Canadians in MLS

loyola

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Columbus Crew 0-1 Kansas City Wizards

GOAL : http://www.mlssoccer.com/videos?catid=114&id=6832

TEAL BUNBURY plays 90 minutes and scores the winner in the 14th minute for Kansas City on the road. Bunburys first MLS goal ends a 3 game losing streak for KC.

rookie-bunburys-first-mls-goals-helps-wizards-surprise-east-leaders

I'll quote John Collins on that "poooor goalkeeping" but congrats to Teal for his first MLS goal, hope this is the first of many!

Dejan Jakovic started for D.C. United up against the LA Galaxy. 1-2 Galaxy final. Jakovic pulled out injured in the 68th minute, hopefully nothing too serious.

..In the Superliga

Adrian Serioux and Andre Hainault get the start for Houston as they take on Ante Jazic and Chivas USA. Serioux cramps up in the 82nd minute and is subbed off. 1-1 final.

Aug 4th - Isidro Sanchez started for Puebla against New England in the Superliga Semifinal. He was subbed out at half time. The game was a 1-1 draw with New England advancing on penalties.

Aug 5th - Andrew Hainault played the full 90 as Houston lost 1-0 to Morelia in the other Superliga Semifinal. No Serioux.

No Edson Edward as Dallas ties Inter Milan 2-2.

Aug 7th - 90 minutes and a yellow card for Ante Jazic as Chivas USA lose 2-1 to TFC.

No Dejan Jakovic as DC United lost yet again, this time 1-0 to New England.

90 minutes and yellow cards for both Teal Bunbury and Will Johnson as KC and RSL played to a 1-1 draw.

Aug 8th - No Edson Edward as Dallas beat Philly 3-1.

Andrew Hainault played the full 90 as Houston lost 2-0 to Seattle. No Serioux.

Aug 4th - Isidro Sanchez started for Puebla against New England in the Superliga Semifinal. He was subbed out at half time. The game was a 1-1 draw with New England advancing on penalties.

Thanks for the reminder of Sanchez. I found this recent article (in Spanish) which mentions that he blew out his left knee and had surgery last October and has had a long recovery, which helps to explain why he pretty much disappeared there for a while.

He's still only 23 and is listed as a forward/attacking midfielder so I wonder if Hart will give him another look at some point: http://www.mediotiempo.com/futbol/mexico/noticias/2010/07/20/clasificar-a-semifinales-era-un-objetivo-isidro-sanchez

Did anyone see or has anyone seen Sanchez play?

This report on him is from the U23 Olympic qualifiers two years ago:

"He’s not a very athletic player, but tactically and technically he’s shrewd, and 1 on 1 he’s superb. Plus he’s been playing in the Mexican 1st Division which is a strong level of play."

http://www.canucks-abroad.com/content/dasovic-speaks-eve-olympic-qualifiers-final-roster-set?page=5

Aug 8th - Andrew Hainault played the full 90 as Houston lost 2-0 to Seattle. No Serioux.

And no Onstad, injured.

Went to this game at Qwest, standing the entire time in the South End. Incredible how many fans stand at Sounders games, for the first 15 min about half the 36,000 were on their feet. Recommend a visit if you are near. With the closed upper tiers there and at BC Place it is going to be interesting to see how many fans travel next season between Van and Seattle, just saying as there is space available if they want to open it up.

Andrew did a good job, had little trouble on his side at r back, went forward for corner kicks and was hauled down a couple of times with no call, he is tall and they mark him hard on the set pieces. All the problems came down the other side, with Nyassi, a really hot wing from Gambia who I see in Europe asap. Sounders were better, more solid, more scoring options, and you can see Houston struggling, but Hainault is not one of the problems as far as I could see on Sunday.

Thanks for the reminder of Sanchez. I found this recent article (in Spanish) which mentions that he blew out his left knee and had surgery last October and has had a long recovery, which helps to explain why he pretty much disappeared there for a while.

He's still only 23 and is listed as a forward/attacking midfielder so I wonder if Hart will give him another look at some point: http://www.mediotiempo.com/futbol/mexico/noticias/2010/07/20/clasificar-a-semifinales-era-un-objetivo-isidro-sanchez

It seems some Mexican MNT followers are quite upset that Sanchez chose to play for Canada. He was born/raised in Mexico and plays for his home town of Puebla, Mexico.

Unlike Jono De Guzman, he lived many years in the Netherlands, Sanchez has never actually lived in Canada. He got citizenship through his mother, who only spent 5 years in Canada before getting citizenship. His mother has since moved back to Mexico.

If Sanchez turns out to be a big player for the Canadian MNT in the future, I guess thats ONE example of the "benefits" of "Canadian citizens of convieniance" :D

The negative reaction by Mexican fans on Big Soccer is basically a toned down version of the V's reaction to Jono's decision... tho some Mexican fans went out of their way to defend his decision as a good decision for his career.

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=669187

It seems some Mexican MNT followers are quite upset that Sanchez chose to play for Canada. He was born/raised in Mexico and plays for his home town of Puebla, Mexico.

Unlike Jono De Guzman, he lived many years in the Netherlands, Sanchez has never actually lived in Canada. He got citizenship through his mother, who only spent 5 years in Canada before getting citizenship. His mother has since moved back to Mexico.

If Sanchez turns out to be a big player for the Canadian MNT in the future, I guess thats ONE example of the "benefits" of "Canadian citizens of convieniance" :D

The negative reaction by Mexican fans on Big Soccer is basically a toned down version of the V's reaction to Jono's decision... tho some Mexican fans went out of their way to defend his decision as a good decision for his career.

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=669187

If he chose to play for us, he's not a citizen of convenience. He's a Canadian. Canadians who choose to represent another country are citizens of convenience.

If he chose to play for us, he's not a citizen of convenience. He's a Canadian. Canadians who choose to represent another country are citizens of convenience.

In Soccer terminology, I agree with you with the definition of a Canadian of Convenience (ie: Jono, ********** etc...)

However, when I used the term Canadian of Convenience, I was using it as a political reference to how his mother obtained citizenship.

She came to Canada (legally), got citizenship after 5 years, then left, easy peazy.... That's a Citizen of Convenience. She doesn't live or work here, doesn't pay taxes here, yet, if she got sick and couldn't afford medical coverage, or if Mexico went into all out war, she can come back to Canada and abuse our social safety net....

That's how her son, Sanchez got citizenship. Never lived here, never paid taxes here, but benefits from everything that Canada has to offer...

... In this case however, if Sanchez becomes a major fixture in our MNT, the whole citizenship of convenience thing that his mother pulled, would come back to benefit Canada through Soccer.

Archived