Confirmed call-ups for Argentina and Venezuela friendlies

loyola

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ouch It will be interesting to see who will get the call in goal for these games. I sure hope Hart calls a third keeper. If we are that thin on available GK's, hell just slap a pair of gloves on forrest. I would love to see Hirshfeld for the Argentina game but it probably wont happen, wich means we probably wont see Monsalve either. I would love to see Fernandes, but am not holding my breath. We could dust off Sutton or Onstad but I would love to see the new El Shaibani get a chance, even if the prospect does scare me a bit.

We have got to blood some new keepers in the next 2 years and get a a starter confirmed.

If you want to scout I think Venezuela plays Honduras tonight - perhaps available here: http://www.justin.tv/hon01#r=U1i7dR8~

Just about to start (7:20 PST)

FWIW, Ven squad: Leonardo Morales; José Luis Granados, Henry Pernía, Luigi Erazo, Grenddy Perozo; Giacomo di Giorgi, Francisco Flores, Agnel Flores, Mario Sánchez; Yohandri Orozco y Richard Blanco.

Final result is Honduras 0 - 1 Venezuela. I'm really surprised about this. Honduras played friendlies in the past with Colombia and Paraguay and beat them all, but Venezuela managed to win against a strong Honduran squad (Nunez, Pavon, Guevara, Martinez).

Final result is Honduras 0 - 1 Venezuela. I'm really surprised about this. Honduras played friendlies in the past with Colombia and Paraguay and beat them all, but Venezuela managed to win against a strong Honduran squad (Nunez, Pavon, Guevara, Martinez).

Did Honduras have all their euro players?

Well, if memory serves me well neither Colombia or Paraguay brought what you would call an "A" team, they were mostly domestic-based players. Also, Honduras lost to Peru 1-2 a few months back, so they've lost a bit of their swagger. I have a feeling Chile and Spain will hammer them.

Rueda believes his players and the fans didn't pay their opponents enough respect:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=290860&league=FIFA.FRIENDLY&cc=5901

Suazo may not be healthy for the World Cup:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/775052/ce/uk/?cc=5901&ver=us

Well, if memory serves me well neither Colombia or Paraguay brought what you would call an "A" team, they were mostly domestic-based players. Also, Honduras lost to Peru 1-2 a few months back, so they've lost a bit of their swagger. I have a feeling Chile and Spain will hammer them.

Rueda believes his players and the fans didn't pay their opponents enough respect:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=290860&league=FIFA.FRIENDLY&cc=5901

Suazo may not be healthy for the World Cup:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/775052/ce/uk/?cc=5901&ver=us

I can't tell because I don't remember the players from the Honduran, Paraguayan and Colimbian squads but I wouldn't be surprised because for theses SA countries, a friendly means the chance to see if a new player could fit with the team, the result probably meant nothing for Paraguay and Colombia, at least I can tell that from the fans.

Just noticing on Cottbus website the announcement of Straith being invited to Argentina. Well at least that's a done deal. Good luck to him!

Also an interview on their front page.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.fcenergie.de/home/home.php&ei=ubxfSvTQI42cMPiita4C&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=3&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Denergie%2Bcottbus%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den-us

Early days for him, but he has had a very good season, back up for the reserves in addition to being the starter on their U20 team. I have high hopes for him.

I am very happy to see Adam Straith called up.

Early days for him, but he has had a very good season, back up for the reserves in addition to being the starter on their U20 team. I have high hopes for him.

I am very happy to see Adam Straith called up.

Psyched to see Straith called up.. it would be way too early to call up Julien at this point obviously though no point in wasting a spot on a guy who isn't a certainty to be a professional nevermind a national team player

I think we will see all our germany first teamers and maybe Wassey also since we are missing our MLS players although it would be absolute MONEY if we could get De Guzman off TFC and if not maybe Attakora but im not holding my breath on that one looking at the defensive depth chart

I think this is a realistic team (all are available I believe) that could do well in South America:

Wagenaar

Al-Shaïbani

(maybe Hirsch, Stama or Monsalve?)

Edgar

McKenna

Klukowski

De Jong

Stalteri

Straith

Hastings

Simpson

Hutchinson

Peters

Ledgerwood

Bernier

Hume

Nakajima-Farran

Wassey

Friend

Jackson

Radzinski

Gerba

Haber

Replacements: Gavin McCallum, Terry Dunfield, Andrew Ornoch, Stephen Ademolu, Sandro Grande, Steven Vitoria

We should be able to field a pretty good XI while getting some younger guys in camp... depth isn't really there

Im thinking this would be a good team:

------------------------------Friend---------------------------------

Simpson--------------------Hutchinson---------------------Radzinski

-------------------Ledgerwood-----Bernier---------------------------

De Jong-------------Klukowski--------McKenna--------Straith

---------------------------Al Shaibani---------------------------------

Looks like a pretty solid XI to me... in the final third you have 4 good/great players Simpson being linked with Fenerbahce, Friend a B1 striker, Radz and our new PSV player Hutchinson

Ledgerwood and Bernier seem to be in good club form both playing full matches and Bernier even potting a few hopefully those two can hold down the center of the pitch with help from Hutch, Radz and Simpson.

I remember Klukowski playing as a center back in the UEFA cup vs. Sevilla and shutting down their guns so I had to partner him up with McKenna there are sure to be some guns on this Argentina team and we need a pretty athletic defender back there I think Edgar and McKenna would be scary. This also allows De Jong a start at LB which we havent seen yet, he is always a consistent starter and important player for his club in this position. We aren't likely to see Straith start at RB unless Stalteri is injured or until the Venezuela game at least but I personally would start him because the XI ive drawn up features all players playing regular first team football (although Friend is a sub). I think starting Haidar in goal is the best choice really we've seen what Wagenaar can do and he isn't even playing for Falkirk...

I really hope Radzinski makes it to this match if not start one of Hume, Peters or Nakajima-Farran in his spot..

I was thinking of starting Peters over Ledgerwood in the middle but I just have this image of Peters being subbed on with a half hour to go and making runs on the tired left back.

Wouldn't it just be unreal if we could get even one of Fernandes, Jono De Guzman or Hoillet out to these games... there are spots just begging to be filled. If we could get DeRo or De Guzman off of TFC that would help a ton too

Hell no. You only get one chance to dick us around.

I don't think Lensky could come back to play for Canada even if he wanted to now.

I also think if he could come back, this might be the player who is of a high enough profile, that we could ignore to prove a point.

Our goaltending depth is just woeful...

Agreed I think Hirschfeld is good and Monsalve could be just as good but we need some depth there is some hope though with all these young keepers that are popping up. Misiewicz, Thomas, JLL, Street, Stillio, Gracey.... gotta hope that a few of them turn into options which I believe will happen

^ Really? Not that I want him on the team by any stretch of the imagination, but not sure that is true.

Since he had played for us in official youth competition (U23) he needed some paperworks in order to play for the Czech. I don't think you can change twice, so I guess it's correct to assume that he can't play for us even if he hasn't played a WC or Euro qualifier yet.

That was, of course, a statement made with tongue firmly in cheek, since someone mentioned Jono DG earlier in the thread.

Though I'd love to see a player of his potential suit up for us, it makes no sense to court players who have no interest in playing for Canada.

That was, of course, a statement made with tongue firmly in cheek, since someone mentioned Jono DG earlier in the thread.

Though I'd love to see a player of his potential suit up for us, it makes no sense to court players who have no interest in playing for Canada.

Sorry. It was too early in the morning for those types of shenanigans. :)

Archived