Canadians in MLS

loyola

I would prefer not to taint what it means to be a Canadian NT player by having a player who only represents us because his Mom lived here for 5 years. But it is what it is and this is the world we live in.

As for the Mexican fans being pissed about him, well, that's about as silly as us being pissed at some half decent player with parents from the Caribbean representing their country at the youth level. If the kid is NEVER going to be good enough to represent us then what's the harm? Same goes for Isidro, the few times i've seen him play for Puebla on FSWC he looked like a decent MFL player, but he's FAR from being good enough to play for the Mexican Sr. NT.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It woudln't be the first time a player for Canada played for us without ever seeing the country before, Marc Bircham anyone?

I have no problems with players getting to choose where they can play if they have the choice. It's has its pros and cons yeah, but I have nothing against the players who choose a different country than Canada, and I don't think we can sit here and judge them as people who are like purebred Canadians and should have no connections to any other country.

The players who have left Canada for another country generally have grown up in these countries they chose, they have been there since they were like there pre-teen years, and I don't know about you guys but those are very impressionable years for people. As well as when your given a choice that big at usually a young age, you look outside for advice and sometimes that can be the telling tale. Especially when your in a Club youth system where the majority of players are all in the same National Youth system

The players who have left Canada for another country generally have grown up in these countries they chose, they have been there since they were like there pre-teen years, and I don't know about you guys but those are very impressionable years for people.

I don't know which examples you're thinking of, but one of the earliest and most obvious examples was born and raised in Canada and had not lived a single day in England before representing that country, and indeed for several years afterwards. The description you give really only applies to Jono de Guzman, and most of us were relatively sympathetic to his decision to go Dutch, even though that looks not to be panning out.

- Dejan Jakovic started at centre back for DC United as they hosted Philadelphia Union in a clash of eastern conference bottom feeders. Jakovic played the full 90 minutes in a 2-0 win.

- Teal Bunbury was suspended for Kansas City's 4-1 win over New England Revolution.

- Pat Onstad made his return to the starting lineup following surgery, and Andre Hainault started at left back for Houston Dynamo. Both played 90 minutes in a 4-3 victory over Chicago Fire.

- Ante Jazic started and played 82 minutes for Chivas USA in a 1-0 loss to FC Dallas. Edson Edward was on the bench for Dallas.

- Greg Sutton was on the bench for New York Red Bull's 4-1 win at Toronto FC.

CONCACAF Champions League

Will Johnson starting for Real Salt Lake as they try to beat Cruz Azul at home on a pitch that looks like the Gulf of Mexico. 4-3 Cruz Azul ties it in the 88th minute then goes ahead less than a minute later, 4 goals from Orozco.

Johnson SCORES in injury time! 4-4......

Unbelievable, Cruz Azul then puts another shot in the net, 5-4 final for the Mexican team.

Edson Edward is on the subs bench for FC Dallas who are away at Columbus.

0 : 0 first half

They have made all three subs, without using Edward again. It surprises me that given how often he has been on the bench, they haven't even thrown him in for a few minutes here or there, even for a confidence boost while ahead or with the game already lost. As it stands he is is essentially like a back-up keeper - must be frustrating.

Teal Bunbury was a 79th minute sub for Kansas City in a 2-0 victory at LA Galaxy.

Will Johnson came off the bench on 68 minutes as RSL get a 0-0 draw at Toronto FC.

Pat Onstad and Andre Hainault played 90 minutes for Houston Dynamo in a 3-0 loss at Kansas City.

Greg Sutton, as usual on the bench for New York in a 2-0 win over San Jose.

Sept 4

-With their first stringer away on international duty, Sutton started Saturday and played a pretty decent match vs RSL:

GK – Greg Sutton: Can’t be faulted at all on RSL’s fourth-minute goal and made a superb save on Robbie Findley at the 35th-minute mark – maybe the best one in MLS this season. Took his knocks and made his stops. A great showing. Rating: 7.5

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/rbny-player-ratings-after-loss-salt-lake

- Jazic played 90 for Chivas as they got banged up 3-0 by Colorado. Is the 34 year old still Canada's 3rd choice at LB, I wonder?

- the enigmatic Edson Edward (does this guy really exist or is he a figment of my own imagination) makes the bench but again fails to get his first minute of regular season action

- reluctant Canadian Bunbury played 90 behind the lone striker as KC drew Philly 1-1

Sept 5

-Onstad and Hainault (again at RB if anyone is reading this) pplayed 90 and Serioux got in at min 83 as Houston lost 2-1 to Geovanni-led SJ

-Onstad and Hainault (again at RB if anyone is reading this) pplayed 90 and Serioux got in at min 83 as Houston lost 2-1 to Geovanni-led SJ

How much has he played this year? I could see him being made available for either Vancouver or Portland next season in an expansion draft.

Kinnear has had a tough year rebuilding his squad after the losses of Holden and Clark. Are his core guys simply over the hill?

Tonight:

Chivas 0-2 Kansas City

- Teal Bunbury comes in at min 55 and scores KC second goal (84th min)

- Ante Jazic played the whole game for Chivas

Yesterday:

RSL 1-0 Chicago

- Will Johnson played the whole game for RSL

Los Angeles 2-1 DC United

- Dejan Jakovic played the whole game for DC United

- Dejan Jakovic played the whole game for DC United

And would probably really, REALLY like a second chance on Donovan's first goal!!!

Jakovic confuses me. He clearly has the confidence to try and actually play the ball out of the back which is refreshing to see, particularly for someone so young, but he just seems far to prone to Garcia-like errors. Yes, DC is terrible so I'm sure his surroundings aren't helping but you just can't make mistake after mistake. It absolutely kills the confidence of your teammates. It feels like wvery other time I see DC highlights Jakovic has committed another clanger.

• 2 weeks later...

Philadelphia 1 - 1 Houston

Pat Onstad, Andrew Hainault and Adrian Serioux all go 90 for Houston. Hainault SCORES the goal.

New York Red Bulls 1 - 0 Kansas City

Teal Bunbury starts and plays 90 for the Wizards. Sutton on the bench for New York.

New England 1 - 2 Real Salt Lake

Will Johnson played the whole game for RSL.

FC Dallas (Edward) 3 - 0 Chicago - Edson Edward an unused sub.

Colorado 0 - 1 DC United (Jakovic) - Dejan went 90 minutes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some post-season commentary from a Houston blog:

http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogsoccer/2010/11/dynamo_season_review_down_year.html

Andrew Hainault

Hainault may have been the best defender this year. His positional awareness improved from 2009 to 2010 and he did not allow speedy wingers to expose him often. For proof look at the season finale against Seattle where he held Steve Zakuani in check for much of the match. He also showed that he can play effectively on the left side, something I had concerns about after the 2009 season. Where Hainault improved the most was in attack. His service and ball handling from the flanks improved quite a bit from 2009 to 2010. Adding two goals on set pieces late in the year was a nice way to end the season and shows that he is a definite building block for 2011.

Adrian Serioux

Serioux was a pleasant surprise this year. He showed more agility and recovery speed than I expected when he was brought in and his usual physical nature gave way to a more tactical approach. He was the best of the defenders at providing an agile centerback able to run with attackers and provided help in the attack. His long throws are always a weapon and he was a weapon on set pieces. I have heard several people suggest that Serioux should be let go but count me in the camp that thinks he needs to be brought back to provide depth at both defender and midfield.

(Interesting fact: Andre Hainault played more minutes than any other Dynamo player this past season: 2,376)

• 1 month later...

Archived