Canada to hold men’s U-17 camp in Omaha, Nebraska

loyola

http://www.canadasoccer.com/news/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=4048

13 April 2010

Canada to hold men’s U-17 camp in Omaha, Nebraska

Canada’s men’s U-17 team has announced its first camp of the 2010 season which will take place 21-26 April in Omaha, NE, USA. Coach Sean Fleming has invited 21 players to the six-day camp which begins Canada’s preparations for the 2011 CONCACAF Men’s Under-17 Championship.

'It is a great opportunity to have the players get together as a group and see them against very good competition,' said national head coach Sean Fleming. 'It is a long road to qualification and this will be a great first step for the group to start the process of getting to know each other on and off the field.'

As part of the six-day camp, Canada will take part in three exhibition matches against local clubs. Canada plays Creighton University on 23 April, University of Missouri - Kansas City on 25 April, and an opponent yet to be named on 26 April.

'It has been great to have opportunities to scout the players across the country,' said Fleming. 'This will be the first chance for players to start making their claim for a spot on the team. It was very difficult to choose on this lineup as there are other players who showed well. It is all a very positive sign for this age group.'

Canada, whose title sponsor is BMO Financial Group, is preparing for next year’s 2011 CONCACAF Men’s Under-17 Championship. As such, each player on the team is born 1994 or later to be eligible for next year’s CONCACAF Men’s Under-17 Championship and FIFA U-17 World Cup. In terms of preparation, 17 of the 21 players have already taken part in either Canada’s National Training Centres or BMO National Championships.

CANADA

D- Abbott-Hill-Smith, Quante | CAN / Dixie | Brampton, ON, CAN

D- Addai, Yaw | CAN / Chinook | Calgary, AB, CAN

M- Alderson, Bryce | CAN / Kitchener Spirit | Kitchener, ON, CAN

M- Aleman, Keven | Unattached / sans club | Brampton, ON, CAN

F- Brome, Jalen | CAN / Unionville SC | Ajax, ON, CAN

F- Cain, Wesley | Unattached / sans club | Guelph, ON, CAN

F- Carreiro, Dylan | CAN / FC Northwest | Winnipeg, MB, CAN

G- Crépeau, Maxime | CAN / Académie Impact Montréal | Candiac, QC, CAN

D- Curci, Andrew | CAN / Toronto FC Academy | Aurora, ON, CAN

F- Essa, Yassin | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps U-18 Residency | Surrey, BC, CAN

M- Garcia, Emmanuel | CAN / Boca Juniors | Etobicoke, ON, CAN

G- Huggins, Xander | Unattached / sans club | Seagrave, ON CAN

F- Jalali, Sadi | CAN / Juventus SC | Edmonton, AB, CAN

M- Lapenna, Marco | CAN / St-Leonard | Montréal, QC, CAN

M- Mmunga, Shadrack | Unattached / sans club | Québec, QC, CAN

M- Morris, Omari | CAN / Ajax SC | Ajax, ON, CAN

M- Nagy, Cole | CAN / Sereno SC | Edmonton, AB, CAN

D- Nesci, Raffaele | CAN / Islington Rangers | Etobicoke, ON, CAN

M- Pasquotti, Matteo | CAN / South West United | Lethbridge, AB, CAN

M- Piette, Samuel | CAN / FC Boisbriand | Le Gardeur, QC, CAN

D- Polakiewcz, Adam | CAN / Oakville Raiders | Kitchener, ON, CAN

Head Coach / Entraîneur-chef : Sean Fleming

Assistant Coach / Entraîneur adjoint : Robert Gale

Assistant Coach / Entraîneur adjoint : Rob Csabai

Goalkeeper coach / Entraîneur des gardiens : Djamel Laarabi

Athletic Therapist / Thérapeute athlétique : Dwayne Laing

Manager / Gérant : Les Meszaros

Unless it's a typo it would appear the Boca in question is a Canadian club team. I googled and found a Boca Juniors men's futsal team from Toronto that participated at the Toronto Int'l Soccer Show tournament. Could be them he plays for..perhaps caught Flemings eye, being only 15 and playing against men?

If it was the Argentina Boca they would have put ARG/ in front of the club name. Hopefully VPjr enters this thread to confirm that Garcia plays in the Toronto Futsal League against his VP Court Kings team.

http://www.torontofutsal.ca/futsal/teams-open/?team_id=23

http://www.futsalcanada.ca/index.php/news-and-articles/ontario-futsal-news/207-osa-futsal-cup-mens-standings-and-playoffs-as-of-saturday-evening

We got the hell beaten out of us by a school I've never heard of! Promising!

To put things in perspective, almost all of the players on this U16 team (born in '94 and '95) are in Grade 10 or lower playing against a University team with kids in their early 20's.

I wonder if they inquired about playing the KC Wizards U18 squad?

To put things in perspective, almost all of the players on this U16 team (born in '94 and '95) are in Grade 10 or lower playing against a University team with kids in their early 20's.

Absolutely, but one hopes we're picking matches we think we can be competitive in. If the U-17s played Toronto and lost 75-0, putting it in perspective wouldn't make the scoreline look any better!

We got the hell beaten out of us by a school I've never heard of! Promising!

You haven't heard of the Creighton Blue Jays? They've had a couple of good runs in the NCAA Basketball tournament, I imagine they have a decent soccer program!

kids v. men. This isn't dissimilar to the women's team playing guys. They may have superior technique (MAY!), but physically no prayer - especially against a team that is familiar with each other (Creighton) v. a bunch of new kids.

Not much forethought into this match though by CSA organizers. KC u18 would be much more appropriate, or maybe a USL Super 20 team???

Yeah this is a tough one. I went looking for some kind of comparison. Other than the fact they play about 30x as many games as our guys do there doesn't seem to be much to it. Most of the competition is against other youth teams.

http://www.ussoccer.com/Teams/Youth/US-Under17-Men/Schedule-Results/2009.aspx

I just wish there was some kind of benchmark we could measure our progress on more regularly at the youth level. Watching something like this drivel in and no other news is pulling teeth.

We are talking about 15-16 yrs old players playing against 18-19-20-21 players who are coming from a top NCAA program. It's a tough test, specially for a group who hasn't played together much. I think some V's are too often guilty of looking too seriously at these results.

We are talking about 15-16 yrs old players playing against 18-19-20-21 players who are coming from a top NCAA program. It's a tough test, specially for a group who hasn't played together much. I think some V's are too often guilty of looking too seriously at these results.

I include myself in that category, but really, what's the point of taking on opponents we can't handle? "Now you know what it'll be like playing in World Cup qualifying, kids!"?

I include myself in that category, but really, what's the point of taking on opponents we can't handle? "Now you know what it'll be like playing in World Cup qualifying, kids!"?

Choosing opponents isn't perfect science and I prefer seeing them playing better teams than weaker teams. You can always work on your defensive shape in game like that and even if it ends with a 5-1 score the coach and players may have got something out of this game.

BTW, I'm not sure of which teams they could've played in Nebraska that would've provided a better matchup.

Archived