NCC Game Day 1 Toronto FC vs. Montreal Impact

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't believe how nerve racking it is being an Impact fan! Maybe Brown shouldn't have had a red, but it was a major lack of discipline anyways.

He punched him in the face. I think its pretty clear that it was a well deserved Red. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if hte CSA considered further sanctions...

...even if the target was Nick Garcia :P

Was your picture quality as bad as mine?

It was hard to tell the players apart, and the picture was terrible.

The actual video quality was a bit iffy. I was wondering if they broadcast in regular def and stretched the screen to fit 16:9 at times because the lower graphics looked stretched, but the scoreboard graphic up top was normal, while the picture itself seemed a bit off for HD.

And yeah, the grey/pink wasn't the smartest.

I'd say there were about 20,000 people at the game last night, although about 8000 of them weren't there for the whole game. Even with an 8pm start people still arrive late, I don't know what it is about Torontonians, but it's a very annoying habit (especially when you have to constantly get up out of your seat to let the late comers walk past you to get into theirs).

Still, on the other side of the coin, on the drive home from the game I put the radio on and was greeted by a comment from the Blue Jays post-game talk show host fielding a call from a fan complaining about the Jays crappy attendance. The talk show host was blaming it partly on TFC (and once again, going head to head against the Jays, TFC had a much higher attendance), suggesting that they have stolen some of the Jays crowd away from them. I am skeptical of this - I don't think there is much in the way of overlap, I think the people who stopped going to Jays games have for the most part just stopped going. But if you had told me anytime in the last 30 years that soccer would be publicly blamed in the media for causing baseball attendance to suck in Toronto, I would have told you that you were full of sour owl poop. How the times have changed.....

Seats are paid for is what they're saying...MLSE announces paid attendance, not actual attendance.

Well, they announce actual attendance actually. They announced 18 000 something for the Seattle game even though it was actually sold out. Judging by how the stadium slowly filled up, that number seems about right.

I'd say there were about 20,000 people at the game last night, although about 8000 of them weren't there for the whole game. Even with an 8pm start people still arrive late, I don't know what it is about Torontonians, but it's a very annoying habit (especially when you have to constantly get up out of your seat to let the late comers walk past you to get into theirs).

Still, on the other side of the coin, on the drive home from the game I put the radio on and was greeted by a comment from the Blue Jays post-game talk show host fielding a call from a fan complaining about the Jays crappy attendance. The talk show host was blaming it partly on TFC (and once again, going head to head against the Jays, TFC had a much higher attendance), suggesting that they have stolen some of the Jays crowd away from them. I am skeptical of this - I don't think there is much in the way of overlap, I think the people who stopped going to Jays games have for the most part just stopped going. But if you had told me anytime in the last 30 years that soccer would be publicly blamed in the media for causing baseball attendance to suck in Toronto, I would have told you that you were full of sour owl poop. How the times have changed.....

Yeah, Soccer stealing baseball fans seems very unlikely. How many Jays fans are walkups? There's not a lot of walkups available for TFC...

Did DeRo inadvertently put a stud through Hardin's leg as he took that goal? Or was it Jordan coming out to block? Man, put him on a stretcher or get that cart out quicker. That was like 10 minutes of down time there.

Garcia went down easier than Linda Lovelace. God I enjoyed that.

As Barret lined up to take a free kick, I was thinking I liked my chances of waking up on the moon the next morning over his of scoring and of course he blew it a mile over the net. Then he actually made a decent play on his goal later in the game.

Jules is finally, after 9 months or so, coming into his own.

when I realized I was kinda confused I checked there too, it's 96 on my tv...but nothing, I checked every channel for like 3 hours...nothing. It's not like I think I should get every tfc game but with 80ish channels I should get the games that are generally being broadcast nationally.

edit: I forgot to quote, I was replying to shawn strat

I missed a lot of the game. How was Gala?

Pretty good, even though he started out as a striker and then wound up at left back, which obviously isn't a usual thing for players to do. Needs to work on his crosses, but he was a lot more confident on the ball and willing to take on players when he had the ball more than most Canadian players tend to be. Very promising for TFC and for Canada.

Gala was brutal over the final 15 - constantly conceding possession needlessly. Not anywhere close to the WC squad in my opinion.

Gala was OK. You can see he has talent but he turned the ball over too many time for my liking. He needs more PT and I think the V's Cup will help him in that regard.

Gala was brutal over the final 15 - constantly conceding possession needlessly. Not anywhere close to the WC squad in my opinion.

The whole team where bad in the last 15 minutes. All of their passes either nowhere, where turned over or where just sprayed around the backline with no decisivness at all. They moved too laterally instead of tryin to move the ball forward and look for a third goal.

That has a lot to do with playing time. His inability to keep possession is something he can improve on with training and development, but his confidence and willingness to be aggressive on defenders and take chances has a lot to do with his personality as a player. He has the potential to be a creative goal scorer.

Maybe I'm bias since I was at the game, but I thought it was a good match. First half firey, a little slow and stop start, but felt like a real derby. The second half had some much better football as Toronto passed the ball really well, and Montreal had a few chances from the counter.

I admittedly only watched about a half of it, flipping back and forth with the Habs, but it looked like it would have been a good contest if Brown hadn't lost his mind. Montreal were even generating the odd chance later on in the game. Just could get into the pink though, that has got to go.

Pretty good, even though he started out as a striker and then wound up at left back, which obviously isn't a usual thing for players to do. Needs to work on his crosses, but he was a lot more confident on the ball and willing to take on players when he had the ball more than most Canadian players tend to be. Very promising for TFC and for Canada.

its probably the nigerian in him :) but yes, this quality stood out for me as well and I was happy to see it, the crossing and stuff will come but if he can get decent minutes this year I would love to see him get called up very positive player he is.

I thaught Leo DiLorenzo was the best player on the pitch yesterday. He beat a defender and crossed a ball right on to the foot of Peter Byers who has an eye for the spectacular, but can't put away sitters. This guy comes to play every game, the same can't be said about some of the other Impact players.

Obviously Toronto Deserved the 3 points, but they can't be happy about managing just one goal against a second division team playing with 10 men.

The pink uniform is a disater, would have preferred them going with the 2004 black kit, or some variation there of.

Why is it, that it's always Toronto and Montreal that open up the Tourney?

Archived