Confirmed call-ups for Argentina and Venezuela friendlies

loyola

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweet, someone is doing their job (Hart)...

"Al-Shaïbani sélectionné. La doublure de Nicolas Puydebois a appris hier sa sélection en équipe nationale du Canada pour deux matches programmés en mai. Haidar Al-Shaïbani rencontrera l'Argentine à Buenos-Aires le 24 et le Venezuela à Mérida le 29."

Sweet, someone is doing their job (Hart)...

"Al-Shaïbani sélectionné. La doublure de Nicolas Puydebois a appris hier sa sélection en équipe nationale du Canada pour deux matches programmés en mai. Haidar Al-Shaïbani rencontrera l'Argentine à Buenos-Aires le 24 et le Venezuela à Mérida le 29."

I'm very happy for Haidar but I'm also a bit worried about the idea of feeding him or Wagenaar to the Argies strikers....could be a long day.

Is everyone really that excited about Haidar? I know we don't have much depth, but when I heard I was more worried than optimistic. What has he done outside of stopping a couple penalties several months ago? I was kind of hoping that these games would see Fernandez return to the fold.

If we are going to scour the lower leagues for keepers, then why not Rayner? He's at least playing regularly, isn't he?

^ Is Daniel Fernandes even eligible for Canada? I constantly hear about how maybe he will switch back, but he had played games for Canada U20, then switched to Portugal where he also played games. I was under the impression that even with the new rules in place you can only switch countries once? Am I wrong or should I keep my fingers crossed that he returns like everyone else has been doing?

^ He has yet to play an official game for either country, so he is eligible to come back into the Canadian fold.

I wouldn't mind seeing Rayner get a call up for a "B" camp some day, just to see what he brings to the table. My gut tells me that Shabani playing roughly 3 tiers above Rayner is why he'd get the call ahead of him.

Is everyone really that excited about Haidar? I know we don't have much depth, but when I heard I was more worried than optimistic. What has he done outside of stopping a couple penalties several months ago? I was kind of hoping that these games would see Fernandez return to the fold.

If we are going to scour the lower leagues for keepers, then why not Rayner? He's at least playing regularly, isn't he?

I'd say it's less excitement about Haidar and more excitement that Hart is getting away from calling the same guys from the same leagues everytime instead of scouting around the world and calling up a variety of player.

I'd say it's less excitement about Haidar and more excitement that Hart is getting away from calling the same guys from the same leagues everytime instead of scouting around the world and calling up a variety of player.

I think Hart is getting away from the regulars only out of necessity. Hirschfeld and Monsalve probably won't be made available. I am happy that this guy is getting a look...just not in games of this magnitude.

^ Was just checking the keeper pool and we may be seeing Street or Misiewicz

Maybe Misiewicz, he did play for Sunderland reserves this year. Street is without a team and had a tough time squeezing into the West Ham reserves. When we're talking about calling up teenagers you know we're hurting...maybe Red Bull would let us have Sutton??? Would he even be a stronger option than either Shabani or Wagenaar though?

Well, with his performance of today Haidar as a chance to finish the year as Nimes starter.

I'm not sure what he can brings to the table but we knew he was the only keeper available apart from Josh. Since he was never part of any national youth teams for us, we are glad to see he was called.

France L2 is probably on par with a lot of leagues where you can find Canadians playing (B2, Scandinavia, Scotland) so I think he is probably of the same caliber as pretty much all the keepers in our player pool. Rayner is playing Conference football, there's a big difference with L2 IMO.

I'm with you on the Fernandez thing, he should be called to see where he stands! We could be in a bit of trouble in the nets, or maybe this is where we find a keeper of the future!

I'm with you on the Fernandez thing, he should be called to see where he stands! We could be in a bit of trouble in the nets, or maybe this is where we find a keeper of the future!

Agreed here too. Let's use the new FIFA eligibility rules to our advantage.

Ive actually never heard of this kid. Whats his basic back ground or connection to Canada?

He's a Canadian from Algerian descent (I think he's born in Canada) and he's played for Western University Mustangs in the CIS. He was also part of the 2007 and 2009 Universiades Canada team. He played in the CSL.

He would be someone I would like to see interview by some of our bloggers in the near future. I would like to know a bit more about him and how he got the chance to trial with Nimes.

It's hard to say who were the first to find out about Haidar, the CSA or us....

The V's found out about Haider at the same time as the CSA

Street is not playing anywhere right now from what i hear.

I'm happy to see our young keepers getting a shot, even if they are being put in front of a firing line

Well I'm happy to hear of this call-up. I haven't seen him play, but I'm in favour of spreading the net as wide as possible and bringing as many players as we can into the fold. Young keeper playing at a decent level is worth a look at the very least, and with the defection of a certain former Canadian from the keeper ranks, we need more depth in this area very badly.

I'm curious whether he would have been eligible thanks to his caps at the University Games if he didn't meet the residency requirement? ie. Would UG's count as official caps to tie him to us before the rules changed? Not that it matters much in his case, but just curious whether there are a few foreign born kids out there that have represented us at the UG's or Francophonie in the past who might be "officially" capped because of those appearances. Kids that we might otherwise have lost because of the new rules?

Well I'm happy to hear of this call-up. I haven't seen him play, but I'm in favour of spreading the net as wide as possible and bringing as many players as we can into the fold. Young keeper playing at a decent level is worth a look at the very least, and with the defection of a certain former Canadian from the keeper ranks, we need more depth in this area very badly.

Milltown FC head coach Rafael Carbajal coached Haider at North York Astros a few years back and has always told me that he is a very solid keeper that has the athleticism to play at a high level. He's still relatively young for a GK and is in a good situation in 2nd Division in France. I'm very happy that he is getting a shot with the NT.

Archived