Montreal Impact vs Portland Timbers 04-25-2010 Home Opener (R)

Mr.Impact

The wait is finally over, It's Game Day !!! Looks like ideal conditions, perfect weather for the 2:00 PM start. Game will be shown live on SRC (French CBC)

Here is my starting 11

Jordan

Braz

Pizzolitto

Joqueviel

DeRoux

Billy

Testo

Soares

DiLorenzo

Brown

Byers

Would like to see Reda Agourram get some playing time. He's earned it by scoring in almost every game he's played in pre season.

I know Testo is back from injury but are Pizzolitto and Soares? If not I'd guess we'll see Pesoli and Hemming in thier places.

Pizzolitto and Soares practiced with the team and should be in the starting line up. Martin Smith of Rue Frontenac is reporting that both Brown and Joqueviel will be benched to be replaced by Hicham Aaboubou and REDA AGOURRAM ! Smith believes that the changes are being made by Dos Santos in an effort to manage is bench for the Important match in Toronto on the 28th.

Pesoli is injured (again) and Placentino, Donatelli and Hemming will be available as subs.

Here is Smith's starting 11

Matt Jordan

Adam Braz, Nevio Pizzolitto, Hicham Aaboubou, Stephen De Roux

Philippe Billy, David Testo, Filipe Soares, Leonardo Di Lorenzo

Peter Byers, Reda Agourram

http://ruefrontenac.com/sports/impact/21497-advance-impact

I just got in and started watching, it's about the 20th minute in, no goals, the crowd looks pretty good, probably near or a sell out (I could spot a couple seats empty (probably just grabbing snacks or something but the camera's kinda low) however it does look like a sell out), the bald guy on the right (who looks a little like a more athletic grande, don't know who he was though) had a nice little move and then byers had a good run and was hacked down just outside the box, nothing happened on the free kick though. I'll give a few updates if I dont get distracted.

Great chance in the 27th, the new pony tailed guy (ie not riberio, did di lorenzo grow a pony tail?) made a very incisive pass which set one of the strikerers on his way (I don't think it was byers) but his shot was barely blocked on a last ditch slide, nothing off the corner.

edit: Braz got elbowed in the air by josten, who after braz screamed in his face, shoved Braz right in front of the ref, but no call? and yeah, pony tail is di lorenzo I think

Montreal had a good 10 seconds in portland's box but nothing came of it around the 37th, then a guy on portland went down pretty hard, I think he's okay, F. Pastel (or filipe soares?) who was the bald dude got tripped up in a collision but then held his head for the next two minutes, it looked like embelleshment on the replay and he was given a yellow.

First half(after the 20th minute). Montreal played pretty well, they didn't seem terribly talented except for a few brief flashes, however they seem very composed and fairly professional. towards the end DeRoux beat his man pretty well but it was in montreal's end so .... Di lorenzo seemed to be pretty creative but his touch seemed a little off (hopefully just needs more match fitness.)

edit: and gervais is commentating it seems, I don't speak french so I can't help much more but is he injured, retired or let go with nowhere to go?

Not sure I agree with the Soares yellow card though.

I thought it was a good call, on the replay the collision was around his legs, and then it didn't look like he hit his head on the ground paticularly hard, but who knows.

good chance for portland, they got away with a roughish tackle, Braz recklessly went back with a missing slide tackle and left them with numbers, the knocked it out for a corner, corner was poorly cleared, and resulted in another corner, great header but di lorenzo heads it off the line.

and Deroux may not be completely successful but he is really attacking with some confidence and gusto.

and in the 52nd, byers was advancing with numbers, beat his man deep but the shot looked halfway between a cross and shot just missing the net and targets as he was near the goal line. the flashes of brillance seem more common now too so maybe it wasn't a lack of talent, just jitters.

60th, billy our, donatelli in.

Portland's looking pretty good too, creating opportunities, so is Montreal but the last 5 minutes they seem both a little to enthusiastic and a little tired.

EDIT: WTF, k bad tackle for montreal, don't know who but not braz, and maybe he was talking **** but the guy from portland shoves him from behind in front of everyone, braz was okay but then braz and this guy (pore) both get a yellow? even if it's silly, isn't pushing someone out of play usually a red? they did it twice and got 1 yellow and somehow we got one too.

DAMNIT, portland scores a fairly bumbling goal that pore (same douche) still finished pretty well, jordan got a peice but not enough

67th, agourram out, Brown in

Braz gets yanked down from behind, no card, he's clearly saying the f word alot so all I can think of is he might have really pissed off the refs

Montreal is playing a little more desperately and quite a bit better then the 20 minutes before the last 5 (it's the 75th). Placentino's on the field, either I missed a sub or he's been a little quite, free kick, then corner, nothing, great cross, great headed down pass, nothing, the ball seemed to trickle by the impact attackers.

good but fairly offside attack from portland in the 78th minute

PENALTY, in all honesty it probably shouldn't have been, brown fell a little light and another guy went running over a clean tackle, but I'll take it.

GOALLLLLL, pizzolitto, came out a little slow but cronin jumped the wrong way so it was fine, 1-1.

btw, how do yell goal in quebec? I'm guessing 'but' as in butuer(sp?) or tare (but I think that's german)

it's gotten very competetive, hard tackles, lotta pressure, inevitable gaps. Braz is showing good stamina in that he's doing better in the final 5 minutes of regular time, sent a good ball into the box and made a hard fairly clean tackle that was called but no card.

Final 1-1, a fairly just result, portland seemed like the better team at time (not by much though) but failed to capitalize on what seemed to be favourable calls to them. Montreal looks like they have work to do but all and all, not too bad a performance, mostly because they contributed decently all game long I'd say Braz and DeRoux played the best for Montreal, if there attacking options were more consistant they probably would have had this game.

and sorry for posting like 10 straight posts for this, shutting up now.

one more thing, I just saw on replay, when braz got shoved from behind, he had just booted the ball into pore's face ( who was on the ground) so that makes more sense now

I thought the calls evened out overall, but I thought the PK was absolutely ridiculous as there appeared to be no contact, just a flop straight to the ground.

But I'm glad we get out of there without a major injury like we suffered the last two years and don't have to go back this year unless it's in the playoffs.

I thought the calls evened out overall, but I thought the PK was absolutely ridiculous as there appeared to be no contact, just a flop straight to the ground.

But I'm glad we get out of there without a major injury like we suffered the last two years and don't have to go back this year unless it's in the playoffs.

your probably right, half way through I felt like we were getting screwed but our goal probably evened that up.

Of course that makes the open net we missed even more disappointing, but you guys were by far the best team we've seen this year, and along with Vancouver and Puerto Rico, expect to see in the final four of the playoffs this year. I don't think any of the rest of the league is even close except maybe Austin.

1-1 was a fair result even if Montreal got lucky with that Penalty call. I thaught Portland played the perfect road game, got chances off counters and set plays. This is a big team, and some of their back line dwarfed some of the Impact players. The game was a bit chippy at times, with both teams picking up 4 yellows a piece. This was Portlands 4th game compared to Montreal's 2nd, and it showed. Portland was more cohesive as a whole. It was perfect weather for a game, the stands were full (Sell out) The UM02 was in fine form. Portland also had a small contingent of travelling support.

Ratings

Jordan: 7 Did not have much work. Got a hand on the Portland goal, and made the saves when he had to.

Braz: 7 Probably the most hated player in the League, but a guy you would want on your team. He's at his best when he's challanged with physical play. Thaught he did well to move up the right flank on occasion. Could be faulted in part for the goal they gave up.

Pizzolitto: 8 was named man of the match as the skipper took care of converting the penalty. Kept things simple and tidy in his end. Wish he would cut down on the long balls.

Aaboubou: 7 (love the name) Did his job no more, no less. Excellent guy to have around as a filler. Seems like he doen't cover the same amount as territory as normal starters.

DeRoux: 7 Came alive as the game went along. Seemed more concentrated on his deffensive duties, which his normal considering the opposition. Portland will make you pay if you take to many risks. None the less remains an important factor in Montreal's offensive shceme.

DiLo: 7 (hate the pony tail and the switch to no.11) was a little off today, but still showed flashes of brilliance. The little General has to be better on Wednesday in TO.

Pastel Soares: 7 (seems like he prefers to be called pastel. His father was a baker of the tasty Portuguese tart (yes Im talking about the dessert) This guy impressed me, and Juby made the comparison to Grande, and I agree in the sense that he has amazing vision, and he's the no 10 type player we've been missing.

Testo: 6 Poor tackle on Pore that led to the goal. Last years MVP didn't look to be 100%. This is normally his type of a game. Once again give credit to Portland's sold mids.

Billy: 5 Wow I know its been a couple of games, but this guy showed absolutely nothing. I prefer Donatelli for the moment. Its going to take time for Billy to get use to the physical play of this league.

Agourram: 6 Did not look out of place, but still has alot of strength and conditioning work to do in order to be successful at this level.

Byers: 6 His first touch let him down a few times, but also showed his incredible pace and strength when he was chopped town just out side the box. Should have been a clear red. Also missed Agourram wide open preffering to take a shot from a bad angle.

Archived