PSV close to signing Atiba Hutchinson

SCF08

Great news! I am pumped for Atiba. I am happy he isn't coming back to Canada to be honest. I love TFC but having our best playing in europe is really what we want at the end of the day as Voyageurs.

agree with the exception that I dont support the MLS

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good step up for Atiba. The Dutch league seems like a god fit for him, and he'll no longer be playing for the big fish in a small pond. Should help him as a player.

Perhaps at the end of the three years he'll be ready to come home to TFC.

Just heard that Atiba received a fee of 1 million Euro's to sign for PSV and he will be among the best paid players in the Eredivisie (which should be 1 to 1.5 million Euro's per year)

Pretty shocking...I can't see him being a starter right now with Afellay, Engelaar and Bakkal or Toivonen playing.

Just heard that Atiba received a fee of 1 million Euro's to sign for PSV and he will be among the best paid players in the Eredivisie (which should be 1 to 1.5 million Euro's per year)

Pretty shocking...I can't see him being a starter right now with Afellay, Engelaar and Bakkal or Toivonen playing.

Isn't Toivonen more of a striker?

Still though, this is pretty surprising given the quality of the midfield players they have. I know Bakkal was quoted earlier in the season as stating he'd like to play in another league, but I don't think his recent form merits a move up. Engelaar is only 30, Afellay is 25.

Good for Atiba for getting paid; let's hope the move is good for Canada too and he gets to play.

Good for Atiba for getting paid; let's hope the move is good for Canada too and he gets to play.

I hope he establishes himself as the clear first team starter and not a squad guy. How does his new packet compare to those of his other midfield competitors at PSV?

Great news! I am pumped for Atiba. I am happy he isn't coming back to Canada to be honest. I love TFC but having our best playing in europe is really what we want at the end of the day as Voyageurs.

A misconception. We need more players playing in MLS. However, since Atiba is playing at a relatively big club, this is a good move for everyone.

What formation does PSV like to use and what does a typical starting lineup look like?

PSV usually play like this:

___________________Isaksson_____________________

_Manolev___Maza Rodriguez___Salcido_______Pieters__

_________Afellay_________Engelaar_________________

_______________Bakkal___________________________

__Amrabat________Toivonen_________________Dszudszak_

They sometimes swap Amrabat and play Bakkal and Toivonen behind the striker (Koevermans)

First pics of Atiba at PSV:

http://www.psv.nl/Nieuws/Nieuwspagina/Hutchinson-Fantastisch-hier-te-zijn.htm

None of those Dutch internationals have starting position though.

Engelaar was one of the starting d-mids at the last Euro. Affellay and Bakkal are both up and comers. My point is Hutch has his work cut out for him, he'll have to work hard and catch a break to win a regular spot in the starting lineup.

On a positive, atleast Lazovic isn't there anymore...

Engelaar was one of the starting d-mids at the last Euro. Affellay and Bakkal are both up and comers. My point is Hutch has his work cut out for him, he'll have to work hard and catch a break to win a regular spot in the starting lineup.

On a positive, atleast Lazovic isn't there anymore...

He might be a replacement for Afellay. Bayern Munich and Arsenal are very interested in his services so that might open up a spot for Atiba. Will be interesting to see what happens in the summer/pre-season.

A misconception. We need more players playing in MLS. However, since Atiba is playing at a relatively big club, this is a good move for everyone.

we need more canadians in MLS, but more young canadians who can use it as a development step to bigger things, not established european professionals taking steps back in league quality to play there (JDG)...we need our best playing in leagues way better than MLS....canadians in MLS are good to increase our depth pool, but we cant base our national team on talent from a league 1 level.

anyways...i was hoping atiba would go to england just so i could watch him, but this is a great step for him....it sure would be nice to have one canadian in the prem to watch week in and week out instead of the odd game on GOL tv or wherever.

we need more canadians in MLS, but more young canadians who can use it as a development step to bigger things, not established european professionals taking steps back in league quality to play there (JDG)...we need our best playing in leagues way better than MLS....canadians in MLS are good to increase our depth pool, but we cant base our national team on talent from a league 1 level.

I agree with the sentiment that MLS should be used as a stepping platform for a big European move, but that is thinking two or three steps a head. Right now, we just need more guys in MLS regardless of how old they are. We could make every world cup if we had a decent sized pool in the MLS. Again, I agree that young Canadian players should use MLS as a springboard to "better things" in order for them to raise their game. However, right now, we have to establish a good domestic base of players that play in the MLS just to make the World Cup. Everything else can come after. I think with Vancouver and Montreal entering the league, we'll achieve that in due time.

For JDG's case, he's 28 and isn't developing anymore. I have no problem with him and others like him, Mckenna and Klukowski, coming back and raising the profile of this league. In fact, it would help our national team out more if they came back. For starters, they won't be jet lagged from a European flight, the players will be more in tune with each other's playing style, and more importantly, it will be good for them psychologically. A lot of people don't realize how much a sense of belonging can help build collectivism amongst the team. If a lot of them play on Canadian MLS teams, they will build that.

For JDG's case, he's 28 and isn't developing anymore. I have no problem with him and others like him, Mckenna and Klukowski, coming back and raising the profile of this league. In fact, it would help our national team out more if they came back. For starters, they won't be jet lagged from a European flight, the players will be more in tune with each other's playing style, and more importantly, it will be good for them psychologically. A lot of people don't realize how much a sense of belonging can help build collectivism amongst the team. If a lot of them play on Canadian MLS teams, they will build that.

The problem with MLS, with respect to the national team, is that when we have a chance to get together to play a friendly, we're either dealing with players that are out of season or that have club conflicts, doubly so when we get together for a friendly on a non-FIFA date.

It doesn't help if we can't get our best players together on a consistent basis.

The problem with MLS, with respect to the national team, is that when we have a chance to get together to play a friendly, we're either dealing with players that are out of season or that have club conflicts, doubly so when we get together for a friendly on a non-FIFA date.

Not sure I agree with the idea that MLS players are out of season when national team games are played.

Generally speaking, we already schedule very few friendlies outside the FIFA official match days, and I think you'd certainly prefer to stick to the official days anyway. Looking at the FIFA calendar for the years 2010 through 2013, here are the total number of official match days for each month (no other months have FIFA match days):

Feb: 3

Mar: 5

Jun: 4

Aug: 4

Sep: 8

Oct: 8

Nov: 6

The MLS season begins in March, and training camps usually open in February, so February is probably the worst month for being out of game shape. The regular season finishes near the end of October, and with the addition of playoffs, I don't think that November is a bad time for our MLS players to be playing national games. Being out of season is a bigger problem for most of the European-based players, I would argue.

As for the availability of the MLS players to play for the nats, that's another issue, and I agree it isn't ideal right now. But it's definitely getting better, and I believe it will continue to improve. If MLS can finally shut down for half the World Cup as they're doing this year, then surely they can avoid more of the international dates in the future.

Yeah, Atiba could displace any of the 3 midfielders with a few games of good form. PSV is a team that is looking to shake up their midfield in my opinion. As a PSV supporter I am pretty sure Atiba is looking at a good amount of playing time in a number of different situations. He becomes one of the more verstaile Mids PSV has now.

Archived