack of form of last night's opponent, Johnson had a really lively game out there and I was really impressed. I like how he pops up in all the areas of midfield: started the match as a deeper co-holding mid with Beckerman but was given the license to drift wide left and then wide right as the match wore on. Really combines nicely with Beckerman and I actually thought he played a bit better. Was quick into the challenges and provided quality cover to his fullback: one play in the first half was pretty laughable when Nane tried to shield the ball from the fullback at the halfway line and Johnson came in and nonchalantly "yoinked" it off him. Had some decent corner kick service and a nice poke at goal off a free kick, to boot.

What I really like about him is he's looking to keep the passing movement going with quick distribution switching from one flank to the other. Because of this, I wouldn't mind seeing him in the Nash/Grande distributor hub role in front of the back four. I think Johnson has the skillset and football IQ for the job. It would be worthwhile to see how he does in that spot.

Even considering the lack of form of last night's opponent, Johnson had a really lively game out there and I was really impressed. I like how he pops up in all the areas of midfield: started the match as a deeper co-holding mid with Beckerman but was given the license to drift wide left and then wide right as the match wore on. Really combines nicely with Beckerman and I actually thought he played a bit better. Was quick into the challenges and provided quality cover to his fullback: one play in the first half was pretty laughable when Nane tried to shield the ball from the fullback at the halfway line and Johnson came in and nonchalantly "yoinked" it off him. Had some decent corner kick service and a nice poke at goal off a free kick, to boot.

What I really like about him is he's looking to keep the passing movement going with quick distribution switching from one flank to the other. Because of this, I wouldn't mind seeing him in the Nash/Grande distributor hub role in front of the back four. I think Johnson has the skillset and football IQ for the job. It would be worthwhile to see how he does in that spot.

Yeah, he could probably play that role, yet I don't think it's utilizing him to his potential. He has all that pace and a great cross. His ability to overlap into the middle is a plus from a wide spot, Guevara like with less flash. I think the CMNT (which I think is where you are speaking of using him in that role) is better off using JDG their, Though if Hoillett makes the commitment with Canada in a few years Johnson may look to slide there to allow Simpson and Hoillett to take over the wings.

Why not? It's not as farfetched as you may think.

Steal of the decade not really at all. Cronin is no slouch and RSL would be able to put him to good use. As for Johnson I don't think RSL wants to move him, but they could without any dire consequences. Johnson is a great player, but is replacable by RSL. Just as Cronin can fill a big role for us, but I believe we could replace him without too much trouble.

Players like Saborio and Espindola can cover for the loss of Johnson, as Cronin could be a potential successor to Beckerman as Holding Midfielder in Salt Lake. I'm not saying Cronin would go for Johnson straight up either, more so that those would be the signicant pieces moving either way. Allocation money, Draft picks, DP spots and so on could be attached as well.

It is far-fetched. Cronin was a decent NCAA player, hardly making an impact at the MLS level. Johnson is an international. They don't have a moron like MoJo running the show at RSL.

Funny you mention Beckerman; he was available to MoJo at entry draft time. MoJo didn't pick him.

Yeah, he could probably play that role, yet I don't think it's utilizing him to his potential. He has all that pace and a great cross. His ability to overlap into the middle is a plus from a wide spot, Guevara like with less flash. I think the CMNT (which I think is where you are speaking of using him in that role) is better off using JDG their, Though if Hoillett makes the commitment with Canada in a few years Johnson may look to slide there to allow Simpson and Hoillett to take over the wings.

Ideally, I would like a more willing 1 v 1 attacker in that right wing/forward position, like what Simpson (or DeRo) can give you on the left. I didn't see that from him vs Honduras during last year's GC: perhaps that was a one off, I don't know, but what I do see of him with RSL is a quality support midfield player who jumps into the attack when the opportunity arises, but not a focal point of attacks in the final third of the pitch.

A quality guy, indeed, but I think his potential is best utilized in the midfield engine room.

Ideally, I would like a more willing 1 v 1 attacker in that right wing/forward position, like what Simpson (or DeRo) can give you on the left. I didn't see that from him vs Honduras during last year's GC: perhaps that was a one off, I don't know, but what I do see of him with RSL is a quality support midfield player who jumps into the attack when the opportunity arises, but not a focal point of attacks in the final third of the pitch.

A quality guy, indeed, but I think his potential is best utilized in the midfield engine room.

I don't know if Johnson is technically skilled enough to play in the engine room I'd prefer to see him play on the wing I think that is where his skills are best used. He is a bulldog type player like Iain Hume and I think the best place to put him is on his off wing (left wing) because he has an absolute cannon of a right leg with his energetic play playing on the wing suits him because of his pace and also he covers A TON of the pitch and we need that with our 4-5-1/4-3-3 when he needs to track back to play the midfield. The only dilemma of course is he might not be able to take that left spot because of Josh Simpson, I thought he was ok during the GC on the right he played well in the first two games especially versus El Salvador and sure he wasn't in the same form versus Honduras he missed a sitter and never really looked confident after that... I would start him on the right in SA and see how it goes

I agree. I would like to see Johnson in the middle working with JDG, pushing Hutch further forward.

I agree. I would like to see Johnson in the middle working with JDG, pushing Hutch further forward.

Yeah, after thinking about it for awhile, something like this may really have some success for Canada in the future.

---------------Hirschfeld/Wagenaar

Nana/Hainault-Jakovic-Mckenna/Edgar-Kulkowski/DeJong

-------Johnson--DeGuzman

Hoillett-----------------------Simpson

-------------Hutchinson/Jackson

-----------------DeRo/Freind

Maybe something with a combination of the squad I got their could get the past the Hex.

^ Nope, disagree. Need a ball winner in front of the back four.

Johnson and De Guzman are great ball winners, quick and cover a ton of ground I really like that squad kotton posted you've gotta like the look of the 2012 WCQ squad already. And who knows who else is gonna step up, that squad doesn't even include Straith in 2 years who knows how good he'll be. Depth just gets better and better

^ Or maybe Edgar. Honestly, I don't think we have that player yet. Jakovic or Edgar are the best possibilities. A younger, healthier version of Serioux is what we need. Perhaps Ethan Gage in the future?

Archived