Philadelphia at Toronto - April 15th

tmcmurph

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One thing I think we did learn is that OBW has improved his game. Finally really seeing something there.

Barret is Barret I guess. But i will give him the benefit of the doubt until he misses a few more.

Except for the miss Barrett didn't have a bad game and TBH, DeRo miss was far worst....

Except for the miss Barrett didn't have a bad game and TBH, DeRo miss was far worst....

Barrett was dangerous and made a positive difference. I'm a Barrett hater and I'll say that.

Overall our attack was good, our defense was not, and our midfield gave away presents in the first half. The 2nd half was stronger.

Barrett was dangerous and made a positive difference. I'm a Barrett hater and I'll say that.

O'Brian White looked dangerous as well and arguably there should have been two penalties for TFC based on his runs into the box. If Barrett ends up in the 5 to 10 goal range and DeRosario is in the 10 to 15 range (3 in 3 games so far) TFC will be in good shape relative to most teams in the league. With Jacob Peterson back from injury the midfield is looking strong and balanced, while Stefan Frei's goalkeeping looks a lot more solid than it did in the later portion of last season so it all boils down to getting the back four sorted out.

Despite what happened on the goal conceded I thought Usanov looked quite promising especially when he made overlapping runs. If he can actually cross the ball and there were indications that he can he's an automatic upgrade on Marvell Wynne in attacking terms even if he doesn't have the same pace. Hscanovics could have been red carded, in my opinion, but overall it was good to see him bounce back so quickly from the last game. I think the left and right full back positions will sort itself out now. As things stand right now it all boils down to whether Adrian Cann can do the job that Nick Garcia was supposed to in order to actually deserve his guaranteed 200k. He exceeded my expectations in this game. Hopefully that will turn out to be the signing that turns the season around.

O'Brian White looked dangerous as well and arguably there should have been two penalties for TFC based on his runs into the box.

OBW almost fooled me on that first PK claim. I was 100 % that he had been fouled on that play but on the replay you can see that it's White who is grabbing the defender and then he goes down easily. Anyways, it doesn't really matter but I think the ref got it right on both situations.

With Jacob Peterson back from injury the midfield is looking strong and balanced,

Yea Peterson made some sweet final third passes. No panic on the ball just a few fakes to buy time then release. Foot to foot passes in the attacking phase will help TFC a lot. He really looks comfortable with the ball.

Thrilled we finally won but I cant help but think they are gonna bring in more players. The latvian isnt gonna cut it, and why or why is Cronin on the bench? White looked the best ive seen him and de Guzman needs somebody to play with besides dero.

I'll take the win but this team has a long way to go. The line-up in the first half was all wrong - De Ro as a lone striker doesn't work, especially when he's got 10 defensive players playing behind him. TFC wasn't able to create any offense at home against an expansion team playing it's third game - until they were lucky enough to have a Union player do something really stupid off the ball. We also got a bit lucky in that their keeper was horrible on DeRo's first goal off that stupid play by Mr. Mohawk. Things improved in the 2nd half with some actual offensive players brought on to balance out the team. I wasn't overly impressed with Peterson, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as it was his first game in some time so that may account for a rusty-looking performance. The Latvian (as I prefer to call him) makes me extremely nervous at left back - very reluctant to get forward, even when the opportunity presents itself, some poor clearances and passing and he's sure to get a straight red the way he goes in on some challenges. I think the opposition will continue to target this guy.

Saric had a very poor game, not surprised that he was taken off. Gargan looks better as a right back, doesn't provide enough going forward for a right-mid. Cann was better than I thought he would be - winning absolutely everything in the air, in a leage where a lot of balls are lobbed high, this could be a valuable asset for TFC. The true test will come with his first road game and against a team that isn't down to 10 men and is actually pressing offensively - because he looks to me like a very deliberate passer and probably wont' have as much time on the ball in road games. De Guzman isn't quite clicking as he should be - but in the first half this was because he was playing in some weird up-front behind DeRo only position. I thought he looked a bit frustrated out there at times, I suspect because a lot of the players on his team simply are not at his level, and I think that's going to take a lot of getting used to.

Hscanovics needs to cut out the rash challenges and stop getting yellow cards early in games. Once he does I think he'll do OK. Good left backs are hard to find so there are limits to what can reasonably be expected. If he was a hugely promising player his EU passport would have led to opportunities for him across Europe even allowing for the fact that the Latvian league is not exactly the best place to get noticed.

My guess would be that a trade is potentially in the works where Cronin is concerned. As was the case with Marvell Wynne if another coach rates him a lot more highly than Preki does it may be possible to get something/someone good back in exchange.

When no one on TFC knows how to challenge the ball from the other 18 deep into TFC defensive zone that ball is not so hard to play

Especially disturbing when TFC was a man to the good. It wasn't some speedy counterattack, either: the Union were afforded acres of space and eons of time to tic-tac-toe the ball up the field. Both Saric and Sanyang, entrusted with the job of breaking up these build ups, were AWOL on that play, having a good view of Torres' final pass. At least Sanyang's quickness in the tackle won some challenges out there, though his inconsistent first touch often again led to cheap possession losses. Saric? I can see why he was subbed: too anonymous in both phases of the game. I'm somewhat concerned that he's a half step behind the pace of things. I wouldn't mind seeing Cronin inserted in his place vs Colorado.

The Lativan guy: the jury is still deliberating. Seemed like he had a lot of poor distribution this evening and though he made a crucial block, I'm still unconvinced by his defensive capabilities. The Russian on the other side failed to have his head on a swivel for their goal. Cann's ability in the air makes him a huge upgrade on the vertically challenged Garcia. He and Attakora do a good job in that area, though neither will be mistaken for Rafa Marquez in terms of passing and possession from the back.

Labrocca is an underrated performer out there.

Only seen the second half of this one and this time they looked much better than in new england.

I think the problem with new guy is his defensive positioning but he seems pretty composed on the ball, overall i'm glad we picked him up because he appears to be technically sound player and hopefully the positioning will come with familiarity with the team.

Cann was great what can I say he won everything and good on the ball as well.

I agree that labrocca seems to be an underrated player.

White looked as lively and pacey as i've ever seen him I was surprised.

Overall, I really like the additions to this team, last season we had trouble moving the ball on the floor and keeping the ball now that has been addressed with these players.

At the risk of sounding negative, over a win...

...Given the fact that the Union were down a man for nearly 60 mins, the only thing that TFC was better in, was discipline. Otherwise, Philly appears to be the better side. More organized, more creativity and less give-aways, better finish.

Don't get me wrong, I thought philly deserved the penalties they got, but if Philly was more disciplined, they would have easily walked away with a win, just based on the first 30 min's. With Barretts continued lack of finish, an 11 v 11 game would have turned into a 1-nil win for Philly.

However, Cann had a great game, I think TFC has finally found a solution to their CB problems. Its the rest of the D that I'm still concerned about.

And is it just me, or are many of the returnees (minus De-Ro and De Guzman) out of shape?

I don't know how anyone can dispute the red card on Julian. That tatooed peacock centreback got what he deserved, motherf*cker trying to take Julian's head off.

I was quite impressed at how much more confident Cann is on the ball after his stint abroad. He and Attakora were a big improvement over the last defensive outing. I must say I can't imagine they looked too hard for that Latvian left back. He will be missing a lot of games on YC accumulation alone, not to mention the possibility of being RC'd every time he goes in for a challenge.

The PK for White was also a correct call.

A win for TFC but not a pretty one. Hopefully though they gain a bit of confidence from this and can go on and play well for 90 minutes against 11 men on Sunday.

Oh - and let me just say that Chad Barrett is no Garret Kusch!!

Had a great time at Shoeless Joe watching the Red Patch boys getting ready for a next season. Singing their little hearts out in the bar,even instructing on the new lirics to be sung and off they went. Just so amazing to me and so extremely wonderfull. I am kind of jealous not being one of them I guess I am getting to old ,yet I also realized that I was watching great soccer history in the making. there are not that many left that can relate to the old days.

It was even more striking reading that we outdrew the Blue Jays and that the average attendance in soccer is higher than any other sport. Yet I ended up watching TSN suffered through a million minutes of advertising,baseball,hockey,boxing etc etc,but not a word about us guys. I knew that these guys have a hang up about soccer but this is ridiculous.

Last nights game that no 34 is a total disaster and needs to be gone asap. He made five very bad passing mistakes,the yellow and simply no skill,no idea and not up to this level.

My nemesis Dwayne was superb and he sure is heart and sole of our team.White my other boy from Scarborough was above average while Julian is still playing out of position.

Anyway,thanks Red Patch boys no matter what you made my day.Come to think of it I did sign up as a member and realized taking their tradition and history that I at age 8 witnessed the Red Patch boys liberate Holland, Some story and some new army.AMAZING WHAT SPIRIT AND WHAT A FUTURE.

There is something about the Canadian youths that really strikes me as being so wonderfull.

Had a great time at Shoeless Joe watching the Red Patch boys getting ready for a next season. Singing their little hearts out in the bar,even instructing on the new lirics to be sung and of they went. Just so amazing to me and so extremely wonderfull. I am kind of jealous not being one of them I guess I am getting to old ,yet I also realized that I was watching great soccer history in the making. there are not that many that can relate to the old days.

It was even more striking reading that we outdrew the Blue jays and that the average attendance in soccer is higher than any other sport. Yet I ended up watching TSN suffered through a million minutes of advertising,baseball,hockey,boxing etc etc,but not a word about us guys. I knew that these guys have a hang up about soccer but this is ridiculous.

Last nights game that no 24 is a total disaster and needs to be gone asap. He made five very bad passing mistakes,the yellow and simply no skill,no idea and not up to this level.

My nemesis Dwayne was superb and he sure is heart and sole of our team.White my other boy from Scarborough was above average while Julian is still playing out of position.

Anyway,thanks Red Patch boys no matter what you made my day.Come to think of it I did sign up as a member and realized taking their tradition and history that I am theoratically the one that witnessed the Red Patch boys liberating Holland, Some story and some new army.AMAZING WHAT SPIRIT.

John, number 24 is Stefan Frei. I guess you are talking about number 34?

Thought TFC was very lucky that Philly's lack of discipline caught up with them again.

The blunder by the keeper on the late pk cost the Union dearly, and gifted the game to TFC.

TFC had decent build up, for once imho, but no finish.

Caan looked good at the back for TFC, and for me was their best player on the day, save the terrible defending en masse on the Philly goal, do they have any clue about marking men or space (One or the other ffs?!!)

really think it is another season of suffering for TFC supporters, I just don't see how this team is going to get any better in next little while, hopefully they can get their act together (for the good of our Nats team players only ;) ) throughout the middle and late stages of this season.

Archived