Philadelphia at Toronto - April 15th

tmcmurph

Starting line up as handed to John Molinaro according to his 'tweet':

Frei, Usanov, Hscanovics, Cann, Attakora, Saric, Sanyang, Gargan, De Guzman, Labrocca, DeRosario

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To be fair the ball in for the Philly goal was quite something

When no one on TFC knows how to challenge the ball from the other 18 deep into TFC defensive zone that ball is not so hard to play .. TFC clearly is not in any form to meet Montreal in the V Cup.. Preki has clearly demoralized the team, perhaps he needed to do it.. but its going to be long long season ... with little upside if TFC players dont start being professionals.

Sad the failure in Toronto its hurting soccer in Canada.. lets hope Whitecaps and Montreal can pick up the mantle when they are in MLS and Torronto can be the league joke it appears to want to be .....

Who knew Julian could act like that! Save it for WCQ.

Are you kidding me? JDG got that elbow right in the face, clear red card and no acting award for JDG.

Before the Philly CB decided to foul JDG, TFC were doing nothing offensively. DeRo alone upfront doesn't work well IMO. He's making too much runs behind the defense and TFC is lacking a target man presence.

I also agree with DeVos when he says JDG is better at DM position, luckily for Preki, it paid out to play him at OM position tonight.

Bad goal at the end. Maybe some communication problems with the russian who didn't look like he was aware of the run behind him.

Trillium, I watched the Montreal - Austin game, Montreal really looked bad too, so it might be hard to watch Montreal - Toronto

Ah.. but it was in Austin and was not South by Southwest on the big party for rock bands etc ? In any case .. glad to see Barrett in form missing the barn door again.

If there's such a thing as a bad win, that is it. What an abject performance bookended by two fortunate goals.

You are being a little bit harsh. TFC did attack a lot more in the second half (of course they had the man advantage) and were looking more comfortable on the build up, adding OBW and Barrett did help in that department.

One thing is sure, TFC were lucky to get those breaks (red card, Seitz making 2 crucial mistakes) and we don't know what would've happened if Philly didn't played an hour with a man down.

I'm intrigue by Cann and Nana at CB and looking forward to see how they work together for a full 90 min against a better opponent.

After the sending off, Toronto started to play like a team that was playing a home opener against an expansion side. Not a team playing a home opener against an expansion side down to 10 men.

Toronto was fortunate twice on the Califf incident (De Guzman clearly conned a yellow into a red), and the penalty decision wasn't clear cut.

I was glad to see De Guzman set up some nice chances, though they were ultimately wasted by, who else, Barrett.

After the sending off, Toronto started to play like a team that was playing a home opener against an expansion side. Not a team playing a home opener against an expansion side down to 10 men.

Toronto was fortunate twice on the Califf incident (De Guzman clearly conned a yellow into a red), and the penalty decision wasn't clear cut.

I was glad to see De Guzman set up some nice chances, though they were ultimately wasted by, who else, Barrett.

I didn't think it was a penalty at first, but OBW got to the ball first. So... who knows...

"Win you must" the sign said in big bold letters and win they did. Cann gets MOTM in my book. After the game Frei said "he got to everything in the air" and seemed quite relieved to have Nana & Adrian in front of him. The left and right back had their moments but also were a tad shaky at times. OBW really made a difference when he came on.

PK was a legit call. At first I thought the goalie had got to it but the replay showed OBW nicked it first. The sending off was a tad harsh because I didn't think that JDG could have gotten to the ball but the straight-arm to the head was just stupid and it was nice to see the other team making blunders for a change.

Well that was a very much needed 3 points. Well done, now steal 1 (or 3 :) ) from Colorado on the road.

Oh yea the Philly goal. Great curving pass, great reception and great shot. You could blame the defender but those are just getting beaten not blundering back passes and giving up breakaways.

"Win you must" the sign said in big bold letters and win they did. Cann gets MOTM in my book. After the game Frei said "he got to everything in the air" and seemed quite relieved to have Nana & Adrian in front of him. The left and right back had their moments but also were a tad shaky at times. OBW really made a difference when he came on.

PK was a legit call. At first I thought the goalie had got to it but the replay showed OBW nicked it first. The sending off was a tad harsh because I didn't think that JDG could have gotten to the ball but the straight-arm to the head was just stupid and it was nice to see the other team making blunders for a change.

Well that was a very much needed 3 points. Well done, now steal 1 (or 3 :) ) from Colorado on the road.

Agreed about Cann, and I was shocked. This is a guy who hasn't really played more than a few competitive games since he moved to Denmark, and wasn't really anything special before that.

Despite New Guy's block on that shot, I think he is a liability. The way he dove in on one challenge and got completely burned. I am not saying defenders should never get beaten, but he just lunged in. You don't do that.

Despite New Guy's block on that shot, I think he is a liability. The way he dove in on one challenge and got completely burned. I am not saying defenders should never get beaten, but he just lunged in. You don't do that.

Not to mention that every time he gets the ball he hoofs it right back to the other team's centre half.

Not to mention that every time he gets the ball he hoofs it right back to the other team's centre half.

And oddly enough, the one time they worked it around the back and caught 3 Philly players behind the ball when it came to him on the outside, he passed back again....WTF!!! That was the time to move forward....

Oh yea the Philly goal. Great curving pass, great reception and great shot. You could blame the defender but those are just getting beaten not blundering back passes and giving up breakaways.

It didn't matter if Julian could get to the ball or not. The red was for violent conduct, an elbow in the face. On the replay it seemed like Toledo had a perfect view of what happened. I think this was deserved.

As for the PK, clear cut PK IMO, Seitz never touched the ball and got the man. Of course, this was a lucky break for TFC since OBW was going nowhere dangerous for Philly.

Overall, I don't think you can learn much about TFC from that game but in the end I think they deserved the win.

Archived