PSV close to signing Atiba Hutchinson

SCF08

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is a good move for Atiba. He won't be in Champions League in 2010-11, but PSV are perennial contenders for the Eredivisie, and if Twente's season is an aberration (as I think it is), they are likely to finish in one of the top two CL qualifying spots next year. PSV are currently 3rd in Holland with one game left, and will finish third overall as they are way ahead of 4th and 5 points behind 2nd. They will be entered into the playoff round of the Europa League (knockout round before the group stage).

would be a good move, I think I prefer this to the blackburn move, gives him another shot at champions league.

Agree with this completely. Playing with a high profile club like PSV would be fantastic for him. Plus hopefully a chance to showcase some of the offensive side of his game. IMO he's been vastly underused by Canada in recent years. Technically one of our top players.

Agree with this completely. Playing with a high profile club like PSV would be fantastic for him. Plus hopefully a chance to showcase some of the offensive side of his game. IMO he's been vastly underused by Canada in recent years. Technically one of our top players.

Yes but also one of our most consistent underperformers/disappointments on the field. I still believe it was a big mistake for him not to go to Russia and opt for a mediocre league like Denmark. Hopefully the move to a better league will let him start to reach his potential. I also don't think he is EPL quality at the moment.

Nice find.

No doubt about it, things can get a bit wild and wooly in the Eredivisie. Should be fun times for Hutch and a Hell of a lot easier to catch him on TV if he decides to make the move.

Don't think he's going to miss some of that hard Danish marking he must have gotten used to over these years.

Yes but also one of our most consistent underperformers/disappointments on the field. I still believe it was a big mistake for him not to go to Russia and opt for a mediocre league like Denmark. Hopefully the move to a better league will let him start to reach his potential. I also don't think he is EPL quality at the moment.

+1

He's become a bit of an enigma to me in terms of where he's used most effectively. I liked him in a more offensive role with our MNT a couple of years ago because he had some shake and bake 1 v 1 and had a playmaker's instinct for the quick set up pass. I guess a knock against him was that he didn't score enough from that spot but I felt the goals would come. However, I haven't liked his play much when he's been used more in a deeper defensive role because he's more of a finesse type and less of a ballwinner. He underachieved during the WCQ: he didn't contribute anything offensively yet didn't standout in the defensive side of the game either (hence my support of Grizzly's opinion). I personally think that both he and JDG may be used more effectively when there's a stronger defensive presence behind them dedicated to disrupting the opponent's build up play: if things are looking a little hairy than one of the two, probably JDG, would pull back to make it a double holding mid role.

If the move is confirmed then I wish him all the best.

would be a good move, I think I prefer this to the blackburn move, gives him another shot at champions league.

Not only that but more important, he would be playing for a team with a winning mentality rather than playing with a second tier team (if Blackburn is an option as well).

I agree that Atiba had a bit of a poor spell with the Canadian team during World Cup Qualifying, but then again who didn't?

But I am certain he has been one of the key pieces to our two positive showings at the 2007 and 2009 Gold Cups. He was voted man of the match by the press at the El Salvador match in Columbus, and in terms of the players that are recognized by the rest of CONCACAF media, he is definitely one of the few.

Although his goal-scoring isn't his main strength, he has offensive abilities and instincts that don't come naturally to a lot of Canadian players. He is definitely the most offensive-minded of our central mid players: JDG, Bernier, Imhof.

I thought he was arguably more influential that JDG at the 2009 GC.

Would be nice to see him move to PSV, and you would guess that if they are offering him a contract already, he might have some more (maybe bigger) offers coming his way.

Best of luck to him, such a great guy. Always smiling.

Not only that but more important, he would be playing for a team with a winning mentality rather than playing with a second tier team (if Blackburn is an option as well).

ahh, I wouldn't necessarily call FC KØBENHAVN a second tier team.. They may play in a lesser quality league than the EPL or Bundesliga but they are a perennial powerhouse who frequent Champions League. But all in all, PSV is a step up for sure, no arguments there.

After seeing the way TFC is playing this season, part of me was hoping that he would come home and play with the reds just for one season. I think TFC easily has been the worst team on the field so far and Hutch is sheer quality. However I support this move more so. The guy deserves a change at the big time after doing so well in Sweden and Denmark.

lol watch the whitecaps sign him in 2 or 3 years...

After seeing the way TFC is playing this season, part of me was hoping that he would come home and play with the reds just for one season. I think TFC easily has been the worst team on the field so far and Hutch is sheer quality. However I support this move more so. The guy deserves a change at the big time after doing so well in Sweden and Denmark.

Ill be all for it, and be the first with a Hutch Cap's jersey, but he still can provide a top team in Europe with some depth and creativity on basically all fronts of the midfield.

I think PSV is a much better move than Blackburn, as that's about as good as team he will ever be on getting minutes in the EPL. PSV on the other hand could offer him some solid time on the pitch in important fixtures.

Turning Russia down was a huge mistake for him, he an't make the same one, PSV is the better move, unless he gets more offers from Russia, maybe the Ukraine or Turkey. Needs to get out of Scandinavia. Bundesliga would also be interesting, Friend and Mckenna have fared pretty well there.

The way things are shaping up at the moment, I would not want any more key national team players involved with TFC, seems to suck the life and form out of them.

Archived