FC Edmonton 2010

fishman

Ricketts might be a good pick-up too. Isn't playing that much in Finland and is from Edmonton, IIRC. Could be a good level for him and if he really fared well he might get noticed a la Haber. Seems harder to do as a benchwarmer in Finland.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
According to the FCE website, Shaun Saiko, formerly of Middlesbrough FC in England was at training camp.

Nice to read reports like this. There are too many Canadians who are in the same position that Shaun Saiko. IMO, giving Saiko a second chance at home means only good news.

Is there any word on a roster for FC Edmonton?

Intresting comments on the FCE website.

http://www.fcedmonton.com/content/coaches-receive-rave-reviews#comments

Appologies if I am reading this wrong but from what I can gather the 'Coaches' of the EDSA/AMSL leagues seem to be more concerned with disruption to their rosters than in progressing their most talented players into the professional game. However, reading it the other way it may be they do not want to see their best kids kicking their heels all season for the hope of getting 10 mins against a visting, second string TFC side, when they could still play throughout the season.

I would hope its the later, as I would hate to be the parent of a talented player denyied a shot at a pro-career because an amature side was more concered with its own performance, rather than the development of it's best propects. As noted the coaches have invested a lot of time and effort in the kids then surely the Quedos of producing Profesional Players, would help their own recuitment in the years to come.

If the Sticking point on this is ASA/CSA not allowing a duality of rostering (playing for two teams) then ASA/CSA has to Identify FC Edmonton as an Organisation Independent of the local provincial league System. As they are not playing in at the same Level, their should not really be a conflict of intrest should there?

My best analogy of this would be similar to a Pro Player getting an International call up. Could FC Edmonton not be considered the Top of the Albertan Soccer Pyramid?

So long as a Player is not paid for his time in a way that would negate his amature status, and his club is kept fully informed as to FCEdmontons intentions then, would not a close relationship between ASA EDSA and FC Edmonton actually be a good thing?

FCEdmonton needs to have local players. There has to be connection to the City. Local players bring in support from friends, family and well wishers from their Local Sub-division. A local Star Player could put anything between 200 to 500 backsides on bleaches; And as we all know backsides mean Dollars for the Clubs balance sheet.

I'll leave you with this thought, Sir Alex Furguson buys and sells players constantly, but of all the stars throughout his 20 year tenure, his stalwarts have been local boys Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes.

Friday, May 7th has come and gone, and with it close-to-final roster selections from FC Edmonton. Not that you'd know it given the lack of press coverage / website update.

The roster will be comprised largely of Alberta-based players, from which a small number were given full-year contracts (with offers for next season presumably included). Those players would be familiar to most Alberta soccer fans: Lemire, Saiko, Kooy, Duberry, Yamada, Miguel, Ilko, Hamilton and the Dutch players (still to arrive, but with the Eredivisie's schedule complete, they should be in Edmonton next week).

Many other players were given month-to-month, conditional contracts; one can assume some may have wanted to retain their amateur status or (more likely) the staff feels that they need to improve to get to the level required to compete at the USSF Division 2 level. If they don't improve, they will be replaced as the season goes along or before the team enters into official play next season.

This season might not shape up the way FC Edmonton anticipated - they still haven't released any schedule, and one would presume if they had dates sewn up for games against the Whitecaps, Impact or Toronto FC, they would be beating the drum. Nor have they mentioned any games against other NASL / USL / MLS teams, although you'd think they'd be clamoring after that level of competition.

Instead, they may see a the bulk of their games against local AMSL teams; those are games they should win quite easily with the roster they have assembled. Not sure what they'll learn from those matches. Many AMSL teams are showing poor support for FC Edmonton, so I don't expect many to line up for a friendly.

Does anyone out there really see any sign that things will be different this time in Edmonton? Since I have no Calgary club to root for, I am trying really hard to give them the benefit of the doubt. But I just see a familiar pattern: same leadership with the same ideas as before. These guys may be good guys and connected in the soccer community, but haven't they looked around at what has worked for pro soccer in Canada in the last few years? They are hanging their hopes on getting families to attend, and are still invoking the big crowds of the women's youth World Cup from years gone by. I haven't heard of any signs that they want to reach out to the supporters club types. They don't look too professional - the logo is weak, the website not great, they are not providing much info. They've promised friendlies this year. How come not even one has been announced yet? I realize that they have no revenue coming in right now, but they seem to be running things with a really tight budget. I don't know much about ownership but I don't see any signs that they remotely can compare to ownership of the Whitecaps, Impact, or TFC, and that inevitably will affect the quality of their product and whole organization. That being said, I admire that they are trying to make it happen and I wish them luck.

Jason

I brought up the idea at the initial press conference that FC Edmonton might want to engage with the fanbase to try and build a strong core of supporters and NOT try to build solely on the shifting sand of the "family outing". Unfortunately I didn't get the reaction that I was hoping for. Mr. Fath seemed a bit befuddled by the whole thing and Mr. Kowalchuk basically told me there was a lot of stuff they needed to look at (first). I have hopes that my being there and asking the question on Day 1 will spark the thought. I mean, it's obvious when you look at the successful clubs (Van/Tor/Mtl) that there needs to be a balancing act.

I still have some pseudo-plan to organize a supporters group (I still have the website framework I used on "The Hangar" before the Aviators decided to blow up). Seeing as how it seems that the name FC Edmonton is here to stay, anyone want to start a discussion on an appropriate supporters group name?

The name is probably the least important part of the venture. First, let's see what sort of supporter base you'll have to draw on in Edmonton. The most lasting supporter's group names come organically, from something as simple as seating location (Southsiders, U-Sector, the North End Elite) or just whatever felt like a good idea at the time (the Montreal Ultras).

And I wouldn't worry too much about a lack of initial enthusiasm from the club. Remember that Kowalchuk is the only one of those guys with much of a soccer background and he's just metro stuff. If you were looking to find an ear in the club, you might even want to go straight to Lodeweges.

Strobe, myself and River_City have engaged in some brief discussions outside the forum in regards to launching a supporters group - we might as well get this started on the V's forum. With the recent news stories about the club, as well as the announcement of the Impact into the MLS, we should try to carry some of that momentum and try to generate some interest for FCE well in advance of kick off in 2011 - it would be great if we could have a "core" group of supporters who are organized for opening day, with scarves!!!

You are right, a name for us would be a good start - I'm just looking at the various supporter groups around the world and most are named after the end they sit (stand) in. Since we don't know what the seating configuration of our stadium will be at this point - I was thinking we go off our Stadium name - Foote Field. How about the "Foote Soliders"? Too aggresive? Any other ideas?

Strobe, I know you were in attendance in the intital announcement and had some face to face chats with Kowalchuk and have planted the seed in regards to a supporters group. I emailed Mel a few days after that press conference, echoing the fact that there are a number of us who want to start such a group. His response:

Thank you for your note, it is much appreciated and welcome. We would not only be enthusiastic about your starting a supporters group similar to Toronto and Vancouver we would also be honored with that happening. One of the items we identified as being an integral part of our future success was our hopes that such a group would be started here in Edmonton that would create an atmosphere fitting of today's soccer and in particular in the new NASL.

We can't thank you enough for considering such an idea.

I am forwarding a copy of this note to some of our staff with the understanding that either James or Darin will be in touch with you!

In the meantime please feel free to e-mail me!

Sincerely

Mel

On behalf of FC Edmonton

Afterwards, I also received another email from a James Rosnau (not sure his position at the club) at FC Edmonton who also had this to say:

I just wanted to follow up on Mel's reply to you and introduce myself as a contact person for future communication while at the same time I want to echo his thoughts regarding a supporter/fan club for FC Edmonton. We are all very excited about the opening season for FC Edmonton and we definitely are looking forward to creating a fun and exciting environment at our home venue. For now this is my email address but we will have company emails in operation soon. I look forward to working towards a fun and successful relationship between FC Edmonton and their fans.

I hope we can work together with the club to "do it right" this time, and the above communication between the club and myself seems promising. Strobe, if you PM me, I will give you the contact info for James if you would like to communicate with him as well.

If I can throw in some more unsolicited advice from a guy who doesn't live in Edmonton but is a rampant pro-FC Edmonton partisan, be careful you don't tie up your identity too much in FC Edmonton specifically. Because let's face it, soccer teams in Edmonton fold. Or are sold. Or are generally dicked around, rebranded, and so forth. It would be nice to have a supporters' group that could go where the action is.

At the very least, it would help in three years when the CMNT hits Commonwealth again!

At the very least, it would help in three years when the CMNT hits Commonwealth again!

With artificial turf going into Commonwealth? Good luck on that one. I fear that the Mexico vs Canada WCQ was the last we will see of the MNT in Alberta. My 2 hour road trip has now become a 4 hour air trip.

My thought is to have a name that will... travel. I like how a name develops organically from the supporters, but in this case I think it would be prudent to hit the ground running. FC Edmonton will probably need all the help it can get. Any name we choose will, hopefully, have an eye to the long term success of the club and the supporters group and be appropriate no matter where we end up playing.

I will echo the sentiment that the supporters group should be at arm's length from the club though. We will work together to make this a success, but I'm not planning on marching to their drum.

I like the Foote Soldiers as a name. Tough but funny.

Permission to Speak Sir!

I'd like to suggest 1st of Foote, as the 'official name' for the Foote Soliders. We could have a General Wolfe Style Redcoat cica 1812 as a mascot; And Im thinking colours (Flag) with a relief style image of Sean Bean in his role as Bernard Cauldwells' Major Richard Sharpe might be quite iconic. (Sean Bean's a director of Sheffield united so i'm sure he'd appreciate the playfullness of it all.)

We could organise a 'Muster Role' with a supporters online fanzine called 'Mentioned in Dispatches' or something similar. WE could have a proclamation on the cover/site entrance...

"Attention All stations North and South of the 49th parellel. Be it know that a new force is risen in the Parish of Edmonton, Commissioned to discharge its duties on the Field of contest with Fortitute, Valour, and the ocassional '40 Yarder'. The Redcoats from Alberta are coming, wearing blue black and silver," We are the Chosen Men. We are coming..

WE.. ARE.. FC EDMONTON!

We could really wind up Baltimore and Roachester, just with the Irony of that alone! (they'd think we were wearing camoflarge!) ;)

However to be serious for a moment, Soliders and soccer have had long established links. The British army were constant competitors early the FA Cup competitions of the 19th century. The Kop at Anfield is named in memory of the East Lanchasire regiment 'Lost' at Spoin Kop hill in the Boar War, even a number of the games in the English Football league this year were played as benefits for the Local Regiments 'Operating in Theatre'. Its nothing political, just respectful. I have always been of the opinion that a supports group can "support " other things than just a sports club. If we are to be self styled Foote soliders then the benevolent fund/society of the The Loyal Edmonton Regiment, (part of 4th Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry) would seam a worthy cause to align with.

Sorry if I got a bit heavy at the end, but as was a young lad back in England in the 1980s names like 'Crews' 'Casuals' 'Headhunters' and 'firms', were terms associated with mindless, Hooliganism and murdurous violence; The media loved to write copy using terms such as General leiutenants and foot soliders when descibing the individals involved, Believe me these guys WERE NOT Elijah Wood or Danny Dwyer)

I can tell from these threads that the above is the furthest from everyones mind who contributes. The love of the game is obvious, you woudnt contibute otherwise. I just feel that something good can grow from supporters groups over and above the joy and pain of supporting your soccer team alone.

By the way.... Leeds United Promoted? GET IN THERE!:D

While I like to remain positive, I feel a need to complain. How is it that FC Edmonton launches a website whose level of professionalism (in style, content, design, etc.) is surpassed by just about every single youth site on the internet? How is it that volunteer-driven clubs can have a better site? And logo?

Sorry to vent, but it reeks of amateurism. It reeks of the penny-wise, pound foolish mentality that too often plagues business ventures. Not unlike the t-shirts (complete with numbers on the back) that the team has been wearing for their first few exhibition matches. No matching shorts, no matching socks, no training tops, no track suits with logos for coaches...yuck.

Sorry to vent, but it reeks of amateurism.

I'm with you on this. It makes me a little worried that there doesn't seem to have been a lot of thought put in to this operation. The only positive I can see so far is that at least they didn't try to push this out onto the pitch for real yet.

I'm with you on this. It makes me a little worried that there doesn't seem to have been a lot of thought put in to this operation. The only positive I can see so far is that at least they didn't try to push this out onto the pitch for real yet.

What I don't get is that The FC Edmonton website still looks like a holding page compared to the Silverbacks Website. True they appear to have some history and development behind them when the FCEdmonton endevour is totally new, but they ARE technically launching at the same time in 2011. surley they could get some 'schoolies' in at the end of term and Zip hings up a bit?

The Blogs are a nice touch as are the polls (which seem to be fishing for info / direction. if you ask me) but I'd like to see some more identity. I was also a bit worried when the comments log was stopped. Either we scared them or broke the server! What happened to the twitter tape? I was enljoying using my Babel Fish to translate the Dutch.

Honestly My Kids School website has more going for it at the moment.

It would be nice to see the local league standings somewhere on the page, with perhaps a report or two on the local 'Big Games'. I know the seasons hardly started but getting some connection between the club and the provincial leagues has to be a start surley? (still with ASA's current predicament its a wonder there are ANY leagues sactioned)

How is it that FC Edmonton launches a website whose level of professionalism (in style, content, design, etc.) is surpassed by just about every single youth site on the internet? How is it that volunteer-driven clubs can have a better site? And logo?

Because volunteers give up insane amounts of time driven by obsessive dedication. Supporters building sites as a hobby have complete creative control and have tons of content to work with. A new business has to pay someone who is usually not a fan and has very limited amounts of content.

I'm not saying being a little cheap on the web site is a good thing but it's not the end of the world.

Ted, in 2010, when the primary method of information dissemination is the internet, I disagree that it's not the end of the world. It demonstrates a business strategy that is out of touch with the reality of today. If a new business doesn't have the money to pay for a functional, attractive website, I'd say that the business has problems. If the business doesn't appreciate the importance of a living, breathing web presence, I'd still say that business has problems.

I've gotta say, I have minimal HTML knowledge from when I used to play around with it when I was a kid and I could literally put together something more professional looking then what they currently have.

It's as if they are scared to take themselves seriously which is very worrisome indeed. If you put a lot of marketing into your product and show passion in what you do you will create a following. Half ass it and dont' expect people to even notice you're there.

The Fath group really need to get on this and start promoting their product. It is only a year away and they have done absolutely nothing to spur interest in it.

Archived