TFC vs. Houston - Thursday, July 1st

Tuscan

I know it's a bit early to have this game up, but it's the Canada Day match, and features quite a number of Canadians who will take the pitch. DeRo, JDG, Nana, Cann, Hainault, Onstad, et al.

Also, it's a plug to see if anyone would be willing to put my brother and I up for two nights, Wednesday and Thursday, as we're flying out there to see this one.

Prediction

TFC will get yet another win at home, it'll keep them in third in the East and will raise hopes of a playoff place for the end of the season. DeRo will score the only goal of the game, which will bring his season tally up to an even 10. Both Onstad and Frei will play out of their skin, with only DeRo's header getting past the ageless Onstad.

Thursday night's gonna be a crazy party!:D

• 2 months later...

Time to revive this I suppose. So yeah, my bro and I are still coming out for this one, so hopefully we'll get to meet up with a bunch of you guys in the pub pre and post match. Sure hope the weather cooperates, cuz we aren't packing any rain gear...

Oh, and we don't need anywhere to stay those two nights, but I am sticking around Saturday night so if someone has a nice comfy floor they could offer...

Actually I think Maro is our main destination. We're planning on meeting up with Bill Spiers and then all of you guys in U-Sector if you'll have us. I'll be wearing my red Voyageurs tshirt, not sure what my brother will wear. Really can't wait for tomorrow, I hope they have something extra planned seeing as how it's Canada Day.

If anyone's up for meeting up tomorrow, gimme a call at (306) 370 7930. Actually, even though it's 1am here, it's only 11pm in Saskatoon, so we're still up for a few drinks tonight. Regardless, see you guys tomorrow! :D

God is Garcia bad! Bad passes and gets beaten cleanly for the goal. Lucky for TFC the linesman was visually challenged and called it offside when it clearly was 5 feet onside. The yellow card could have been a red with a different ref. How long will they waste a spot? Oh yea the rest of the year it looks like.

Onstad is too cool for words. What can I say. The Geritol man rocks.

Almost had a fight break out there. I thought Nana would get red but JDG got it for being 3rd man in I guess. Brings back memories of Caps and Cosmos games from years ago :)

Well if that game doesn't illustrate that too many players have too little gray matter between the ears I don't know what does, even the ones making relatively big money. Dumb behaviour if ever I saw it. And as for Chad Barrett, I don't know what the league is paying him but whatever it is he sure is not worth it. I wouldn't have him on a second division team never mind MLS.

But Richard, Barrett is great at running in circles!

Terrible game, at some point this team needs some more skill to compensate for the misplaced effort. Wrote this in the rpb game threat, but i'll dare to repeat it. Know a lot of people who would take the piss about there being a few guys in the CSL who are better players than some on TFC's roster... the more i see play like this, the more i wonder.

Ching scores with a header off a corner. 1-0 Houston. F*&@!

I guess Cann must have been marking one of the Houston CBs. Ching simply outmuscled Sanyang on the goal.

Way to go Gargan! Even if he didn't score he was my MOTM. Played really well with his defensive responsibilities

It was a great match to have seen live. The header by Gargan was excellent, and aside from the ridiculousness of the JDG red card, it was quite evenly matched. When will TFC learn that White offers NOTHING on the attack. He did NOTHING, contributed NOTHING, and christ, if he chooses Canada as his national side, we'll be the ones loosing out.

See everyone tomorrow morning for the World Cup games. Somewhere on King St. if I remember correctly (had quite a bit to drink at the game...)

Oh and Mike, and yes you know which Mike you are, ****ING POST!

I guess Cann must have been marking one of the Houston CBs. Ching simply outmuscled Sanyang on the goal.

Way to go Gargan! Even if he didn't score he was my MOTM. Played really well with his defensive responsibilities

Gargan is an absolute bargain, so glad we picked him up.

Haha no actually, I'm talking about the Mike we met on Yonge who rarely posts, but is supposed to be looking on the board for that message. Can't remember all the letters in his handle, something like hbsomethingsomethingMike. He'll know.

God is Garcia bad! Bad passes and gets beaten cleanly for the goal. Lucky for TFC the linesman was visually challenged and called it offside when it clearly was 5 feet onside. The yellow card could have been a red with a different ref. How long will they waste a spot? Oh yea the rest of the year it looks like.

Totally and completely unfair.

Watch the highlight during the "Game in Six"on the TFC site carefully: first Sanyang gets wrong footed and lets Boswell have complete freedom in midfield, and then Cann and Attakora both step forward towards the ball leaving a gaping hole in the middle of TFC's defense behind them. Mullin is actually Cann's man - Garcia is marking Houstan's right mid - and Garcia is left with the hopeless task of racing back to try and get goalside of him with no cover from the interior of the defence. Short of having Marvell Wynne speed there's no way ANY defender gets back in time. The fact that he put the effort in but can't quite get there is what makes it look like he's at fault if you fail to watch the build up to the pass.

Garcia, for all his problems, has been relatively decent at LB since being reintroduced there. I'd take him ahead of Hscanovics any day.

Cheers Tuscan!

That was such a random V's meet-up; hope you keep enjoying your visit.

(And now that we've met I'm sure you'll take greater notice of my occasional musings!)

Oddly enough, you were both at Maro before the match.

Archived