Former TFC coach Chris Cummins spills the beans

Gian-Luca

John Carver's take on things:-

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2010/04/john-carver-interview.html

...."Mo can look like the scapegoat in all of this because he's been there the four years, but sometimes you have to look deeper than that," said Carver, who is now an assistant for English club Plymouth Argyle. "If your team isn't performing, you're going to look for somebody to pin the blame on, and an easy target is Mo and people are jumping on the bandwagon."

Carver left his job as Toronto FC head coach last season for undisclosed reasons, leaving the job to Cummins, his assistant at the time.

"People have their reasons for saying what they say," Carver said. "I can only say from my point of view. At the end of the day, if I'm the coach and I'm in charge of the football team, and I'm not successful, as far as I'm concerned, the buck stops with me....

Hopefully that will draw this particular sideshow to a close and the media focus will now be on what happens on the field at least until the summer transfer window opens.

John Carver's take on things:-

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2010/04/john-carver-interview.html

...."Mo can look like the scapegoat in all of this because he's been there the four years, but sometimes you have to look deeper than that," said Carver, who is now an assistant for English club Plymouth Argyle. "If your team isn't performing, you're going to look for somebody to pin the blame on, and an easy target is Mo and people are jumping on the bandwagon."

Carver left his job as Toronto FC head coach last season for undisclosed reasons, leaving the job to Cummins, his assistant at the time.

"People have their reasons for saying what they say," Carver said. "I can only say from my point of view. At the end of the day, if I'm the coach and I'm in charge of the football team, and I'm not successful, as far as I'm concerned, the buck stops with me....

Hopefully that will draw this particular sideshow to a close and the media focus will now be on what happens on the field at least until the summer transfer window opens.

I'd take that with a grain of salt after Mo came out and threatened legal action... Carver has a job I doubt he wants to get involved and even his comments aren't too supportive of Mo. "At the end of the day, if I'm the coach and I'm in charge of the football team, and I'm not successful, as far as I'm concerned, the buck stops with me...."

As someone born about 100 miles further north than John Carver in much the same era in the mid-60s I can tell you that the old school approach would be that if you have nothing good to say you don't say anything at all. John Carver may have been out of his element as a coach in MLS because his skills set is much better suited to a league played in a cold weather climate but I don't think anyone who watched how he conducted himself with TFC could ever question his honesty. He is the type of guy who means what he says and says what he means.

The only thing notable thing for me about Carver's comments (the vast majority of which don't actually address what happened after he left, which are the root of Cummins & Gerba's recent outbursts, and are therefore mean very little with respect to these issues) is that he was brought in as assistant coach originally and then made head coach as Mo was moved upstairs. I wasn't aware of that before, I had understood that he was brought in to be head coach, not Mo's assistant. Have to guess that was an Anselmi call......

Frankly, I wish all this would go away so we can focus again on supporting the team. I'm sure, somewhere, someone is happy for The Score for any ratings bump it might get. All of the above are just some peoples' opinions. Sour grapes, and the musings of an interim coach who didn't know what he was doing. Time to move on.

Frankly, I wish all this would go away so we can focus again on supporting the team. I'm sure, somewhere, someone is happy for The Score for any ratings bump it might get. All of the above are just some peoples' opinions. Sour grapes, and the musings of an interim coach who didn't know what he was doing. Time to move on.

Seems to be a popular catch phrase from our local corporate puppet, oft repeated by the masses. Unfortunately, that paints the situation as brutally simplistic when it appears to be much more than that. Even wonder why every former staff and players of other teams that went south haven't approached the situation the way TFC alumni have? And why exactly does a manager who has hired two coaches who couldn't cut it, couldn't coach himself, couldn't win on another MLS team, couldn't win here, picked all the payers (who need to be replaced every 12 months judging by our turnover) get a free pass in all this?

Yeah we're all going to get on supporting this team now. You'd have no half-leg to stand on with that one if we didn't win the last two games, which in totality mean nothing compared to the 3 years we wasted under the guidance of someone who made numerous blunders. The man who engineered one of the worst runs of play over three seasons of any MLS club in history is still calling the shots, and that's something most of us won't be forgetting any time soon.

The man who engineered one of the worst runs of play over three seasons of any MLS club in history is still calling the shots, and that's something most of us won't be forgetting any time soon.

Not arguing with you on that or your other points, ag futbol. Having paid for my tickets, I'm trying to enjoy the season without the other distractions. The danger is we end up with a pale imitation of the Manchester United silliness with their green and yellow scarves, obsessing about management and ownership instead of backing the guys on the field.

You'd have no half-leg to stand on with that one if we didn't win the last two games,....

You almost sound disappointed that the team won those games. People sometimes get so wrapped up with their crusades against management on fan group forums that they lose sight of the fact that the team winning is what it's supposed to be all about not their ongoing messageboard soap opera. The new coach and the team he (and it's obvious it was Preki not Mo who made the key decisions) assembled over the last six months since the 5-0 debacle in New York deserve the backing of the supporters without constant distractions harking back to issues many/most of them had no involvement in.

You almost sound disappointed that the team won those games. People sometimes get so wrapped up with their crusades against management on fan group forums that they lose sight of the fact that the team winning is what it's supposed to be all about not their ongoing messageboard soap opera. The new coach and the team he (and it's obvious it was Preki not Mo who made the key decisions) assembled over the last six months since the 5-0 debacle in New York deserve the backing of the supporters without constant distractions harking back to issues many/most of them had no involvement in.

The reason people care is because the man who seems to be at the centre of so many of the dysfunctional stories emerging from TFC is still employed as their GM. If you want the fans to just shut up and support the team, then you are looking for a crowd that is no different than the Leaf's fans that sold out the Gardens game after game in the 1980's.

Mo and MLSE are doing exactly what sports fans in Toronto expect.... Finding excuses and ways not to win. TFC are quickly becoming just a summer version of the Maple Leafs.... It is a joke at how successful or at least competitive Seattle is (as a recent expansion team) compared to TFC. TFC has lost their chance to gain a leading role in Canadian soccer fans hearts. Within the next few years, montreal and vancouver will become the dominant Canadian soccer brands and TFC will just be the Maple Leafs, on every weekend on CBC losing games.

Archived