Confirmed call-ups for Argentina and Venezuela friendlies

loyola

Today's Toronto Sun quotes Julian DeGuzman as saying he will be in Argentina despite TFC having a game 2 days later.. "Who wouldn't want to play against one of the best teams in the world".

TFC doesn't have a game 2 days later, they play 2 days before. Their next game is 5 days after the Argentina game.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sucks we won't be able to field our new PSV man but great news about Johnson, De Rosario and De Guzman this roster has a lot of surprises so far... I wonder if TFC would let Attakora come also? I think it would be in their best interest to groom their young star

Sucks we won't be able to field our new PSV man but great news about Johnson, De Rosario and De Guzman this roster has a lot of surprises so far... I wonder if TFC would let Attakora come also? I think it would be in their best interest to groom their young star

That's a good point. Since he's a young up-and-comer, the exposure could only help his future transfer fee.

That's a good point. Since he's a young up-and-comer, the exposure could only help his future transfer fee.

It would help everything about him, he'll get a ton of experience and be a better player when he comes back to TFC I think they would be dumb not to. Jason Kreis clearly realizes the importance in developing Johnson through these two matches and is letting his all star come to South America... if only TFC had some depth at center back...

While TFC’s upcoming fixture schedule is a congested one, eyes are beginning to turn towards Canada’s upcoming friendly with Argentina on May 24th. There has been pressure over the past few years for the Canadian Soccer Association to line up high caliber opposition and this will be an opportunity for the national team to impress. Real Salt Lake manager Jason Kreis has already indicated that striker Will Johnson will be made available, but word has not come down yet from Toronto, who has 4 players eligible to participate in De Rosario, Julian de Guzman, and defenders Nana Attakora and Adrian Cann.

“I’m not too sure yet. I know [the CSA] has spoken to the club and we have a few games coming up, but I don’t know if I’ll be part of that game,” said Attakora.

“I might be part of the Venezuela match. I spoke with Steve [Hart, Canada manager] and I’m waiting to find out. I should know within the next week, week and a half”.

Upon hearing this, Barrett playfully threatened Attakora, the man with the locker next to his, telling him, “You better be there!”

With 3 matches in the next two weeks (away to Vancouver and LA and then home to the Revs), TFC is enjoying the levity now when they can.

http://mobile.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2010/05/09/1915797/spirits-as-high-as-tfc-scoreline

I'm not sure if he's healthy and not much of a fan of him but the CSA might want to consider calling Jono DeGuzman for these matches! He wasn't included in the 30 man Dutch World Cup roster, seems he just might not be in their plans! I know he has had injury issues and I'm not sure if he's fit now, haven't followed him since he turned his back on Canada quite honestly! Does anyone know what's going on with him?

I'm not sure if he's healthy and not much of a fan of him but the CSA might want to consider calling Jono DeGuzman for these matches! He wasn't included in the 30 man Dutch World Cup roster, seems he just might not be in their plans! I know he has had injury issues and I'm not sure if he's fit now, haven't followed him since he turned his back on Canada quite honestly! Does anyone know what's going on with him?

The flip side to this is that Daniel Fernandes was named to the Portugal World Cup roster, presumably as the third keeper, a bit surprisingly as I didn't think he has played with them for a while.

Midfielder-turned-full-back Jaime Peters has been named in the Canada squad facing Argentina and Venezuela in friendlies later this month. The 23-year-old has previously won 21 caps and has scored one international goal.

http://www.twtd.co.uk/news.php?storyid=16455

Interesting comments about Peters in the comments section to that article (notwithstanding the one about him possibly breaking Messi's legs).

The flip side to this is that Daniel Fernandes was named to the Portugal World Cup roster, presumably as the third keeper, a bit surprisingly as I didn't think he has played with them for a while.

I'm a little surprised about this too, was hoping they might give him a call! These nations can be quite cynical in cap tieing players jsut so they don't have options to go elsewhere, we should be doing the same! This Argentina friendly will be a good indication of how committed some of the fence sitters are to Canada! As DeRo said"who wouldn't want to play against Argentina?"

Besides keeper' ,Right Back is my biggest concern going forward with this team! We have to establish some new depth there, Diesel has been great for the team over the years but even Ed has acknowledged it's time to move on! Hopefully Straith and Peters get a good look there at the camp and in the two friendlies!

Besides keeper' ,Right Back is my biggest concern going forward with this team! We have to establish some new depth there, Diesel has been great for the team over the years but even Ed has acknowledged it's time to move on! Hopefully Straith and Peters get a good look there at the camp and in the two friendlies!

I think with Straith, Attakora, Peters, Ledgerwood and Hainault the future at right back is pretty solid for the next decade or so but it remains to be seen how good those options are in the final third. I think Straith will become more than an adequate replacement for Stalteri as well as Attakora both are similarly althletic/strong players

Archived