FC Edmonton is gonna be a joke

Let me blunt - this team is gonna go nowhere. The same tired old people - Petrone and Kowalchuk - are making the same dumb-a$$ decisions they always have.

Anyone that knows Alberta soccer can put together a list of who should be on that team. Or at least trying out. They actually have players being offered contracts that haven't ever played a minute in the AMSL. The AMSL ain't the best league in the world, but it is one of the best amateur leagues in Canada. Maybe the best. Callies always seem to win Nationals, so...

And when I say they have players being offered spots that haven't played Majors, I mean that it isn't because they haven't been around. It is because they would get cut. They are offering a guy almost 40 a contract, too, someone that hasn't played Major in over 4 years.

It's a joke. A good amsl team will beat them. Petrone is putting together a team that has no chance, and the dutch coaches will quit when they see this mess.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting perspective since we haven't actually seen a team yet. I for one would rather see a initial core of close to retirement professionals than a bunch of green Alberta kids. We've seen time and time again that untried amateurs simply don't cut it. As Div. II, NASL will always be a mix of up and comers and down and outers, the key will be to manage that mix.

I am serious that the alberta players especially edmonton players are not that good. Some of them are there only becuase of politics. and they are leaving excellent players out, ones with a-league experience, just because they might call these guys on their bulls**t.

I always find it funny that players who have been playing amateur soccer a couple of days a week think they are good enough for the A-Leage/USL/NASL level. There used to be that same perception in Vancouver. These are the people that should be buying tickets, not playing on the field.

In any case, there are 4 Alberta players on the recently released U-17 roster. These are the guys that FC Edmonton should be going after.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/news/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=4048

Well the "perception" was there in years past because it was true. And there will always be some players that ARE good enough but for whatever life choices/circumstances they are in, they can't commit to a professional footballer's life.

In terms of buying tickets, in Vancouver, the Whitecaps have never attempted to seriously target this group.

I always find it funny that players who have been playing amateur soccer a couple of days a week think they are good enough for the A-Leage/USL/NASL level. There used to be that same perception in Vancouver. These are the people that should be buying tickets, not playing on the field.

In any case, there are 4 Alberta players on the recently released U-17 roster. These are the guys that FC Edmonton should be going after.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/news/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=4048

I am serious that the alberta players especially edmonton players are not that good. Some of them are there only becuase of politics. and they are leaving excellent players out, ones with a-league experience, just because they might call these guys on their bulls**t.

Gotta just love baseless claims.

Until you have a legit source, or reasoning behind any of this, I gotta say it's full of shit.

All I am reading right now is the writing of someone who appears to be 12.

Gotta just love baseless claims.

Until you have a legit source, or reasoning behind any of this, I gotta say it's full of shit.

All I am reading right now is the writing of someone who appears to be 12.

^ i got to agree, it sounds like u have an agenda against certain people running the franchise. If you play soccer, u should perhaps send a tryout video and im sure the dutch coaches will give you a shot if they believe you are worth it.

TFCRegina, all I will say is that I know what I know. the claims aren't baseless - it is true. The dutch coaches aren't the ones bringing players into the training camp - it's the management. just wait and see if they send out the training camp roster. If anyone thinks that the players they have so far will be able to compete in the nasl against Montreal or whatever, they are kidding themselves.

Well twofoottackle does have it right that Petrone and Kowalchuk have had a few kicks at pro soccer in Edmonton, with limited success.

Well twofoottackle does have it right that Petrone and Kowalchuk have had a few kicks at pro soccer in Edmonton, with limited success.

Great, let's assume everything he says is a fact based on one thing that is well known within the Canadian soccer community. It's like saying, "Harper is going to turn Canada into a Nazi state. Harper is a member of the Conservative Party." And because The latter is true, so is the former.

All he's done is say a bunch of stuff, provided ZERO proof, and basically just smeared the owners of FC Edmonton. When the team is assembled, we'll judge.

Until then, he should shut the hell up and stop making baseless claims.

^ amen to that!

Lets see who turns up. both on the Pitch and in the stands. Thankfully they are leaving commonwealth well alone. so rattling about an empty bowl isnt going to happen. Personally i'm awaiting the Local flyers to appear and schedule to be published. Theres enough intrest in the town so long as the promotion is targeted appropriatley.

TFT I like your moniker but methinks I smell a spoiler here. Two foottackle sound like the alterego of a well informed sports jurno or agent testing the reaction of local canadian football fans on behalf of a third party if you ask me.:cool:

Then again I beleive the FBI are try to close our 'unamerican' game down anyway (what do you mean you didnt see the tripwire they set for Beckham in Milan?) but dont let my paranoia let me stop you.:rolleyes:

Hate to say but I have to join the worried and unoptimistic group on this one. Those two names do make me concerned, and hopefully all that is happening right now is that they are putting together a large pool of players for the Dutch coaches (could someone provide names for them again please) to evaluate. They've gotta leave this one up to those coaches, otherwise it's going to be a disaster.

Here's to hoping FC Edmonton is a success right out of the gate, both on and off the pitch!

Great, let's assume everything he says is a fact based on one thing that is well known within the Canadian soccer community. It's like saying, "Harper is going to turn Canada into a Nazi state. Harper is a member of the Conservative Party." And because The latter is true, so is the former.

All he's done is say a bunch of stuff, provided ZERO proof, and basically just smeared the owners of FC Edmonton. When the team is assembled, we'll judge.

Until then, he should shut the hell up and stop making baseless claims.

If you'd untie your panties you'll note that all I agreed to was that the two fellas in management have been there with limited success. Knock off the ultra-right shit.

Hate to say but I have to join the worried and unoptimistic group on this one. Those two names do make me concerned, and hopefully all that is happening right now is that they are putting together a large pool of players for the Dutch coaches (could someone provide names for them again please) to evaluate. They've gotta leave this one up to those coaches, otherwise it's going to be a disaster.

Here's to hoping FC Edmonton is a success right out of the gate, both on and off the pitch!

The names of the Two Coaches?

That would be Dwight (I use to play ,as a local boy from Turner Valley Alberta, , for the drillers) Lodeweges. and Hans (what has my mate Dwight got me in to?) Schrijver. If you check out the FC Edmonton Twitter feeds, they seem to be making 'minor waves' on the dutch football websites.:)

As an aside, Dwight took charge of training camps for EDSA over the spring break. and believe me the Locals who care about their soccer above Community league level were impressed. Perticulary as these camps were for the U10 to U14s; the demograph AFC Edmonton (sorry I slipped the A in again) are chasing to create both the academy and the fan base from.:D

My one downer is that apart from the twitter feeds the Website has not "regenerated" for at least two months. As NASL has commenced play . It should add some info.:(

If you'd untie your panties you'll note that all I agreed to was that the two fellas in management have been there with limited success. Knock off the ultra-right shit.

What ultra right shit? I made a comparsion between taking statements at face value because one was true.

Regardless, I'm dropping this conversation to head off a flame war.

Well, there were rumours of 2 or 3 Dutch players (including a keeper) being signed. If those are confirmed, then I think FC Edmonton might be going in the right direction as they will certainly need a veteran presence with a touch of class in order to compete in NASL. I can't really judge what moves they might be making with regards to the local players as NOTHING has actually been confirmed yet in terms of signings or even try-outs as far as I can tell. Speaking of which, why the lack of info??? I haven't been able to find anything with regards to a crest, team colours, or much of anything for this team yet. Are they not planning on playing a few friendlies in the coming months? You'd think they'd have at least the team colours/crest by now...

Well, there were rumours of 2 or 3 Dutch players (including a keeper) being signed. If those are confirmed, then I think FC Edmonton might be going in the right direction as they will certainly need a veteran presence with a touch of class in order to compete in NASL. I can't really judge what moves they might be making with regards to the local players as NOTHING has actually been confirmed yet in terms of signings or even try-outs as far as I can tell. Speaking of which, why the lack of info??? I haven't been able to find anything with regards to a crest, team colours, or much of anything for this team yet. Are they not planning on playing a few friendlies in the coming months? You'd think they'd have at least the team colours/crest by now...

Big NEWS! well for FCE anyway...

http://www.fcedmonton.com/

Looks as if, now theres clear water from the start of the season, FC Edmonton are about to start trawling through the cast off, wannabe's, and the 'Sod it, lets give it one last chancers' and get playing in the summer.

Now to some it may seem that only journeymen ever come from this senario, But I would ask the Older Caps fans to cast their minds back and see if they remember a certain English Lad from the North East, who passed by their way after been was passed up by Both Newcastle and Manchester United...

After three guys Beardo Beardo?:cool:

A little too Photoshop-chic for me. The emboss filter, guys? Really?

I could do something better. Seriously, FC Edmonton guys. I know you read this! I work cheap!

Everyone is a critic :)

I kind of like it. We'll see if the black & blue squares are the jersey colors too. I like 4 large squares for a jersey not chess board size like Croatia with the red & white. It works for them but I just prefer larger squares.

Archived