Rogers Sportsnet announces broadcast schedule

Second round NHL playoff schedule is now out and it's more bad news for Canadian soccer. Next week's 'Caps-Impact match is going with the Canucks' at home to Chicago for game 3 of their series. The following week's return match between Impact and TFC could possibly go head to head with the Habs-Pens game 7 in Pittsburgh, if the series goes that long. The NCC can't seem to catch a break this year.

Ah I don't sweat it. I'll be at the games as should everybody who can get there. Make it look better for tele for the few who tune in. The timing, while unfortunate, seems unavoidable.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm quite disappointed in Sportsnet's production of the NCC this year. There were no tape-delayed broadcasts, there were local blackouts for games, and overall production quality was poor for all games. For example, tonight's game was only broadcast on SN West and East and not on Pacific or Ontario where it would've mattered most to the Whitecaps, TFC, and the CSA. Surely, they could also find someone better than Gerry Dobson to call the games, I find that he's often mispronouncing names or calling players by the wrong names.

IMO, the NCC should be broadcast in the regions where the interest in the tournament and the game is the highest. Instead, SN broadcast the games in regions where there is marginal interest in the outcome of games. Correct me if I'm wrong but I highly doubt that there is much viewer interest from people in Regina or Winnipeg in a game between the Whitecaps, Impact or Toronto. Though I appreciate the live stream, that simply isn't enough to promote the tournament outside of the established soccer community. These early years are crucial to building not only the tournament but interest in the sport of soccer in Canada. The NCC should be broadcast to the communities involved first and after a solid viewership is developed in those markets, expand into more peripheral areas. They should also be replaying or broadcasting tape-delayed games in the appropriate regions later in the evening instead of replaying SN Connected for 8 hours, showing Poker after Dark or some other BS programming.

I really think the CSA should reconsider their relationship with SN with respect to the NCC as SN's priorities lie with the Blue Jays which aren't compatible with the needs of the CSA in promoting the game across the country. The NCC, the clubs, the CSA, and Canadian soccer deserve better.

I'm quite disappointed in Sportsnet's production of the NCC this year. There were no tape-delayed broadcasts, there were local blackouts for games, and overall production quality was poor for all games. For example, tonight's game was only broadcast on SN West and East and not on Pacific or Ontario where it would've mattered most to the Whitecaps, TFC, and the CSA. Surely, they could also find someone better than Gerry Dobson to call the games, I find that he's often mispronouncing names or calling players by the wrong names.

IMO, the NCC should be broadcast in the regions where the interest in the tournament and the game is the highest. Instead, SN broadcast the games in regions where there is marginal interest in the outcome of games. Correct me if I'm wrong but I highly doubt that there is much viewer interest from people in Regina or Winnipeg in a game between the Whitecaps, Impact or Toronto. Though I appreciate the live stream, that simply isn't enough to promote the tournament outside of the established soccer community. These early years are crucial to building not only the tournament but interest in the sport of soccer in Canada. The NCC should be broadcast to the communities involved first and after a solid viewership is developed in those markets, expand into more peripheral areas. They should also be replaying or broadcasting tape-delayed games in the appropriate regions later in the evening instead of replaying SN Connected for 8 hours, showing Poker after Dark or some other BS programming.

I really think the CSA should reconsider their relationship with SN with respect to the NCC as SN's priorities lie with the Blue Jays which aren't compatible with the needs of the CSA in promoting the game across the country. The NCC, the clubs, the CSA, and Canadian soccer deserve better.

There's better things than money, and the CSA don't know that fact. Sure they got more money than CBC, but got a much ****tier product.

I'm making video's and I keep noticing the odd moments of missing the action and poor timing for replays. especially as the tournament progressed. At this point I wish the src (would the cbc automatically have rights too then?) would grab it, at least everyone could see it and they do a pretty good job.

It probably would have helped had they broadcast the game in one of the regions where the teams were from. And if they'd advertised it. Like, ever.

That's for sure. Granted this was a pointless game and not particularly exciting, but I almost get the impression that Sportsnet is TRYING to make it difficult for people to watch these games. I preferred it when V-Cup games were broadcasted on CBC, even when the games were shunted off to Bold.

• 1 month later...
Somewhat OT, but am I missing something? My Rogers page (Richmond Hill) won't show Gol as an option to sign up for.
Should be there ... they sell it individually for about $2.70 a month. Call them up.

Though the first game will also air on Rogers Channel 501 in High Definition ... no subscription necessary ... if you have a HD cable box.

Though GOL TV Canada is also airing the Galaxy and Sounders Champions League games ... and also the MLS All-Star game, this week.

High-Def! From TFC's email:

The match will be broadcast live on GOLTV Canada in high definition at 8:00 p.m. ET. If you have GOLTV in HD on Rogers (channel 501) or Bell (channel 1412), you will be able to watch the match on freeview. You can catch the match in SD on Rogers 428, Bell 404 and Cogeco 122.

I've learned not to trust Rogers' website. I called and ordered Gol. I watched the Espn GOTW as a first show (Landon is dreamy;)J/k). I hadn't checked 501 though. [EDIT: my 501 is the HD Preview channel, I don't seem to have Gol in HD? Rogers in RH has a slightly different lineup from TO][edit 2: Nevermind, TO's lineup also does not show Gol in HD?]

Any idea if Bolton is being rebroadcast?

I've learned not to trust Rogers' website. I called and ordered Gol. I watched the Espn GOTW as a first show (Landon is dreamy;)J/k). I hadn't checked 501 though. [EDIT: my 501 is the HD Preview channel, I don't seem to have Gol in HD? Rogers in RH has a slightly different lineup from TO][edit 2: Nevermind, TO's lineup also does not show Gol in HD?]

GolTV is not an HD channel, but in some special instances they will air a game in HD and play it on the Rogers HD preview channel which is 501 in Toronto.

High-Def! From TFC's email:

The match will be broadcast live on GOLTV Canada in high definition at 8:00 p.m. ET. If you have GOLTV in HD on Rogers (channel 501) or Bell (channel 1412), you will be able to watch the match on freeview. You can catch the match in SD on Rogers 428, Bell 404 and Cogeco 122.

And if you've got SHAW or MTS you get BLAHHHHH....

Blah aside, really, really looking forward to CONCACRAP Champions League once again. It's kinda a fun tourney at times if a little ghetto in the earlier stages but that's one of it's charms.

It's been rebroadcast several times, both on GOL TV and also on Rogers community cable 10 (and 510 in HD). I can't see any sign of it airing again ... though GOL TV Canada's schedule doesn't go past Thursday ...

All the GOL TV rebroadcasts thus far happened before Friday morning (which is when I signed up)... Rogers community cable 10 only showed the game in Toronto (which goes back to my original post).

rdroze, I found that schedule already but thanks for putting it up for everyone.

• 7 months later...

Archived